A very cool experience!
On a tour last year in Tanzania Africa, we were working the trails in a great park called Lake Maranyara. We stop for our lunch at a group area near the dried up lake, so I quickly “wolfed” down my chicken and snacks, and started working the area on foot.
Nickson gave me a bit of rope, but said not to move out of sight. Well, I stretched it a bit! On the way into the lunch area we photographed some bee-eaters from a “high point of view” in the safari truck. I knew for a fact I would never be happy with these images, so trekking back to this location on foot was a bit of a risk. Eventually I did get yelled at!
Since I left my support kit at home, I was working hand held, and crawling on the brush near the Little Bee-eaters favorite perch. Nudging in closer as the birds were very tolerant with me, I finally got into a suitable angle, (low), and a good distance that I was happy with. ( this process usually take up to hours, but I was in a great position in about 10 minutes.) – and no hide needed!
These birds are so active, eating and hunting non-stop through the mid afternoon. Some light cloud cover became my friend, as diffused light mid-day is the ultimate. I had seen many bee-eaters eating everything but bees, so this was a cool find.
This was an excellent location to wander and shoot. The birds were familiar with people, and unafraid. An excellent day! (Tripod on my next trip and my awesome Jobu Pro Head)
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of Alaska.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7266 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3191 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [2945 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting in Kyrgystan be banned? – [1716 Views]
- POLL: Should SeaWorld be closed down? – [1520 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? – [1115 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone’s Iconic Grizzly Bears be Stripped of Federal Protection? – [1013 Views]
- POLL: Should roadside zoos be closed down? – [976 Views]
- Karma? Another Trophy Hunter Has Been Killed by an Elephant [859 Views]
- POLL: Should we prevent our cats from killing birds? – [813 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7976 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2068 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [2028 Views]