A very cool experience!
On a tour last year in Tanzania Africa, we were working the trails in a great park called Lake Maranyara. We stop for our lunch at a group area near the dried up lake, so I quickly “wolfed” down my chicken and snacks, and started working the area on foot.
Nickson gave me a bit of rope, but said not to move out of sight. Well, I stretched it a bit! On the way into the lunch area we photographed some bee-eaters from a “high point of view” in the safari truck. I knew for a fact I would never be happy with these images, so trekking back to this location on foot was a bit of a risk. Eventually I did get yelled at!
Since I left my support kit at home, I was working hand held, and crawling on the brush near the Little Bee-eaters favorite perch. Nudging in closer as the birds were very tolerant with me, I finally got into a suitable angle, (low), and a good distance that I was happy with. ( this process usually take up to hours, but I was in a great position in about 10 minutes.) – and no hide needed!
These birds are so active, eating and hunting non-stop through the mid afternoon. Some light cloud cover became my friend, as diffused light mid-day is the ultimate. I had seen many bee-eaters eating everything but bees, so this was a cool find.
This was an excellent location to wander and shoot. The birds were familiar with people, and unafraid. An excellent day! (Tripod on my next trip and my awesome Jobu Pro Head)
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of Alaska.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2470 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1798 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1779 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1540 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1277 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1053 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [948 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [841 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral horses be controlled by aerial culling? [727 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16838 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14125 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12669 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11132 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8641 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7428 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5378 Views]