A very cool experience!
On a tour last year in Tanzania Africa, we were working the trails in a great park called Lake Maranyara. We stop for our lunch at a group area near the dried up lake, so I quickly “wolfed” down my chicken and snacks, and started working the area on foot.
Nickson gave me a bit of rope, but said not to move out of sight. Well, I stretched it a bit! On the way into the lunch area we photographed some bee-eaters from a “high point of view” in the safari truck. I knew for a fact I would never be happy with these images, so trekking back to this location on foot was a bit of a risk. Eventually I did get yelled at!
Since I left my support kit at home, I was working hand held, and crawling on the brush near the Little Bee-eaters favorite perch. Nudging in closer as the birds were very tolerant with me, I finally got into a suitable angle, (low), and a good distance that I was happy with. ( this process usually take up to hours, but I was in a great position in about 10 minutes.) – and no hide needed!
These birds are so active, eating and hunting non-stop through the mid afternoon. Some light cloud cover became my friend, as diffused light mid-day is the ultimate. I had seen many bee-eaters eating everything but bees, so this was a cool find.
This was an excellent location to wander and shoot. The birds were familiar with people, and unafraid. An excellent day! (Tripod on my next trip and my awesome Jobu Pro Head)
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of Alaska.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1113 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [1045 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [1005 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [955 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [808 Views]
- 10 of the Most Endangered Species on Earth [798 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [694 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [669 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump be allowed to destroy the Endangered Species Act [644 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [614 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42098 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12092 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11134 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8670 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8256 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8075 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7443 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5416 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4675 Views]