A very cool experience!
On a tour last year in Tanzania Africa, we were working the trails in a great park called Lake Maranyara. We stop for our lunch at a group area near the dried up lake, so I quickly “wolfed” down my chicken and snacks, and started working the area on foot.
Nickson gave me a bit of rope, but said not to move out of sight. Well, I stretched it a bit! On the way into the lunch area we photographed some bee-eaters from a “high point of view” in the safari truck. I knew for a fact I would never be happy with these images, so trekking back to this location on foot was a bit of a risk. Eventually I did get yelled at!
Since I left my support kit at home, I was working hand held, and crawling on the brush near the Little Bee-eaters favorite perch. Nudging in closer as the birds were very tolerant with me, I finally got into a suitable angle, (low), and a good distance that I was happy with. ( this process usually take up to hours, but I was in a great position in about 10 minutes.) – and no hide needed!
These birds are so active, eating and hunting non-stop through the mid afternoon. Some light cloud cover became my friend, as diffused light mid-day is the ultimate. I had seen many bee-eaters eating everything but bees, so this was a cool find.
This was an excellent location to wander and shoot. The birds were familiar with people, and unafraid. An excellent day! (Tripod on my next trip and my awesome Jobu Pro Head)
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of Alaska.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1641 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1621 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1609 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1219 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1152 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [967 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [824 Views]
- POLL: Could U.S. endangered species rules go extinct under Trump? [727 Views]
- Why do birds sing? [634 Views]
- An elk’s-eye view of migrating through Yellowstone [569 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42056 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16800 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13853 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8614 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8116 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8048 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7417 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6115 Views]