I recently had to make a sudden trip home to Australia due to the passing away of my mother. Amidst the sadness of the occasion I managed to escape at times to the relative solitude of the national park which borders my family home in Killarney on the Southern Downs of Queensland, or for walks on the outskirts of the town or even just taking the camera out onto the back verandah.
There I encountered the usual suspects but, as always, their beauty and antics served to cheer me up somewhat. Some of the better photos are below.
Next week I return to Australia, during which time I hope to be able to have to chance to photograph some of the more uncommon birds and perhaps even a rarity or two!
Share on social media:
You may also like:
John Wright is an Australian wildlife photographer and bird guide based in Kyushu, Japan. John became seriously engaged in nature photography while living in Japan and then Thailand. He returned to Japan in 2008 and has since concentrated on wildlife photography, especially birds. John visits Southeast Asia and Australia regularly, but usually travels within the Japanese archipelago, where he also guides visiting birders and wildlife photography enthusiasts.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Saudi authorities sound warning on illegal hunting in rented farms [1499 Views]
- POLL: Should fox-hunting laws be strictly enforced? [1329 Views]
- POLL: Should the bear bile trade ban be strictly enforced? [1068 Views]
- POLL: Should the harvesting of wild turtles be banned? [925 Views]
- POLL: Should this Canadian pipeline project be scrapped to save killer whales? [894 Views]
- Elephant refugees flee to last stronghold in Africa [826 Views]
- The man saving 30,000 seabirds [797 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [785 Views]
- 7 stunning forest birds we could soon lose forever [777 Views]
- 14 Incredible photos of African predators in action [757 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41943 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16665 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14025 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13461 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11096 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8673 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8482 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8289 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8021 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7321 Views]