A quick game of “sit and wait!”
At this location near Sattal, (a 5 hour train ride north of Delhi, and a 1 hour drive), we found a small creek, with the help of our expert guides. Most of this creek was wide open, running into a small pond, but the interesting thing about this specific location is that the creek ran right up to a dense bush, adjacent to a thick forest.
The birds of this area would use the bush as a security location, and sneak quietly out to the creek for water and bathing. With some carefully prepared perches, and a bunch of photographers who were willing to sit still and wait, we were able to gather some superb shooting until the sun went down in the late afternoon.
Tough to get a good angle, as these birds liked the lower perch locations, but always fun with a challenge. Long days trekking around the southern Himalayas, lots of great exercise, and great company. We always looked forward to returning to our home base, for an excellent meal.
The owl was a surprise! We were already heading down the trail, when our guide called to my partner, Caesar Sengupta, and told him this wee owl had just flown into a perch within 30 yards of our vehicles. Such awesome luck. Slightly larger then a Saw-whet owl, this bird has feathers on the back of its head that look like eyes.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2436 Views]
- Trophy Hunter Gets Eaten by Crocodiles [1894 Views]
- Scientists Discover Rare and Endangered Cat in Borneo [974 Views]
- POLL: Should the inter-breeding of lions and tigers be banned? [884 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [839 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for exceeding its bluefin tuna quota? [838 Views]
- POLL: Should the illegal wildlife trade in slow lorises be stopped? [838 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [793 Views]
- 10 of the Most Endangered Species on Earth [731 Views]
- POLL: Should the giraffe be listed as an endangered species? [727 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42085 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16868 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12273 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12117 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11135 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8655 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8291 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8074 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7437 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5383 Views]