A quick game of “sit and wait!”
At this location near Sattal, (a 5 hour train ride north of Delhi, and a 1 hour drive), we found a small creek, with the help of our expert guides. Most of this creek was wide open, running into a small pond, but the interesting thing about this specific location is that the creek ran right up to a dense bush, adjacent to a thick forest.
The birds of this area would use the bush as a security location, and sneak quietly out to the creek for water and bathing. With some carefully prepared perches, and a bunch of photographers who were willing to sit still and wait, we were able to gather some superb shooting until the sun went down in the late afternoon.
Tough to get a good angle, as these birds liked the lower perch locations, but always fun with a challenge. Long days trekking around the southern Himalayas, lots of great exercise, and great company. We always looked forward to returning to our home base, for an excellent meal.
The owl was a surprise! We were already heading down the trail, when our guide called to my partner, Caesar Sengupta, and told him this wee owl had just flown into a perch within 30 yards of our vehicles. Such awesome luck. Slightly larger then a Saw-whet owl, this bird has feathers on the back of its head that look like eyes.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- 13 newly-discovered birds declared extinct » [754 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [750 Views]
- Iceland’s Seabird Colonies Are Vanishing, With “Massive” Chick Deaths » [555 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [478 Views]
- The 1,300 Bird Species Facing Extinction Signal Threats to Human Health » [423 Views]
- Barn owls ‘threatened’ by new legislation » [396 Views]
- Russia Stops Japanese Whaling Ship Dead In Its Tracks » [384 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [329 Views]
- Petition: Russia, Stop Wild Orca Captures! » [317 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [296 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12268 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [8582 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7932 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7441 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7015 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5638 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [5430 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5210 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4693 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4398 Views]