A quick game of “sit and wait!”
At this location near Sattal, (a 5 hour train ride north of Delhi, and a 1 hour drive), we found a small creek, with the help of our expert guides. Most of this creek was wide open, running into a small pond, but the interesting thing about this specific location is that the creek ran right up to a dense bush, adjacent to a thick forest.
The birds of this area would use the bush as a security location, and sneak quietly out to the creek for water and bathing. With some carefully prepared perches, and a bunch of photographers who were willing to sit still and wait, we were able to gather some superb shooting until the sun went down in the late afternoon.
Tough to get a good angle, as these birds liked the lower perch locations, but always fun with a challenge. Long days trekking around the southern Himalayas, lots of great exercise, and great company. We always looked forward to returning to our home base, for an excellent meal.
The owl was a surprise! We were already heading down the trail, when our guide called to my partner, Caesar Sengupta, and told him this wee owl had just flown into a perch within 30 yards of our vehicles. Such awesome luck. Slightly larger then a Saw-whet owl, this bird has feathers on the back of its head that look like eyes.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Saudi authorities sound warning on illegal hunting in rented farms [1489 Views]
- POLL: Should the harvesting of wild turtles be banned? [915 Views]
- POLL: Should this Canadian pipeline project be scrapped to save killer whales? [870 Views]
- The man saving 30,000 seabirds [787 Views]
- 7 stunning forest birds we could soon lose forever [738 Views]
- Another Hen Harrier shot dead sparking fears for rare bird of prey [663 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [658 Views]
- POLL: Should the bear bile trade ban be strictly enforced? [636 Views]
- 13 birds that aren’t for the faint of heart [633 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [544 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41916 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16649 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14027 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13443 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11093 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8457 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8416 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8287 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8019 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7319 Views]