A quick game of “sit and wait!”
At this location near Sattal, (a 5 hour train ride north of Delhi, and a 1 hour drive), we found a small creek, with the help of our expert guides. Most of this creek was wide open, running into a small pond, but the interesting thing about this specific location is that the creek ran right up to a dense bush, adjacent to a thick forest.
The birds of this area would use the bush as a security location, and sneak quietly out to the creek for water and bathing. With some carefully prepared perches, and a bunch of photographers who were willing to sit still and wait, we were able to gather some superb shooting until the sun went down in the late afternoon.
Tough to get a good angle, as these birds liked the lower perch locations, but always fun with a challenge. Long days trekking around the southern Himalayas, lots of great exercise, and great company. We always looked forward to returning to our home base, for an excellent meal.
The owl was a surprise! We were already heading down the trail, when our guide called to my partner, Caesar Sengupta, and told him this wee owl had just flown into a perch within 30 yards of our vehicles. Such awesome luck. Slightly larger then a Saw-whet owl, this bird has feathers on the back of its head that look like eyes.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [710 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [431 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [423 Views]
- Poll: Should wolves be slaughtered to save caribou? » [407 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [382 Views]
- Video: Mountain Lions Caught on Camera in San Francisco Bay Area » [373 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [373 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [371 Views]
- Video: Gamekeeper jailed in Scotland for killing bird of prey » [355 Views]
- Video: What’s the Difference Between Rabbits and Hares? » [355 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10695 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7992 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4723 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4505 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4038 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3403 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3083 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2935 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2912 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2800 Views]