A quick game of “sit and wait!”
At this location near Sattal, (a 5 hour train ride north of Delhi, and a 1 hour drive), we found a small creek, with the help of our expert guides. Most of this creek was wide open, running into a small pond, but the interesting thing about this specific location is that the creek ran right up to a dense bush, adjacent to a thick forest.
The birds of this area would use the bush as a security location, and sneak quietly out to the creek for water and bathing. With some carefully prepared perches, and a bunch of photographers who were willing to sit still and wait, we were able to gather some superb shooting until the sun went down in the late afternoon.
Tough to get a good angle, as these birds liked the lower perch locations, but always fun with a challenge. Long days trekking around the southern Himalayas, lots of great exercise, and great company. We always looked forward to returning to our home base, for an excellent meal.
The owl was a surprise! We were already heading down the trail, when our guide called to my partner, Caesar Sengupta, and told him this wee owl had just flown into a perch within 30 yards of our vehicles. Such awesome luck. Slightly larger then a Saw-whet owl, this bird has feathers on the back of its head that look like eyes.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2431 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [661 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [532 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [504 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [495 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [449 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [417 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [383 Views]
- Listen to New Bird Species Discovered in Brazil: Cryptic Treehunter » [366 Views]
- New Pictures of Hollywood Cougar Show Sleeker, Healthier Cat » [364 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7969 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7406 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5657 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4894 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4708 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4013 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3188 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3150 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2926 Views]