A quick game of “sit and wait!”
At this location near Sattal, (a 5 hour train ride north of Delhi, and a 1 hour drive), we found a small creek, with the help of our expert guides. Most of this creek was wide open, running into a small pond, but the interesting thing about this specific location is that the creek ran right up to a dense bush, adjacent to a thick forest.
The birds of this area would use the bush as a security location, and sneak quietly out to the creek for water and bathing. With some carefully prepared perches, and a bunch of photographers who were willing to sit still and wait, we were able to gather some superb shooting until the sun went down in the late afternoon.
Tough to get a good angle, as these birds liked the lower perch locations, but always fun with a challenge. Long days trekking around the southern Himalayas, lots of great exercise, and great company. We always looked forward to returning to our home base, for an excellent meal.
The owl was a surprise! We were already heading down the trail, when our guide called to my partner, Caesar Sengupta, and told him this wee owl had just flown into a perch within 30 yards of our vehicles. Such awesome luck. Slightly larger then a Saw-whet owl, this bird has feathers on the back of its head that look like eyes.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [3987 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2478 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [940 Views]
- POLL: Should Grey Squirrels be Culled in the UK? » [487 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [428 Views]
- Viral Shark Video Gives Rare Look at a Feeding Frenzy » [416 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [343 Views]
- Ornithologists Map Family Tree of Mysterious Cotinga Birds » [336 Views]
- Viral Photo of Great White Shark Stirs Debate Over Cages, Baiting » [335 Views]
- U.S. Indictment Accuses South African Brothers of Trafficking Rhino Horns » [334 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10966 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7945 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7352 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5648 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4809 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4684 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3990 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [3468 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [3218 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3157 Views]