A quick game of “sit and wait!”
At this location near Sattal, (a 5 hour train ride north of Delhi, and a 1 hour drive), we found a small creek, with the help of our expert guides. Most of this creek was wide open, running into a small pond, but the interesting thing about this specific location is that the creek ran right up to a dense bush, adjacent to a thick forest.
The birds of this area would use the bush as a security location, and sneak quietly out to the creek for water and bathing. With some carefully prepared perches, and a bunch of photographers who were willing to sit still and wait, we were able to gather some superb shooting until the sun went down in the late afternoon.
Tough to get a good angle, as these birds liked the lower perch locations, but always fun with a challenge. Long days trekking around the southern Himalayas, lots of great exercise, and great company. We always looked forward to returning to our home base, for an excellent meal.
The owl was a surprise! We were already heading down the trail, when our guide called to my partner, Caesar Sengupta, and told him this wee owl had just flown into a perch within 30 yards of our vehicles. Such awesome luck. Slightly larger then a Saw-whet owl, this bird has feathers on the back of its head that look like eyes.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » Focusing on Wildlife [2554 Views]
- PETITION: Stop the massive slaughter of migratory birds in Egypt! » Focusing on Wildlife [1818 Views]
- POLL: Should canned hunting in Arizona be banned? » Focusing on Wildlife [1707 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » Focusing on Wildlife [1253 Views]
- If You Care About Birds, Watch This 4-Minute Video » Focusing on Wildlife [1168 Views]
- ‘Lost’ bird rediscovered in New Caledonia along with 16 potentially new species » Focusing on Wildlife [1161 Views]
- » Focusing on Wildlife [1105 Views]
- » Focusing on Wildlife [1096 Views]
- » Focusing on Wildlife [952 Views]
- POLL: Should the kill quota on cougars be increased in New Mexico? » Focusing on Wildlife [888 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » Focusing on Wildlife [32406 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » Focusing on Wildlife [25884 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » Focusing on Wildlife [11370 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » Focusing on Wildlife [9681 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » Focusing on Wildlife [6672 Views]
- POLL: Should the trial cull of badgers go ahead? » Focusing on Wildlife [4362 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » Focusing on Wildlife [4314 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » Focusing on Wildlife [4242 Views]
- Cyclist Has Amazing Encounter with a Mountain Lion in Los Angeles » Focusing on Wildlife [3842 Views]
- Egypt is the Worst Place to Be a Migratory Bird – Shocking Video » Focusing on Wildlife [3574 Views]