A quick game of “sit and wait!”
At this location near Sattal, (a 5 hour train ride north of Delhi, and a 1 hour drive), we found a small creek, with the help of our expert guides. Most of this creek was wide open, running into a small pond, but the interesting thing about this specific location is that the creek ran right up to a dense bush, adjacent to a thick forest.
The birds of this area would use the bush as a security location, and sneak quietly out to the creek for water and bathing. With some carefully prepared perches, and a bunch of photographers who were willing to sit still and wait, we were able to gather some superb shooting until the sun went down in the late afternoon.
Tough to get a good angle, as these birds liked the lower perch locations, but always fun with a challenge. Long days trekking around the southern Himalayas, lots of great exercise, and great company. We always looked forward to returning to our home base, for an excellent meal.
The owl was a surprise! We were already heading down the trail, when our guide called to my partner, Caesar Sengupta, and told him this wee owl had just flown into a perch within 30 yards of our vehicles. Such awesome luck. Slightly larger then a Saw-whet owl, this bird has feathers on the back of its head that look like eyes.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3600 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1172 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? [1160 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1115 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1072 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [970 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [945 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [760 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [746 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect red squirrels? [738 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42025 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16753 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13871 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13808 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11112 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [10815 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8596 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8037 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7392 Views]