Black Backed Gull.
Apart from heavy forest I doubt there are many places in New Zealand without a Black Backed Gull somewhere nearby.
I grew up on a sheep farm, and without doubt these adaptable gulls were our biggest single pest. Preying on any cast sheep and on just born lambs. In both cases targeting eyes and tongues. From a flock of around 1500 ewes I suppose we would lose 15/20 ewes and lambs yearly. They scavenge any human waste tips and in fact are probably our most adaptable bird.
They are a bird with quite varied social habits. On the one hand we will find breeding groups noisily occupying a rocky headland or socially congregating perhaps on a sandy beach. But equally we will find a pair “owning” a half mile to a mile of mile of rocky coastal shore, often in the most exposed iron bound coast.
Juveniles look somewhat similar to Southern Skua, but lack the skuas distinctive white band in the flight feathers, and also the deeper chest.
For me they are a had bird to relate to, bearing in mind the issues we had with our sheep. But never the less these handsome gulls are great subjects for a camera.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Peter Tait is a professional nature guide based at Stewart Island, New Zealand, and he works primarily on Ulva Island Open Sanctuary. Peter has been resident on the Island for over 40 years and was one time Forest Ranger in Charge of Stewart Island. Fishing followed forestry and was in turn followed by Talisker, a 17m charter yacht. He is qualified Skipper Deep Sea Fishing Vessel. In addition to guiding Peter and his wife Iris are hosts at Sails Ashore Lodge.
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8087 Views]
- » Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6113 Views]
- » Wild Tigers of India – in Battle! [3904 Views]
- » POLL: Is it time to close our zoos? [3268 Views]
- » POLL: Should orcas and dolphins be kept in captivity? [1971 Views]
- Animals Rule Chernobyl 30 Years After Nuclear Disaster – [1269 Views]
- Master of the Sky: Owl versus Wolf – [1211 Views]
- More Bald Eagles Have Died Mysteriously – [1096 Views]
- POLL: Should the lynx be rewilded in the UK? – [1055 Views]
- POLL: Should ‘canned’ lion hunting be banned? – [1054 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15267 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [14291 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? » [9906 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [8091 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [7793 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? » [6724 Views]
- » Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6135 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [5893 Views]
- » POLL: Should ‘canned’ lion hunting be banned? [5677 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? | [5394 Views]