It had been six years since I had last visited RSPB Bempton Cliffs on the East Coast of Yorkshire. I therefore decided a visit was long overdue. Mike and I arrived around midday after a three hour drive from Preston. It was to be a fine sunny day ideal for photographing the thousands of seabirds that make these chalk cliffs home during the breeding season. We spent around five hours visiting the various viewing points and experiencing the sights sounds and smells of this wonderful seabird city four hundred feet above the North Sea.
I was trying out a new Nikon D500 body coupled with my Nikon 200-500 telephoto lens and was confident of capturing as much of the action as I could. The gannets were the main quarry as they patrolled the cliffs on their way back to their nest sites on the ledges and I was reasonably pleased with the flight shots the best of which can be seen below. Puffins were showing extremely well as they enjoyed the warm sunshine posing on the rock ledges close to their nests which were out of sight concealed in holes in the cliff face.
Kittiwakes could be seen everywhere sitting on their nests and protecting their young from any marauding herring gulls. Razorbills and guillemots were also to be seen everywhere and provided some nice images. Fulmars were also in evidence as they glided by in their distinctive stiff winged manner and were not easy to capture in flight.
I visited Bempton again this week and had another super day out with excellent weather and many more images to go through. I will post more from Bempton soon. In the meantime hope you enjoy my selection from my first visit to this wonderful “Seabird City” that is Bempton Cliffs. Thanks for looking in and enjoy the current warm and sunny weather.
I am based in Preston. Lancashire. This central location enables me to travel easily to a wide variety of habitats in the North of England. I tend these days not to travel very far as I find that there is plenty to see not very far from home. On my own doorstep are a wonderful variety of habitats - natural woodlands, open fells and hill country, unspoilt river valleys and I have easy access to the delights of the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks. As you will see from my bird images much time is spent at the wonderful coastal sites forming part of Morecambe Bay and the Ribble Estuary e.g. Marshside and Leighton Moss. In recent years Digital Photography has taken over from Video and as time has moved on I have acquired more and more equipment - as you do!! I use Nikon Camera Equipment and currently use a Nikon D200 for general work and a D300 specifically for bird photography. The D300m is usually coupled to a 500mm F4 lens which has dramatically changed the quality of images that I am now able to obtain. I am enjoying being able to post images on Flickr and share the rewards of our wonderful interests with the rest of the world!!!
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the MOTV trophy hunting channel be closed down? [1721 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of lions be banned? [1589 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a tough crack down on the killing of raptors? [1246 Views]
- POLL: Should captivity for all killer whales be banned? [1213 Views]
- POLL: Should the keeping of dolphins in captivity be banned? [1196 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting be banned? [1159 Views]
- POLL: Should elephants be kept in captivity? [1083 Views]
- POLL: Should the pangolin slaughter in Africa be banned? [883 Views]
- Karma? Another Trophy Hunter Has Been Killed by an Elephant [731 Views]
- POLL: Should the culling of Scotland’s mountain hares be banned? [719 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16951 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9264 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3796 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [3084 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2871 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [2781 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2665 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2574 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2321 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2239 Views]