Kyushu island of Japan marks the regular northernmost limit for the wide-ranging Brown Booby in the western Pacific, however their numbers vary from month to month and in the right circumstances can even be encountered off the main Honshu island.
In the Ariake Sea they can often be found on the ferry route between Shimabara and Kumamoto, where they roost on navigational aids. But they are much more numerous and reliable on the confluence of the Ariake Sea and Japan Sea, where the churning waters are teeming with all sorts of suitable fish that are forced close to the surface by the currents.
Although a common bird with a large area of distribution, the Brown Booby is always fascinating to observe as it dives from great heights, hits the water surface with tremendous force and then struggles to become airborne again.
They are a comical mass of untidy feathers when attempting any aerial manoeuvre, but are quite graceful when in horizontal flight or when soaring.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
John Wright is an Australian wildlife photographer and bird guide based in Kyushu, Japan. John became seriously engaged in nature photography while living in Japan and then Thailand. He returned to Japan in 2008 and has since concentrated on wildlife photography, especially birds. John visits Southeast Asia and Australia regularly, but usually travels within the Japanese archipelago, where he also guides visiting birders and wildlife photography enthusiasts.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3674 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1209 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1204 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1093 Views]
- POLL: Is big game hunting important for African economies? [1062 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [973 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [966 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [786 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [776 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect red squirrels? [757 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42031 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16755 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13871 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13820 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11114 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [11079 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8602 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8039 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7392 Views]