Kyushu island of Japan marks the regular northernmost limit for the wide-ranging Brown Booby in the western Pacific, however their numbers vary from month to month and in the right circumstances can even be encountered off the main Honshu island.
In the Ariake Sea they can often be found on the ferry route between Shimabara and Kumamoto, where they roost on navigational aids. But they are much more numerous and reliable on the confluence of the Ariake Sea and Japan Sea, where the churning waters are teeming with all sorts of suitable fish that are forced close to the surface by the currents.
Although a common bird with a large area of distribution, the Brown Booby is always fascinating to observe as it dives from great heights, hits the water surface with tremendous force and then struggles to become airborne again.
They are a comical mass of untidy feathers when attempting any aerial manoeuvre, but are quite graceful when in horizontal flight or when soaring.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
John Wright is an Australian wildlife photographer and bird guide based in Kyushu, Japan. John became seriously engaged in nature photography while living in Japan and then Thailand. He returned to Japan in 2008 and has since concentrated on wildlife photography, especially birds. John visits Southeast Asia and Australia regularly, but usually travels within the Japanese archipelago, where he also guides visiting birders and wildlife photography enthusiasts.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2340 Views]
- POLL: Should South Africa’s canned hunting industry be banned? [1897 Views]
- POLL: Should Mozambique’s wildlife park be funded by trophy hunting? [1394 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of elephants for “entertainment” be banned? [1289 Views]
- POLL: Should Asia’s elephant tourism be banned? [1059 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of wild animals in circuses be banned? [959 Views]
- Bald Eagle Adopts Baby Hawk Instead of Eating Him [911 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife-killing “cyanide bombs” be banned? [897 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone Grizzlies be removed from the Endangered List? [863 Views]
- POLL: Should the owning of exotic pets be banned? [745 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16900 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11093 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [10063 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8692 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8232 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4714 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [4081 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3775 Views]
- POLL: Should the coyote continue to be exterminated? [3450 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2808 Views]