Kyushu island of Japan marks the regular northernmost limit for the wide-ranging Brown Booby in the western Pacific, however their numbers vary from month to month and in the right circumstances can even be encountered off the main Honshu island.
In the Ariake Sea they can often be found on the ferry route between Shimabara and Kumamoto, where they roost on navigational aids. But they are much more numerous and reliable on the confluence of the Ariake Sea and Japan Sea, where the churning waters are teeming with all sorts of suitable fish that are forced close to the surface by the currents.
Although a common bird with a large area of distribution, the Brown Booby is always fascinating to observe as it dives from great heights, hits the water surface with tremendous force and then struggles to become airborne again.
They are a comical mass of untidy feathers when attempting any aerial manoeuvre, but are quite graceful when in horizontal flight or when soaring.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
John Wright is an Australian wildlife photographer and bird guide based in Kyushu, Japan. John became seriously engaged in nature photography while living in Japan and then Thailand. He returned to Japan in 2008 and has since concentrated on wildlife photography, especially birds. John visits Southeast Asia and Australia regularly, but usually travels within the Japanese archipelago, where he also guides visiting birders and wildlife photography enthusiasts.
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8077 Views]
- » Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6113 Views]
- » Wild Tigers of India – in Battle! [4077 Views]
- » POLL: Is it time to close our zoos? [3270 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? | [2394 Views]
- » POLL: Should orcas and dolphins be kept in captivity? [1971 Views]
- Animals Rule Chernobyl 30 Years After Nuclear Disaster – [1283 Views]
- Master of the Sky: Owl versus Wolf – [1227 Views]
- More Bald Eagles Have Died Mysteriously – [1096 Views]
- POLL: Should the lynx be rewilded in the UK? – [1063 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15267 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [14291 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? » [9906 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [8088 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [7784 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? » [6724 Views]
- » Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6140 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [5887 Views]
- » POLL: Should ‘canned’ lion hunting be banned? [5683 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? | [5400 Views]