Kyushu island of Japan marks the regular northernmost limit for the wide-ranging Brown Booby in the western Pacific, however their numbers vary from month to month and in the right circumstances can even be encountered off the main Honshu island.
In the Ariake Sea they can often be found on the ferry route between Shimabara and Kumamoto, where they roost on navigational aids. But they are much more numerous and reliable on the confluence of the Ariake Sea and Japan Sea, where the churning waters are teeming with all sorts of suitable fish that are forced close to the surface by the currents.
Although a common bird with a large area of distribution, the Brown Booby is always fascinating to observe as it dives from great heights, hits the water surface with tremendous force and then struggles to become airborne again.
They are a comical mass of untidy feathers when attempting any aerial manoeuvre, but are quite graceful when in horizontal flight or when soaring.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
John Wright is an Australian wildlife photographer and bird guide based in Kyushu, Japan. John became seriously engaged in nature photography while living in Japan and then Thailand. He returned to Japan in 2008 and has since concentrated on wildlife photography, especially birds. John visits Southeast Asia and Australia regularly, but usually travels within the Japanese archipelago, where he also guides visiting birders and wildlife photography enthusiasts.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2436 Views]
- Trophy Hunter Gets Eaten by Crocodiles [1894 Views]
- Scientists Discover Rare and Endangered Cat in Borneo [974 Views]
- POLL: Should the inter-breeding of lions and tigers be banned? [884 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [839 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for exceeding its bluefin tuna quota? [838 Views]
- POLL: Should the illegal wildlife trade in slow lorises be stopped? [838 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [793 Views]
- 10 of the Most Endangered Species on Earth [731 Views]
- POLL: Should the giraffe be listed as an endangered species? [727 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42085 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16868 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12273 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12117 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11135 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8655 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8291 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8074 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7437 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5383 Views]