Kyushu island of Japan marks the regular northernmost limit for the wide-ranging Brown Booby in the western Pacific, however their numbers vary from month to month and in the right circumstances can even be encountered off the main Honshu island.
In the Ariake Sea they can often be found on the ferry route between Shimabara and Kumamoto, where they roost on navigational aids. But they are much more numerous and reliable on the confluence of the Ariake Sea and Japan Sea, where the churning waters are teeming with all sorts of suitable fish that are forced close to the surface by the currents.
Although a common bird with a large area of distribution, the Brown Booby is always fascinating to observe as it dives from great heights, hits the water surface with tremendous force and then struggles to become airborne again.
They are a comical mass of untidy feathers when attempting any aerial manoeuvre, but are quite graceful when in horizontal flight or when soaring.
John Wright is an Australian wildlife photographer and bird guide based in Kyushu, Japan. John became seriously engaged in nature photography while living in Japan and then Thailand. He returned to Japan in 2008 and has since concentrated on wildlife photography, especially birds. John visits Southeast Asia and Australia regularly, but usually travels within the Japanese archipelago, where he also guides visiting birders and wildlife photography enthusiasts.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the tradition of throwing wild turkeys from a plane be allowed? – [1927 Views]
- POLL: Should the Rare Spirit Bear Be Protected From Hunters? – [1652 Views]
- POLL: Should Arizona’s wild cats be protected from trophy hunters? – [1315 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of bears as living tourist attractions be banned? – [1203 Views]
- POLL: Should Dolphinariums As Tourist Attractions Be Closed Down? – [1065 Views]
- POLL: Should animal traps in our National Wildlife Refuges be banned? – [1063 Views]
- POLL: Should Orcas and Dolphins be freed from all Seaquariums? – [1033 Views]
- POLL: Should the Alaska Refuge be opened up for drilling? – [992 Views]
- POLL: Should the testing of cosmetics on animals be banned? – [895 Views]
- Penguin disaster as only two chicks survive from colony of 40,000 – [807 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7645 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [6610 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3786 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3605 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3055 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]