Saturday saw me going solo down at Elmley while the Jims enjoyed Vange Marshes Stilts.
I had good but brief views of a day flying Barn Owl, a Peregrine hunting the marshes with several Buzzards and Marsh Harriers.
Hares were putting on a show and the mating rituals of Lapwing and Redshank were in full flow.
On the drive home I picked up a year tick with three Swallows in Barking. Sunday morning saw an early meet up with the Jims and a short drive up the A11 to Tuddenham.
On the heath we enjoyed good scope views of a pair of Stone Curlew before picking out a couple of Wood Larks to give the boys a year tick. A surprise came when we first heard then enjoyed good views of an early Cuckoo and then on the drive out picked up decent views of a pair of Grey Partridge.
Another year tick came in the form of a couple of Willow Warblers singing their hearts out.
Whilst in the Brecks we made a short detour to Santon Downham where after a long walk down river we eventually heard a Lesser Spot call to add to the drumming heard on a previous visit and giving a “heard only” year tick.
The trees along the route held good numbers of Brambling, Redpoll and Siskin but a fly over Goshawk took top spot. Again Wood Larks displayed in the clearings and seem to be thriving in the Brecks.
Year list now 190
Essex Birder using the blog as a diary of my trips around the country chasing birds. Enjoying the places it takes me and the people I meet along the way. Great to spend time with my Dad and brother as we chase our year lists and grow our life list in the process.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [1177 Views]
- POLL: Should Dolphinariums As Tourist Attractions Be Closed Down? – [1111 Views]
- POLL: Should big-game and canned, trophy hunting be banned? – [1015 Views]
- POLL: Should babies be allowed to buy hunting licenses? – [941 Views]
- POLL: Should wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [889 Views]
- POLL: Should Wildlife Services stop its secret wildlife-killing program? – [823 Views]
- POLL: Should South Africa strictly enforce its anti-poaching legislation? – [811 Views]
- Florida Opened a Fake Alligator Farm to Catch Poachers – [806 Views]
- POLL: Should African Grey Parrots be protected from illegal trafficking? – [786 Views]
- POLL: Should gillnets be banned in the Upper Gulf to save the Vaquita? – [778 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7663 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [5926 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3810 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3648 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3065 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]