The court ruled that the charges against Theo Bronkhorst “were too vague to enable him to mount a proper defence,” BBC News reported. He had been charged with failing to stop an illegal hunt.
Palmer reportedly paid $54,000 to bow-hunt Cecil, a beloved, black-maned lion living in Zimbabwe’s Hwange National Park. On July 1, 2015, Palmer shot Cecil with a bow on a farm outside the park, where the lion occasionally went to explore. Palmer’s team, which included Bronkhorst, tracked Cecil for another 11 hours before killing him.
Bronkhorst’s role as a professional hunter, often referred to as a “PH,” included arranging the trip, getting permits and licenses, seeing to the needs of the client, and conducting the hunt. It is the professional hunter’s job to make sure the hunt is conducted legally.
Park officials initially said that Bronkhorst and Honest Ndlovu, the owner of the farm where Cecil was shot, did not have a permit or quota to kill the lion. Ndlovu also faced charges of allowing an illegal hunt to occur on his property. He posted bail last August, but the status of his case remains unclear.
Palmer never ended up facing any charges. After Cecil was killed, Zimbabwe initially pressed to extradite him, calling him a “foreign poacher.” But within three months of the hunt, the government declined to file a formal extradition petition and said the documentation for the hunt was proper.
The killing of Cecil sparked outrage around the world and ignited a debate about trophy hunting. He was just one of hundreds of lions shot by trophy hunters in Zimbabwe over recent years, but his story connected with animal lovers around the world in a new way. Since his death, many airlines banned the transport of lion trophies and several countries restricted imports of lion trophies.
This article was first published by National Geographic on 11 Nov 2016.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1635 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1591 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1467 Views]
- POLL: Is big game hunting important for African economies? [1458 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1148 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1083 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [998 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [817 Views]
- POLL: Could U.S. endangered species rules go extinct under Trump? [723 Views]
- POLL: Should the Woolly Mammoth be resurrected through genetic engineering? [723 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42051 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16794 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13848 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [11896 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8611 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8136 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8048 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7414 Views]