Matt MacGillivray/CC BY 2.0.The resplendent quetzal faces increased competition from other birds and drier habitat due to global warming.
You might think birds, of allanimals, could just pick up and move if their environment changes in a way not to their liking, but global warming poses a very real threat to the avian world: Scientists say climate change is likely to drive up to 900 bird species intoextinctionby the end of the century unless additional conservation measures are taken.
Tropical bird species are particularly vulnerable because they are adapted to living in a stable climate, where temperatures do not vary wildly throughout the year, according toÇağan Şekercioğluof the University of Utah, the lead author of “The effects of climate change on tropical birds,” a scientific review of some 200 separate studies published recently in the journalBiological Conservation.
100-500 More Extinctions For Each Degree Of Warming
Surface warming of 3.5 degrees Celsius — the middle range of theIntergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s latest estimate — by the year 2100 “may result in 600-900extinctionsof land bird species, 89 percent of which occur in the tropics,” Şekercioğlu and his co-authors Richard Primack and Janice Wormworth write. “Depending on the amount of futurehabitat loss, each degree of surface warming could lead to approximately 100-500 additionalbird extinctions.”
caspar s/CC BY 2.0.A red-capped manakin. Some manakin species in Brazil could lose up to 80 percent of their habitat.
The new article, which updates previousresearchfrom 2007, looks at different categories of birds (such as “aquatic birds in the tropics,” “arid zone species,” and “birds in human-dominated landscapes”) to assess which will be the most affected byclimate change. It also examines how global warming compounds other threats, including habitat loss, hunting,invasive species, pollution, and disease.
Habitat Loss Dramatically Compounds The Problem
“[I]n some cases habitat loss [from agriculture and development] can increase bird extinctions caused by climate change by nearly 50 percent,” Şekercioğlu says, calling for further research to be conducted, degraded habitat to be restored, and more land to be protected.
It’s not just birds that are at stake. “Farmers, hunter-gatherers, nomadic herders, and others, especially in less developed countries, depend on a healthy environment, and birds are important for ecosystem services like seed dispersal and insect control,”The New York Timespoints out in an article about the study.
And as Şekercioğlu told the paper: “If this is happening to birds, and they can migrate, then for other organisms, it’s going to be worse.”
Published in www.treehugger.com
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2538 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [523 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [505 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [500 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [451 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [419 Views]
- Video: Incredible footage shows leopard attacking two male antelope while they fight » [410 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [386 Views]
- New Pictures of Hollywood Cougar Show Sleeker, Healthier Cat » [371 Views]
- Listen to New Bird Species Discovered in Brazil: Cryptic Treehunter » [369 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7969 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7406 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5657 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4899 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4709 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4015 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3188 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3166 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2926 Views]