As we drove through the Amboseli National Park for another morning game drive, we spotted an African Elephant at a fair distance. Our guide pointed out that it was a Tusker and we drove towards it to get a closer look.
As we got closer, we realised that this was a huge male Elephant (below). We got as close as we could possibly get and captured this full frame image of the Elephant walking alongside our vehicle.
We kept taking pictures of the gentle giant as he kept walking alongside our vehicle. But he soon realised that we were not going to go away and he changed course and headed towards the palms. He then reached out and plucked the fresh leaves from the palm trees that were around.
We waited patiently to see his next move and after plucking a couple of those tender leaves, he headed back towards the road. Seeing the possibility of getting a pictures of the Tusker crossing the road, we drove ahead and waited at a clearing that seemed to the probable crossing point. As anticipated he came to the exact clearing in the bushes.
But instead of walking straight onto the road and crossing to the other side, he decided to once again feed on the fresh shoots of the palm trees. We decided it was time to thank our lucky stars for this closest ever yet safe sighting of an African Elephant and move on in search of other game.
Wildlife in India, experience in pictures - Walk the Wilderness - A blog on wildlife in India where we share our experiences in the various national parks through wildlife photos
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7201 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3186 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [2939 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting in Kyrgystan be banned? – [1710 Views]
- POLL: Should SeaWorld be closed down? – [1520 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? – [1112 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone’s Iconic Grizzly Bears be Stripped of Federal Protection? – [1013 Views]
- POLL: Should roadside zoos be closed down? – [976 Views]
- Karma? Another Trophy Hunter Has Been Killed by an Elephant [859 Views]
- POLL: Should we prevent our cats from killing birds? – [811 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8014 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2068 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [2028 Views]