Whilst birding the Sarrar area at then end of February I found a singing Corn Bunting. I could hear the bird singing but could not locate it, but after some time and moving around to try to pinpoint it I saw it at the edge of a large pivot irrigation field sitting on the ground.
The Corn Bunting is an uncommon and irregular winter visitor to the Eastern Province and a bird I see infrequently. Although I have seen birds in Dhahran I mostly see them in the large pivot fields to the north around Qaryat Al Ulya Qaryat.
This bird was well south if these fields showing that they can be found around any pivot field in the winter if conditions are right. The bird was very happy singing and allowed close approach and was even in the same place thirty minutes later when I went past the area again.
Jem Babbington is a keen birder and amateur photographer located in Dhahran, Eastern Saudi Arabia where he goes birding every day. Jem was born in England and is a serious local patch and local area birder who has been birding for almost forty years and has birded in more than fifty countries. Jem is learning to ring birds in Bahrain as a perfect way to learn more about the birds of the area. Saudi Arabia is a very much under-watched and under-recorded country.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the MOTV trophy hunting channel be closed down? [1692 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of lions be banned? [1470 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a tough crack down on the killing of raptors? [1232 Views]
- POLL: Should captivity for all killer whales be banned? [1204 Views]
- POLL: Should the keeping of dolphins in captivity be banned? [1179 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting be banned? [1149 Views]
- POLL: Should the pangolin slaughter in Africa be banned? [883 Views]
- POLL: Should elephants be kept in captivity? [777 Views]
- POLL: Should the culling of Scotland’s mountain hares be banned? [715 Views]
- POLL: Should Praying Mantises be used for pest control? [686 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16946 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9327 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [6734 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [4084 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3792 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2861 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2638 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2570 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2315 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan’s “research whaling” program be closed down? [2150 Views]