As we checked into the Lodge, we were asked if we wanted to do a “frog tour” that evening. Not having a clue what to expect, I said: “sure, why not”.
Being the only participants, this turned into an hour and a half of me photographing nine different species of frogs. Luckily, we had headlamps with us that provided the minimum amount of light I needed to focus my camera.
Despite being ill-prepared and deleting many blurred images, I managed to get images of nine species of frogs. Wow, that was very cool!
The Waterfall Gardens has an area with many hummingbird feeders and a variety of hummingbirds seem to feed there constantly. I didn’t have the benefit of a multiple high-speed flash setup for flight shots, but I did okay. Six different species at one location seemed pretty good, even if they were perched. Late in the afternoon the staff covers the hanging feeders and passes out feeders to be hand-held by any child, or adult wanting to be a kid again.
At the Gardens there is a butterfly pavilion. That was another challenge for me, not having any experience photographing butterflies. With a little trial and error, I managed to capture images of seven species that I was pleased with.
There is also an aviary on the property. Although I prefer to photograph uncontrolled subjects, that didn’t stop me from taking advantage of the many birds on display. Photographing from certain angles, the enclosures were not visible. The toucans provided the best photo opportunities and the best laugh of the trip. “Bob”, a Chestnut-mandibled Toucan, was sitting on Joan’s shoulder being hand-fed watermelon when he decided Joan’s earring also looked appetizing. Yep, there went the earring – hope it came out without a problem.
Big cats, native to Costa Rica, are also on display. Given the thick glass, heavy bars, wire mess and terrible light, getting half-way decent photographs was close to impossible. That said, I just acted like a typical tourist and did the best I could.
So what about the waterfalls? Yes, the La Paz Waterfalls Garden has natural waterfalls which are accessible on a network of hiking trails. The terrain was steep and fortunately there was a shuttle bus at the bottom to get us back up to the lodge.
For over 100 more photos from this trip go to http://dongettywildlifephotography.com/p445168888
Stay turned for parts 2 and 3 for reports on our next two stops in Costa Rica.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Don Getty has been an avid wildlife photographer for over 20 years. He resides in Wyoming, just 30 miles from Yellowstone Park. He photographs birds, mammals, reptiles and just about any living creature he can get in front of his lens. Wildlife photography has taken him throughout the Rocky Mountain region of the US and Canada, East Africa, South Africa, Costa Rica, Florida and Churchill Manitoba. He has received numerous awards and his images have appeared in many magazines, books and calendars.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1635 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1601 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1498 Views]
- POLL: Is big game hunting important for African economies? [1458 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1148 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1109 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1058 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [817 Views]
- POLL: Could U.S. endangered species rules go extinct under Trump? [723 Views]
- POLL: Should the Woolly Mammoth be resurrected through genetic engineering? [723 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42053 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16794 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13849 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8611 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8136 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8048 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7414 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6115 Views]