The feeder where I photographed the most, just happened to be next to the bar. Yes, before dinner, a cold Costa Rican beer goes just fine with bird photography. Over three days, some species were common at the feeders, but each day a species that I hadn’t seen before would also appear.
When hiking the trails on the property I photographed Green and Black Poison Dart Frogs, and Strawberry Poison Dart Frogs, Greater Sack-winged Bats and a Double-Crested Basilisk (aka Jesus Christ Lizard – they “walk on water”).
One morning we took a boat tour on the Sarapiqui River. From the boat I photographed a Spectacled Caiman, Mantled Howler Monkeys, Brazilian Long-nosed Bats, a Green Iguana and a variety of birds including herons and kingfishers.
The Selva Verde Lodge is also a good base for visiting the La Selva Biological Station, a 3,700 acre biological research station which is open to the public. Over 400 species of birds have been documented on the property. With a reservation, we had a privately guided nature walk and saw many birds, but missed at least 400 species.
A highlight at La Selva was seeing a tiny (less than 1 inch in length or 17 to 24 mm) Strawberry Poison-dart Frog transporting one of its tadpoles, on her back, to a pool of water in the axils of bromeliad leaves. This frog was a “Blue Jeans” morph, which has dark blue lower parts. Biologists reading this report will have a greater appreciation of this sighting.
To go back to part 1 of this trip report go to http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/?p=12891
Stay turned for part 3 for a report on our final stop in Costa Rica.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [2858 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [1942 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [1830 Views]
- POLL: Should Grey Squirrels be Culled in the UK? » [1347 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [922 Views]
- Watch: How Did a Young Elephant Drive Off 14 Lions? » [703 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts » [549 Views]
- POLL: Should the Canadian Government bring an end to the annual seal slaughter? Shocking Video! » [496 Views]
- Ornithologists Map Family Tree of Mysterious Cotinga Birds » [487 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [484 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7962 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7403 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5656 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4729 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4644 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3990 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3203 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3036 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2907 Views]