The feeder where I photographed the most, just happened to be next to the bar. Yes, before dinner, a cold Costa Rican beer goes just fine with bird photography. Over three days, some species were common at the feeders, but each day a species that I hadn’t seen before would also appear.
When hiking the trails on the property I photographed Green and Black Poison Dart Frogs, and Strawberry Poison Dart Frogs, Greater Sack-winged Bats and a Double-Crested Basilisk (aka Jesus Christ Lizard – they “walk on water”).
One morning we took a boat tour on the Sarapiqui River. From the boat I photographed a Spectacled Caiman, Mantled Howler Monkeys, Brazilian Long-nosed Bats, a Green Iguana and a variety of birds including herons and kingfishers.
The Selva Verde Lodge is also a good base for visiting the La Selva Biological Station, a 3,700 acre biological research station which is open to the public. Over 400 species of birds have been documented on the property. With a reservation, we had a privately guided nature walk and saw many birds, but missed at least 400 species.
A highlight at La Selva was seeing a tiny (less than 1 inch in length or 17 to 24 mm) Strawberry Poison-dart Frog transporting one of its tadpoles, on her back, to a pool of water in the axils of bromeliad leaves. This frog was a “Blue Jeans” morph, which has dark blue lower parts. Biologists reading this report will have a greater appreciation of this sighting.
To go back to part 1 of this trip report go to http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/?p=12891
Stay turned for part 3 for a report on our final stop in Costa Rica.
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » Focusing on Wildlife [2476 Views]
- PETITION: Stop the massive slaughter of migratory birds in Egypt! » Focusing on Wildlife [1816 Views]
- POLL: Should the kill quota on cougars be increased in New Mexico? » Focusing on Wildlife [1752 Views]
- POLL: Should canned hunting in Arizona be banned? » Focusing on Wildlife [1707 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » Focusing on Wildlife [1394 Views]
- If You Care About Birds, Watch This 4-Minute Video » Focusing on Wildlife [1169 Views]
- ‘Lost’ bird rediscovered in New Caledonia along with 16 potentially new species » Focusing on Wildlife [1159 Views]
- Featured video: bears work together to take down camera traps » Focusing on Wildlife [1124 Views]
- » Focusing on Wildlife [1052 Views]
- » Focusing on Wildlife [959 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » Focusing on Wildlife [32406 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » Focusing on Wildlife [25880 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » Focusing on Wildlife [11368 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » Focusing on Wildlife [9680 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » Focusing on Wildlife [6670 Views]
- POLL: Should the trial cull of badgers go ahead? » Focusing on Wildlife [4362 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » Focusing on Wildlife [4313 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » Focusing on Wildlife [4241 Views]
- Cyclist Has Amazing Encounter with a Mountain Lion in Los Angeles » Focusing on Wildlife [3842 Views]
- Egypt is the Worst Place to Be a Migratory Bird – Shocking Video » Focusing on Wildlife [3573 Views]