The feeder where I photographed the most, just happened to be next to the bar. Yes, before dinner, a cold Costa Rican beer goes just fine with bird photography. Over three days, some species were common at the feeders, but each day a species that I hadn’t seen before would also appear.
When hiking the trails on the property I photographed Green and Black Poison Dart Frogs, and Strawberry Poison Dart Frogs, Greater Sack-winged Bats and a Double-Crested Basilisk (aka Jesus Christ Lizard – they “walk on water”).
One morning we took a boat tour on the Sarapiqui River. From the boat I photographed a Spectacled Caiman, Mantled Howler Monkeys, Brazilian Long-nosed Bats, a Green Iguana and a variety of birds including herons and kingfishers.
The Selva Verde Lodge is also a good base for visiting the La Selva Biological Station, a 3,700 acre biological research station which is open to the public. Over 400 species of birds have been documented on the property. With a reservation, we had a privately guided nature walk and saw many birds, but missed at least 400 species.
A highlight at La Selva was seeing a tiny (less than 1 inch in length or 17 to 24 mm) Strawberry Poison-dart Frog transporting one of its tadpoles, on her back, to a pool of water in the axils of bromeliad leaves. This frog was a “Blue Jeans” morph, which has dark blue lower parts. Biologists reading this report will have a greater appreciation of this sighting.
For over 100 more photos from this trip go to http://dongettywildlifephotography.com/p445168888
To go back to part 1 of this trip report go to http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/?p=12891
Stay turned for part 3 for a report on our final stop in Costa Rica.
Don Getty http://www.dongettywildlifephotography.com/
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [1915 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1885 Views]
- POLL: Can lion trophy hunting support conservation? » [1829 Views]
- 25 million songbirds slaughtered each year in the Mediterranean » [1462 Views]
- POLL: When bears kill humans should they be slaughtered? » [1448 Views]
- Night parrot capture and tagging hailed as ‘holy grail’ moment for bird lovers » [1416 Views]
- POLL: Should badger culls be abandoned once and for all? » [1382 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1376 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dallas Safari Club Auction be stopped? » [1361 Views]
- Rare Picture: Blackbird “Rides” Hawk » [1243 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [13854 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11224 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10750 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7952 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [7641 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [4992 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4709 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4203 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on South Africa’s horn trade be lifted? » [3502 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3496 Views]