The feeder where I photographed the most, just happened to be next to the bar. Yes, before dinner, a cold Costa Rican beer goes just fine with bird photography. Over three days, some species were common at the feeders, but each day a species that I hadn’t seen before would also appear.
When hiking the trails on the property I photographed Green and Black Poison Dart Frogs, and Strawberry Poison Dart Frogs, Greater Sack-winged Bats and a Double-Crested Basilisk (aka Jesus Christ Lizard – they “walk on water”).
One morning we took a boat tour on the Sarapiqui River. From the boat I photographed a Spectacled Caiman, Mantled Howler Monkeys, Brazilian Long-nosed Bats, a Green Iguana and a variety of birds including herons and kingfishers.
The Selva Verde Lodge is also a good base for visiting the La Selva Biological Station, a 3,700 acre biological research station which is open to the public. Over 400 species of birds have been documented on the property. With a reservation, we had a privately guided nature walk and saw many birds, but missed at least 400 species.
A highlight at La Selva was seeing a tiny (less than 1 inch in length or 17 to 24 mm) Strawberry Poison-dart Frog transporting one of its tadpoles, on her back, to a pool of water in the axils of bromeliad leaves. This frog was a “Blue Jeans” morph, which has dark blue lower parts. Biologists reading this report will have a greater appreciation of this sighting.
To go back to part 1 of this trip report go to http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/?p=12891
Stay turned for part 3 for a report on our final stop in Costa Rica.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [2282 Views]
- Shooters set their sights on UK’s last remaining ruddy ducks » [583 Views]
- 87 new bird species considered threatened with extinction » [549 Views]
- 13 newly-discovered birds declared extinct » [494 Views]
- Monkeys use field scientists as human shields against predators » [423 Views]
- Over a million pangolins slaughtered in the last decade » [376 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [337 Views]
- Hundreds of thousands of birds accidentally poisoned every year » [331 Views]
- POLL: RSPB picks a fight over grouse shooting » [328 Views]
- POLL: Should Barred Owls be Shot to Save Spotted Owls? » [322 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [28193 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [13839 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12178 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7935 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7908 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7006 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5606 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5156 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4597 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4147 Views]