The feeder where I photographed the most, just happened to be next to the bar. Yes, before dinner, a cold Costa Rican beer goes just fine with bird photography. Over three days, some species were common at the feeders, but each day a species that I hadn’t seen before would also appear.
When hiking the trails on the property I photographed Green and Black Poison Dart Frogs, and Strawberry Poison Dart Frogs, Greater Sack-winged Bats and a Double-Crested Basilisk (aka Jesus Christ Lizard – they “walk on water”).
One morning we took a boat tour on the Sarapiqui River. From the boat I photographed a Spectacled Caiman, Mantled Howler Monkeys, Brazilian Long-nosed Bats, a Green Iguana and a variety of birds including herons and kingfishers.
The Selva Verde Lodge is also a good base for visiting the La Selva Biological Station, a 3,700 acre biological research station which is open to the public. Over 400 species of birds have been documented on the property. With a reservation, we had a privately guided nature walk and saw many birds, but missed at least 400 species.
A highlight at La Selva was seeing a tiny (less than 1 inch in length or 17 to 24 mm) Strawberry Poison-dart Frog transporting one of its tadpoles, on her back, to a pool of water in the axils of bromeliad leaves. This frog was a “Blue Jeans” morph, which has dark blue lower parts. Biologists reading this report will have a greater appreciation of this sighting.
For over 100 more photos from this trip go to http://dongettywildlifephotography.com/p445168888
To go back to part 1 of this trip report go to http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/?p=12891
Stay turned for part 3 for a report on our final stop in Costa Rica.
Don Getty http://www.dongettywildlifephotography.com/
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? » [4160 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? » [4144 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of birds in southern Europe be stopped? » [2473 Views]
- Dive-bombing kingfisher’s underwater hunt caught on camera » [2374 Views]
- POLL: Is Florida’s Bear Hunt Necessary? » [1980 Views]
- POLL: Should the trapping of songbirds in Malta be stopped? » [1892 Views]
- Scientist under attack after he kills bird that took decades to find » [1746 Views]
- Video: Meet the Dog Trained to Take Down Poachers » [1046 Views]
- Poll: Should wolves be slaughtered to save caribou? » [995 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming in Finland be banned? » [890 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [14252 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11306 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? » [9774 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [8454 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [8130 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? » [6708 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [6076 Views]
- POLL: Should whales and dolphins be kept in captivity for our entertainment? » [5276 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4548 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4131 Views]