The feeder where I photographed the most, just happened to be next to the bar. Yes, before dinner, a cold Costa Rican beer goes just fine with bird photography. Over three days, some species were common at the feeders, but each day a species that I hadn’t seen before would also appear.
When hiking the trails on the property I photographed Green and Black Poison Dart Frogs, and Strawberry Poison Dart Frogs, Greater Sack-winged Bats and a Double-Crested Basilisk (aka Jesus Christ Lizard – they “walk on water”).
One morning we took a boat tour on the Sarapiqui River. From the boat I photographed a Spectacled Caiman, Mantled Howler Monkeys, Brazilian Long-nosed Bats, a Green Iguana and a variety of birds including herons and kingfishers.
The Selva Verde Lodge is also a good base for visiting the La Selva Biological Station, a 3,700 acre biological research station which is open to the public. Over 400 species of birds have been documented on the property. With a reservation, we had a privately guided nature walk and saw many birds, but missed at least 400 species.
A highlight at La Selva was seeing a tiny (less than 1 inch in length or 17 to 24 mm) Strawberry Poison-dart Frog transporting one of its tadpoles, on her back, to a pool of water in the axils of bromeliad leaves. This frog was a “Blue Jeans” morph, which has dark blue lower parts. Biologists reading this report will have a greater appreciation of this sighting.
For over 100 more photos from this trip go to http://dongettywildlifephotography.com/p445168888
To go back to part 1 of this trip report go to http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/?p=12891
Stay turned for part 3 for a report on our final stop in Costa Rica.
Don Getty http://www.dongettywildlifephotography.com/
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [697 Views]
- Video: Mountain Lions Caught on Camera in San Francisco Bay Area » [586 Views]
- Video: Drone Captures Amazing Humpback Whale Feeding Event on Camera » [541 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [428 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [423 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [379 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [370 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [368 Views]
- Video: What’s the Difference Between Rabbits and Hares? » [355 Views]
- Video: Gamekeeper jailed in Scotland for killing bird of prey » [347 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10695 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7990 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4734 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4519 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4039 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3400 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3081 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2934 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2907 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2791 Views]