The feeder where I photographed the most, just happened to be next to the bar. Yes, before dinner, a cold Costa Rican beer goes just fine with bird photography. Over three days, some species were common at the feeders, but each day a species that I hadn’t seen before would also appear.
When hiking the trails on the property I photographed Green and Black Poison Dart Frogs, and Strawberry Poison Dart Frogs, Greater Sack-winged Bats and a Double-Crested Basilisk (aka Jesus Christ Lizard – they “walk on water”).
One morning we took a boat tour on the Sarapiqui River. From the boat I photographed a Spectacled Caiman, Mantled Howler Monkeys, Brazilian Long-nosed Bats, a Green Iguana and a variety of birds including herons and kingfishers.
The Selva Verde Lodge is also a good base for visiting the La Selva Biological Station, a 3,700 acre biological research station which is open to the public. Over 400 species of birds have been documented on the property. With a reservation, we had a privately guided nature walk and saw many birds, but missed at least 400 species.
A highlight at La Selva was seeing a tiny (less than 1 inch in length or 17 to 24 mm) Strawberry Poison-dart Frog transporting one of its tadpoles, on her back, to a pool of water in the axils of bromeliad leaves. This frog was a “Blue Jeans” morph, which has dark blue lower parts. Biologists reading this report will have a greater appreciation of this sighting.
For over 100 more photos from this trip go to http://dongettywildlifephotography.com/p445168888
To go back to part 1 of this trip report go to http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/?p=12891
Stay turned for part 3 for a report on our final stop in Costa Rica.
Don Getty http://www.dongettywildlifephotography.com/
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6094 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1352 Views]
- Poll: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [1226 Views]
- Angry hippo flings newborn calf into the air » [1153 Views]
- Recently rediscovered hummingbird faces extinction » [1071 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [834 Views]
- Thought-to-be-extinct ‘halloween’ frog rediscovered in Costa Rica » [710 Views]
- The triumph of the bison: Europe’s biggest animal bounces back a century after vanishing » [678 Views]
- Butterfly wings inspire cosmetics and bomb detectors » [637 Views]
- Police probe ship’s crew after nabbing smuggler with 24 rare birds in plastic bottles » [596 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11806 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10679 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6327 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4007 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3792 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3737 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3585 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [3002 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2962 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2701 Views]