This tutorial will describe how to create a new “species” gallery from a collection of images ready on your computer. The ten steps are illustrated below:
Step 1) Check if Species Gallery Already Exists
Go to the ” Manage Albums” page, click “Show All” and search the list using your browser’s “edit / search” functionality. If the species gallery already exists, note the gallery ID number, ignore Step 2 and go straight to Step 3. If the species gallery does not exist, go to Step 2 and create a new gallery.
Step 2) Create New Gallery
Step 3: Upload Images
Please note that images straight out of your camera with a width or height exceeding 3,000 pixels may cause an error when uploading. The way to solve this is to edit the image in your image processing software and reduce the larger dimension to a maximum of 3,000 pixels.
Step 4: Manage Gallery
Step 5: Open the Gallery to be Managed
Step 6: Add Gallery and Image Descriptions
The gallery description should summarize the species in approx. 50 to 60 words maximum. The Alt & Title text will appear in the gallery underneath each thumbnail, so should be more meaningful than an image number out of your camera. The image description will appear under the images when viewed in the slideshow. Suggestion: species name + where taken + when taken. e.g. Snail Kite Rostrhamus sociabilis taken at Sao Paulo (BR) on 13 Oct 2012.
Step 7: Create Species Page
Step 8: Check that Gallery is Linked to Species Page
Step 9: Edit Species Page
The text from the gallery description can be copy / pasted here but it is useful to add a link to the fact sheet in the Birdlife Data Zone. e.g.
The Sharp-tailed Tyrant is a bird from the Tyrannidae family. It’s currently listed as a vulnerable species in the IUCN red list. It is a very small bird, with about 10 cm.  It is found in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay.
[ nggallery id=346 ]
Step 10: Manage the Album
Galleries can easily be dragged into and sorted in your album. If you click “Show All” all of the galleries will appear in the centre column. Then using your browser’s “edit / find” functionality you can quickly find the gallery you are looking for. Drag it into your album, position where you want it by dragging up or down. Finally click “Update” to save your album.
Share on social media:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2436 Views]
- Trophy Hunter Gets Eaten by Crocodiles [1894 Views]
- Scientists Discover Rare and Endangered Cat in Borneo [974 Views]
- POLL: Should the inter-breeding of lions and tigers be banned? [884 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [839 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for exceeding its bluefin tuna quota? [838 Views]
- POLL: Should the illegal wildlife trade in slow lorises be stopped? [838 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [793 Views]
- 10 of the Most Endangered Species on Earth [731 Views]
- POLL: Should the giraffe be listed as an endangered species? [727 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42085 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16868 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12273 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12117 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11135 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8655 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8291 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8074 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7437 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5383 Views]