WordPress is a relatively easy software to use. The following short tutorial should save you some time in getting started.
You will see a Google Translate bar, which partly covers the WordPress admin menu – close this on the top RHS by clicking Options / Turn off translation for this site.
Then click on +New / Post at the top of the page, and the “Add New Post” editing screen will open.
Step 1: Add Title – many will argue that the title is the most important part of the article. It will be indexed by Google, and all of the key words relating to the article should be featured.
Step 2: Add Text and highlight – if you already have the article on your own website ready prepared, then you can simply “copy / paste” the complete article including images right into this window.
a) To ensure consistency of style, however, please highlight the text and use the “remove formatting” button to re-format to the website’s settings.
b) when copying an article from another website or blog, undesirable html code may be inserted. Click the “clean html” button to resolve this.
c) another useful tool is the “add table” button.
Step 3: Add Tags – tags are important because they will be indexed by the search engines, and a well tagged article will get more hits. Use the suggested tags buttons “Local tags” and “Yahoo” at the bottom of the page, and supplement manually if key tags don’t show up.
Step 4: Add Images – if you have already “copy / pasted” images into the article under Step 2, then you’re done and dusted here. Another simple way to add images is by “drag and drop” from an existing article on another website. Then the images are “hot-linked” and do not need to be uploaded to the platform. The traditional way to add images is to click the “add media” button. This will be covered in more detail on the tutorial Posting Your Images.
Step 5: Add Categories – choose at least one category, so that your article can be searched by categories. e.g. “videos”, “audio”, “books”, etc.
Step 6: Save Draft & Preview – at this point it’s probably good to save your draft and preview. This gives you the chance to visualize how the final article will look and make any changes before proceeding.
Step 7: Schedule and Publish – our blog publishes 3 to 5 articles each day, and usually operates with a forward schedule of about 7 days. Check out “Posts / Calendar” and choose a free spot, when you would like your article to be published. When you’re happy with the article and have scheduled it, then click “Publish” and you’ve created your first post.
In case you have any suggestions, questions or need more information, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.
Share on social media:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3671 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1210 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1209 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1094 Views]
- POLL: Is big game hunting important for African economies? [1089 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [982 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [967 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [791 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [781 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect red squirrels? [764 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42033 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16761 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13869 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13820 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [11123 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11114 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8602 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8039 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7394 Views]