Russian Authorities are scrambling to save hundreds of starving and endangered Dalmatian pelicans after the Caspian Sea froze for the first time in years.
Hundreds of the gray-white birds with distinctive curly feathers at their napes are jostling one another in a rare patch of unfrozen water at a shipyard near the city of Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian province of Dagestan.
About 20 birds have died of hunger despite hundreds of kilograms (pounds) of fish that his ministry and a local lawmaker are purchasing daily to feed them, Dagestan’s Nature Protection Ministry spokesman Arslan Dydymov said Tuesday.
Fewer than 1,400 Dalmatian pelicans, the world’s largest, live in southern Russia.
The birds are getting sprats from the local market because fresh fish from the iced-over Caspian is not available.
“Yesterday it seemed they ate more than enough,” said Kurban Kuniev of the Dagestan nature reserve.
The birds flew to Makhachkala last week from the frozen deltas of the Volga and Terek rivers up north. Local residents were so excited by the arrival that the guards at the Makhachkala shipyard had to stop hundreds from entering with bread and other unsuitable foods.
“We did not let them in for the sake of the pelicans,” chief guard Magomed Eldarov said.
This article was written by Associated Press and published by the Washingtom Post.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2461 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1689 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should Alaska’s refuges be opened for hunting again? [1368 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1242 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1135 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1050 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [926 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [837 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16838 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14122 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12633 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11131 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8641 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7427 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5378 Views]