Russian Authorities are scrambling to save hundreds of starving and endangered Dalmatian pelicans after the Caspian Sea froze for the first time in years.
Hundreds of the gray-white birds with distinctive curly feathers at their napes are jostling one another in a rare patch of unfrozen water at a shipyard near the city of Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian province of Dagestan.
About 20 birds have died of hunger despite hundreds of kilograms (pounds) of fish that his ministry and a local lawmaker are purchasing daily to feed them, Dagestan’s Nature Protection Ministry spokesman Arslan Dydymov said Tuesday.
Fewer than 1,400 Dalmatian pelicans, the world’s largest, live in southern Russia.
The birds are getting sprats from the local market because fresh fish from the iced-over Caspian is not available.
“Yesterday it seemed they ate more than enough,” said Kurban Kuniev of the Dagestan nature reserve.
The birds flew to Makhachkala last week from the frozen deltas of the Volga and Terek rivers up north. Local residents were so excited by the arrival that the guards at the Makhachkala shipyard had to stop hundreds from entering with bread and other unsuitable foods.
“We did not let them in for the sake of the pelicans,” chief guard Magomed Eldarov said.
This article was written by Associated Press and published by the Washingtom Post.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2918 Views]
- Video: Incredible footage shows leopard attacking two male antelope while they fight » [534 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [507 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [502 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [452 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [424 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [420 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [387 Views]
- New Pictures of Hollywood Cougar Show Sleeker, Healthier Cat » [385 Views]
- Listen to New Bird Species Discovered in Brazil: Cryptic Treehunter » [372 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7971 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7407 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5661 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4907 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4699 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4010 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3186 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2974 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2930 Views]