Russian Authorities are scrambling to save hundreds of starving and endangered Dalmatian pelicans after the Caspian Sea froze for the first time in years.
Hundreds of the gray-white birds with distinctive curly feathers at their napes are jostling one another in a rare patch of unfrozen water at a shipyard near the city of Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian province of Dagestan.
About 20 birds have died of hunger despite hundreds of kilograms (pounds) of fish that his ministry and a local lawmaker are purchasing daily to feed them, Dagestan’s Nature Protection Ministry spokesman Arslan Dydymov said Tuesday.
Fewer than 1,400 Dalmatian pelicans, the world’s largest, live in southern Russia.
The birds are getting sprats from the local market because fresh fish from the iced-over Caspian is not available.
“Yesterday it seemed they ate more than enough,” said Kurban Kuniev of the Dagestan nature reserve.
The birds flew to Makhachkala last week from the frozen deltas of the Volga and Terek rivers up north. Local residents were so excited by the arrival that the guards at the Makhachkala shipyard had to stop hundreds from entering with bread and other unsuitable foods.
“We did not let them in for the sake of the pelicans,” chief guard Magomed Eldarov said.
This article was written by Associated Press and published by the Washingtom Post.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [3855 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? » [2803 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of black bears in Wisconsin be stopped? » [2448 Views]
- POLL: Should the Spanish bullfighting tradition be banned? » [2105 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect the red squirrel? » [1509 Views]
- POLL: Should there be an international agreement to protect the arctic? » [1422 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of baby elephants to China be stopped? » [1421 Views]
- After 60 million years of extreme living, seabirds are crashing » [1364 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [1315 Views]
- POLL: Should “Drive Hunt” Slaughter of Wildlife be Banned? » [1292 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [14060 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11283 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [8370 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [8015 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [6053 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [5382 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4757 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4320 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [4142 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3933 Views]