Russian Authorities are scrambling to save hundreds of starving and endangered Dalmatian pelicans after the Caspian Sea froze for the first time in years.
Hundreds of the gray-white birds with distinctive curly feathers at their napes are jostling one another in a rare patch of unfrozen water at a shipyard near the city of Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian province of Dagestan.
About 20 birds have died of hunger despite hundreds of kilograms (pounds) of fish that his ministry and a local lawmaker are purchasing daily to feed them, Dagestan’s Nature Protection Ministry spokesman Arslan Dydymov said Tuesday.
Fewer than 1,400 Dalmatian pelicans, the world’s largest, live in southern Russia.
The birds are getting sprats from the local market because fresh fish from the iced-over Caspian is not available.
“Yesterday it seemed they ate more than enough,” said Kurban Kuniev of the Dagestan nature reserve.
The birds flew to Makhachkala last week from the frozen deltas of the Volga and Terek rivers up north. Local residents were so excited by the arrival that the guards at the Makhachkala shipyard had to stop hundreds from entering with bread and other unsuitable foods.
“We did not let them in for the sake of the pelicans,” chief guard Magomed Eldarov said.
This article was written by Associated Press and published by the Washingtom Post.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [759 Views]
- Shot Egyptian vulture leads conservationists to bizarre black-market for bird parts » [604 Views]
- Cuckoos’ shameless egg-laying tactics revealed » [459 Views]
- Japan kills 30 minke whales in first hunt since UN court order » [443 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [432 Views]
- Albatross Internet Darling Takes First Flight » [369 Views]
- Elachuridae: Ornithologists Describe New Family of Passerine Birds » [349 Views]
- Software can decode bird songs » [339 Views]
- Video: Polar Bear Cam Provides Unique View into Arctic Life » [314 Views]
- Video: Horseshoe Crabs Mate in Annual Beach “Orgy” » [311 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33745 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [28002 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12099 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [9870 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7867 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [7245 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6999 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5530 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5270 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5098 Views]