Russian Authorities are scrambling to save hundreds of starving and endangered Dalmatian pelicans after the Caspian Sea froze for the first time in years.
Hundreds of the gray-white birds with distinctive curly feathers at their napes are jostling one another in a rare patch of unfrozen water at a shipyard near the city of Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian province of Dagestan.
About 20 birds have died of hunger despite hundreds of kilograms (pounds) of fish that his ministry and a local lawmaker are purchasing daily to feed them, Dagestan’s Nature Protection Ministry spokesman Arslan Dydymov said Tuesday.
Fewer than 1,400 Dalmatian pelicans, the world’s largest, live in southern Russia.
The birds are getting sprats from the local market because fresh fish from the iced-over Caspian is not available.
“Yesterday it seemed they ate more than enough,” said Kurban Kuniev of the Dagestan nature reserve.
The birds flew to Makhachkala last week from the frozen deltas of the Volga and Terek rivers up north. Local residents were so excited by the arrival that the guards at the Makhachkala shipyard had to stop hundreds from entering with bread and other unsuitable foods.
“We did not let them in for the sake of the pelicans,” chief guard Magomed Eldarov said.
This article was written by Associated Press and published by the Washingtom Post.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6602 Views]
- Poll: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [1927 Views]
- Angry hippo flings newborn calf into the air » [1173 Views]
- Recently rediscovered hummingbird faces extinction » [1097 Views]
- Video: Mother Owl Takes On Snake – and Wins » [974 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [853 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [817 Views]
- Thought-to-be-extinct ‘halloween’ frog rediscovered in Costa Rica » [754 Views]
- The triumph of the bison: Europe’s biggest animal bounces back a century after vanishing » [720 Views]
- Butterfly wings inspire cosmetics and bomb detectors » [625 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11823 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10680 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6832 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4008 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3814 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3698 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3519 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [3004 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2966 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2704 Views]