Russian Authorities are scrambling to save hundreds of starving and endangered Dalmatian pelicans after the Caspian Sea froze for the first time in years.
Hundreds of the gray-white birds with distinctive curly feathers at their napes are jostling one another in a rare patch of unfrozen water at a shipyard near the city of Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian province of Dagestan.
About 20 birds have died of hunger despite hundreds of kilograms (pounds) of fish that his ministry and a local lawmaker are purchasing daily to feed them, Dagestan’s Nature Protection Ministry spokesman Arslan Dydymov said Tuesday.
Fewer than 1,400 Dalmatian pelicans, the world’s largest, live in southern Russia.
The birds are getting sprats from the local market because fresh fish from the iced-over Caspian is not available.
“Yesterday it seemed they ate more than enough,” said Kurban Kuniev of the Dagestan nature reserve.
The birds flew to Makhachkala last week from the frozen deltas of the Volga and Terek rivers up north. Local residents were so excited by the arrival that the guards at the Makhachkala shipyard had to stop hundreds from entering with bread and other unsuitable foods.
“We did not let them in for the sake of the pelicans,” chief guard Magomed Eldarov said.
This article was written by Associated Press and published by the Washingtom Post.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [715 Views]
- Poll: Should wolves be slaughtered to save caribou? » [436 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [433 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [426 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [384 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [376 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [375 Views]
- Video: Gamekeeper jailed in Scotland for killing bird of prey » [360 Views]
- How Killer Fungus Burns Up Bats From the Inside » [340 Views]
- Video: Mountain Lions Caught on Camera in San Francisco Bay Area » [330 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10695 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7994 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4711 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4468 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4021 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3405 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3086 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2934 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2912 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2809 Views]