Russian Authorities are scrambling to save hundreds of starving and endangered Dalmatian pelicans after the Caspian Sea froze for the first time in years.
Hundreds of the gray-white birds with distinctive curly feathers at their napes are jostling one another in a rare patch of unfrozen water at a shipyard near the city of Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian province of Dagestan.
About 20 birds have died of hunger despite hundreds of kilograms (pounds) of fish that his ministry and a local lawmaker are purchasing daily to feed them, Dagestan’s Nature Protection Ministry spokesman Arslan Dydymov said Tuesday.
Fewer than 1,400 Dalmatian pelicans, the world’s largest, live in southern Russia.
The birds are getting sprats from the local market because fresh fish from the iced-over Caspian is not available.
“Yesterday it seemed they ate more than enough,” said Kurban Kuniev of the Dagestan nature reserve.
The birds flew to Makhachkala last week from the frozen deltas of the Volga and Terek rivers up north. Local residents were so excited by the arrival that the guards at the Makhachkala shipyard had to stop hundreds from entering with bread and other unsuitable foods.
“We did not let them in for the sake of the pelicans,” chief guard Magomed Eldarov said.
This article was written by Associated Press and published by the Washingtom Post.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [15232 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan’s “research whaling” program be closed down? [1954 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s wild horses be culled? [1559 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1361 Views]
- Rare desert lions of ‘five musketeers’ fame poisoned [1241 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway’s plan to cull its wolves be abandoned? [1208 Views]
- The biologist terrifying the US Forest Service, timber and forest fire-fighting industries [1187 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan’s killing of dolphins and whales be stopped? [953 Views]
- POLL: Should the badger cull in the UK be extended? [897 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [840 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41847 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16572 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15204 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13387 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11069 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [10031 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8401 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8265 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [7999 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7985 Views]