Russian Authorities are scrambling to save hundreds of starving and endangered Dalmatian pelicans after the Caspian Sea froze for the first time in years.
Hundreds of the gray-white birds with distinctive curly feathers at their napes are jostling one another in a rare patch of unfrozen water at a shipyard near the city of Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian province of Dagestan.
About 20 birds have died of hunger despite hundreds of kilograms (pounds) of fish that his ministry and a local lawmaker are purchasing daily to feed them, Dagestan’s Nature Protection Ministry spokesman Arslan Dydymov said Tuesday.
Fewer than 1,400 Dalmatian pelicans, the world’s largest, live in southern Russia.
The birds are getting sprats from the local market because fresh fish from the iced-over Caspian is not available.
“Yesterday it seemed they ate more than enough,” said Kurban Kuniev of the Dagestan nature reserve.
The birds flew to Makhachkala last week from the frozen deltas of the Volga and Terek rivers up north. Local residents were so excited by the arrival that the guards at the Makhachkala shipyard had to stop hundreds from entering with bread and other unsuitable foods.
“We did not let them in for the sake of the pelicans,” chief guard Magomed Eldarov said.
This article was written by Associated Press and published by the Washingtom Post.
Leave a Comment
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Israel leads the way using Barn Owls and Kestrels to replace Rodenticides » [1599 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [766 Views]
- Drone Captures Stunning Birds’-eye Video of Dolphin Superpod » [713 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [624 Views]
- How a River Otter Can Bag an Alligator for Lunch » [610 Views]
- POLL: Should the US ban the import and export of tiger bone wine? » [602 Views]
- HELP migrating birds WIN the “Race for Conservation” today » [462 Views]
- New York Backtracks on Plans to Eradicate Mute Swans » [428 Views]
- Feathers fly in Norwegian wild bird reality-TV show » [412 Views]
- Finnish reindeer sprayed with glow-in-the-dark liquid to prevent accidents » [408 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33546 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [27231 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11838 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [11330 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7888 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7646 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6973 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5226 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5139 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4862 Views]