Russian Authorities are scrambling to save hundreds of starving and endangered Dalmatian pelicans after the Caspian Sea froze for the first time in years.
Hundreds of the gray-white birds with distinctive curly feathers at their napes are jostling one another in a rare patch of unfrozen water at a shipyard near the city of Makhachkala, the capital of the southern Russian province of Dagestan.
About 20 birds have died of hunger despite hundreds of kilograms (pounds) of fish that his ministry and a local lawmaker are purchasing daily to feed them, Dagestan’s Nature Protection Ministry spokesman Arslan Dydymov said Tuesday.
Fewer than 1,400 Dalmatian pelicans, the world’s largest, live in southern Russia.
The birds are getting sprats from the local market because fresh fish from the iced-over Caspian is not available.
“Yesterday it seemed they ate more than enough,” said Kurban Kuniev of the Dagestan nature reserve.
The birds flew to Makhachkala last week from the frozen deltas of the Volga and Terek rivers up north. Local residents were so excited by the arrival that the guards at the Makhachkala shipyard had to stop hundreds from entering with bread and other unsuitable foods.
“We did not let them in for the sake of the pelicans,” chief guard Magomed Eldarov said.
This article was written by Associated Press and published by the Washingtom Post.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2279 Views]
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1124 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [977 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [820 Views]
- Bald Eagle Adopts Baby Hawk Instead of Eating Him [772 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [701 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [688 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [642 Views]
- Heroic Boat Captain Rescues Entangled Great White Shark [622 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [617 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42100 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11108 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [9198 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8679 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8246 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7448 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4694 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4659 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4609 Views]