Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41417 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [8840 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [6910 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4347 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4325 Views]
- POLL: Should animals be kept in zoos and circuses? [2850 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [2507 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of animals by Wildlife Services be stopped? [2126 Views]
- POLL: Should the UK halt its failed badger cull policy? [2086 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1485 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41419 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15267 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? [14355 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12403 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [9971 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [7667 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [6900 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? [6805 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6136 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [6111 Views]