Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Saudi authorities sound warning on illegal hunting in rented farms [1497 Views]
- POLL: Should fox-hunting laws be strictly enforced? [1158 Views]
- POLL: Should the bear bile trade ban be strictly enforced? [985 Views]
- POLL: Should the harvesting of wild turtles be banned? [923 Views]
- POLL: Should this Canadian pipeline project be scrapped to save killer whales? [890 Views]
- The man saving 30,000 seabirds [791 Views]
- Elephant refugees flee to last stronghold in Africa [775 Views]
- 7 stunning forest birds we could soon lose forever [774 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [708 Views]
- Another Hen Harrier shot dead sparking fears for rare bird of prey [665 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41920 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16661 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14027 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13457 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11093 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8540 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8468 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8287 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8019 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7321 Views]