Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Ray Barlow's passion for capturing birds and wildlife began at the Manila Zoo in 2004. Since then he has established himself as a professional bird and wildlife photographer. Ray is based near to Toronto Canada and hosts photography travel tours and workshops around the world. He goes to places like Yellowstone, Tanzania, Costa Rica, India, and British Columbia. Action photography including animals in chase or birds such as hummingbirds in flight is Ray's specialty. Now being sponsored by Jobu Design gimbal Heads.
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the dolphinarium project in Arizona be stopped? [4044 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [3174 Views]
- POLL: Should bear trafficking in Southeast Asia be stopped? [2424 Views]
- Wild Tigers of India – in Battle! [1975 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade of polar bear parts be banned? [1292 Views]
- Animals Rule Chernobyl 30 Years After Nuclear Disaster – [1283 Views]
- POLL: Should bear-bile farming be banned? [1274 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in rare lizard species be banned? [1157 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in wild birds be stopped? – [975 Views]
- Will Zimbabwe Sell Off Its Rare ‘Painted Dogs’? [932 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15267 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? [14319 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [9922 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? [7759 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? [6744 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6139 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? [5891 Views]
- POLL: Should ‘canned’ lion hunting be banned? [5683 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [5400 Views]
- POLL: Should whales and dolphins be kept in captivity for our entertainment? [5286 Views]