Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2475 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1886 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1816 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1564 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1280 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1056 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [951 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [843 Views]
- POLL: Should the Government cull badgers or vaccinate them? [713 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16838 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14128 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12686 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11132 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8641 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7428 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5378 Views]