Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2501 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [512 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [504 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [499 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [451 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [417 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [386 Views]
- Video: Incredible footage shows leopard attacking two male antelope while they fight » [370 Views]
- New Pictures of Hollywood Cougar Show Sleeker, Healthier Cat » [369 Views]
- Listen to New Bird Species Discovered in Brazil: Cryptic Treehunter » [368 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7969 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7406 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5657 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4898 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4709 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4015 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3188 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3155 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2926 Views]