Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the MOTV trophy hunting channel be closed down? [1664 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a tough crack down on the killing of raptors? [1205 Views]
- POLL: Should captivity for all killer whales be banned? [1201 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of lions be banned? [1173 Views]
- POLL: Should the keeping of dolphins in captivity be banned? [1146 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting be banned? [1144 Views]
- POLL: Should the pangolin slaughter in Africa be banned? [882 Views]
- POLL: Should Asia’s elephant tourism be banned? [774 Views]
- POLL: Should the culling of Scotland’s mountain hares be banned? [712 Views]
- Selfie-Seeking Men Kidnap, Injure Endangered Florida Deer [692 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16946 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9370 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [7473 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [4084 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3792 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2860 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2636 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2570 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [2562 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2313 Views]