Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Leave a Comment
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Israel leads the way using Barn Owls and Kestrels to replace Rodenticides » [1647 Views]
- POLL: Should spring hunting on Malta be stopped? » [1185 Views]
- Drone Captures Stunning Birds’-eye Video of Dolphin Superpod » [729 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [729 Views]
- How a River Otter Can Bag an Alligator for Lunch » [623 Views]
- POLL: Should the US ban the import and export of tiger bone wine? » [620 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [548 Views]
- Europe approves vet drug that killed off almost all of Asia’s vultures » [543 Views]
- HELP migrating birds WIN the “Race for Conservation” today » [471 Views]
- New York Backtracks on Plans to Eradicate Mute Swans » [432 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33598 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [27287 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11870 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [11339 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7956 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7667 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6975 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5229 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5165 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4882 Views]