Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [714 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [433 Views]
- Poll: Should wolves be slaughtered to save caribou? » [428 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [424 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [383 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [375 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [374 Views]
- Video: Gamekeeper jailed in Scotland for killing bird of prey » [359 Views]
- How Killer Fungus Burns Up Bats From the Inside » [339 Views]
- Video: Mountain Lions Caught on Camera in San Francisco Bay Area » [328 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10695 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7994 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4717 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4501 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4028 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3405 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3086 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2936 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2912 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2804 Views]