Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » [2554 Views]
- PETITION: Stop the massive slaughter of migratory birds in Egypt! » [1822 Views]
- POLL: Should canned hunting in Arizona be banned? » [1711 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [1230 Views]
- If You Care About Birds, Watch This 4-Minute Video » [1172 Views]
- ‘Lost’ bird rediscovered in New Caledonia along with 16 potentially new species » [1165 Views]
- » [1105 Views]
- » [1096 Views]
- » [952 Views]
- 6 Reasons You Should Be Drinking “Bird-Friendly” Coffee » [882 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [32409 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [25890 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11379 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [9682 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [6677 Views]
- POLL: Should the trial cull of badgers go ahead? » [4362 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4318 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4246 Views]
- Cyclist Has Amazing Encounter with a Mountain Lion in Los Angeles » [3843 Views]
- Egypt is the Worst Place to Be a Migratory Bird – Shocking Video » [3578 Views]