Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6969 Views]
- Poll: Should Rhinos be Hunted to Support Conservation » [2234 Views]
- Poll: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2016 Views]
- » 12 Extraordinary Pictures Show Animals Headed for Extinction [1716 Views]
- Angry hippo flings newborn calf into the air » [1193 Views]
- Video: Mother Owl Takes On Snake – and Wins » [1134 Views]
- Recently rediscovered hummingbird faces extinction » [1115 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [888 Views]
- Thought-to-be-extinct ‘halloween’ frog rediscovered in Costa Rica » [878 Views]
- A third of Europe’s birds under threat, says most comprehensive study yet » [742 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11846 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10681 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7193 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4015 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3820 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3708 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3501 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [3006 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2966 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2702 Views]