Our bluebirds here in Ontario are a very beautiful species. so much fun to just sit back and watch them during nesting season. The male and female work together, and rarely will you see them separated. Mainly, they find man made bird boxes, and create nesting inside, through access of a 1 inch diameter hole.
They feed on insects, and worms mostly, and hunt within 100 yards of their box. They seem to like perches that are about 6 – 10 feet off the ground for a good hunting position.
The biggest challenge they seem to face would be the tree swallows, as each species competes for the nest box. There is always a battle for these nest boxes during the spring, usually in April and May.
One tip I like to suggest here is the “negative space”. Personally, I do not like any kind of tight crop with birding photos. Preferring to stay back, and include as much environment as possible will always be a priority. I find photographers who do cut in tight with birds are more into academic records, rather then artistic imaging.
The space left open away from the bird give the viewer a sense of story, and anticipation. Leaving room for the bird to “fly into” seems to make the story more complete. More photography tips coming soon.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [1915 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1885 Views]
- POLL: Can lion trophy hunting support conservation? » [1829 Views]
- 25 million songbirds slaughtered each year in the Mediterranean » [1462 Views]
- POLL: When bears kill humans should they be slaughtered? » [1448 Views]
- Night parrot capture and tagging hailed as ‘holy grail’ moment for bird lovers » [1416 Views]
- POLL: Should badger culls be abandoned once and for all? » [1382 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1376 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dallas Safari Club Auction be stopped? » [1361 Views]
- Rare Picture: Blackbird “Rides” Hawk » [1243 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [13854 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11224 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10750 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7952 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [7641 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [4992 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4711 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4203 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on South Africa’s horn trade be lifted? » [3502 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3496 Views]