Grasshoppers are common insects. Often seen and heard during thewarmer months here in the U.S., they are symbolic of summer and outdoor activities. In Florida the Eastern Lubber (Romalea microptera) is our most observed species. They are large (3 inches), brightly colored, flightless and slow moving.
Lubber’s distribution is in the “U.S Subtropics,” as you can see by the map
When we begin to see them in the spring, they are small black nymphs with yellow stripes. They moult through five instars and as they do, they change color to the yellow/orange with black spots in the first photo. Above, this “teenager” is growing bigger, but still dark colored.
Being “popular” insects, grasshoppers were studied long ago! Grasshoppers are herbivorous, and although harmless to humans, some can do significant damage to crops. Want to know more about our insect world….get a copy of the “Field Guide to Insects of North America,” by my Facebook friend, Eric Eaton.
Here’s another book I liked.
Fabled in story, song and even poetry…..here’s a grasshopper ode!
all day long
we hear your scraping
such funny legs
such funny feet
and how we wonder
what you eat
maybe a single blink of dew
sipped from a clover leaf would do
then high in air
once more you spring
to fall in grass again
Conrad Potter AikenBelow is a Lubber growing larger, but still black with yellow stripes.
Wiki link for Lubbers
See if you can find the grasshopper in this classic Hokusai painting!And here is a cohort of young lubber instars!
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2349 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [1334 Views]
- Watch: How Did a Young Elephant Drive Off 14 Lions? » [747 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [526 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [503 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [484 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [441 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [409 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [379 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [378 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7969 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7406 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5657 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4885 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4724 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4012 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3188 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3073 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2924 Views]