Carduelis carduelis – Passeriformes – Fringillidae.
This is the bird that started my passion for birding when I was a kid! I have hand raised a number of Goldfinches but one in particular was very special. He would go to his cage only to sleep and nibble seeds, otherwise he was always with one of us!
A la rencontre des Chardonnerets
Toute ma passion pour les oiseaux a commencé avec eux. J’ai eu l’occasion d’en élever à la main, tombés de l’immense glycine qui ornait la façade de la maison de ma grand-mère. L’un d’eux nous était particulièrement attaché.
Le chant d’un chardonneret en “captivité” est bien plus mélodieux que celui des oiseaux sauvages. Ilss ne viennent jamais à la mangeoire, j’ai fait un affût rien que pour eux devant cette vieille tige de Bardane dont ils semblaient raffoler!
The Goldfinch song is much more melodious from a ‘captive’ bird then from a wild one. As they do not come to the feeders, I went in hide where I knew they come to eat the seeds from a dried burdock twig.
On n’est pas surpris qu’il puisse aller chercher des petites graines tout au fond des fleurs séchées, avec ce bec si particulièrement affilé:
With such a sharp beak, no wonder it can search deep into the flower to extract the tiny seeds:
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Passionate about Wildlife, Photography and Wildlife issues. I live in the south of France at the present, but have lived in Africa for 16 years, in the U.S. for 3 years and I have Australia in mind for the future. With my husband, I created and managed a BIRD PARK in South Africa, raising mainly psittacines; the breeding facility housed over 1000 parrots at any given time. I speak French and English alike and manage decently in Spanish. My photography is about sharing fauna's beauty with other enthusiasts! Equipment: NIKON Camera: D7100, D5200 Lens: 300 mm, 80/400 mm, 500 mm, 800 mm, Macro 150 Sigma. * * * My work can be seen HERE: http://1000-pattes.blogspot.fr/ * * * NOT ON FACEBOOK NOR ANY OTHER SOCIAL NETWORK except Twitter
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should buzzards be killed to protect pheasants? [1554 Views]
- POLL: Should Namibia’s cape fur seal trade be banned? [910 Views]
- POLL: Should moose be added to the endangered species list? [811 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [747 Views]
- Video: Great White Shark breaks into diver’s cage [680 Views]
- New Zealand kea, the world’s only alpine parrot, faces extinction [666 Views]
- China accused of defying its own ban on breeding tigers to profit from body parts [578 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway’s plan to cull its wolves be abandoned? [467 Views]
- POLL: Should all countries worldwide ban the trade in elephant ivory? [445 Views]
- POLL: Should wild animals be kept in zoos? [436 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41885 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16606 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14033 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13404 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11085 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8427 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8281 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8258 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8012 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7281 Views]