Carduelis carduelis – Passeriformes – Fringillidae.
This is the bird that started my passion for birding when I was a kid! I have hand raised a number of Goldfinches but one in particular was very special. He would go to his cage only to sleep and nibble seeds, otherwise he was always with one of us!
A la rencontre des Chardonnerets
Toute ma passion pour les oiseaux a commencé avec eux. J’ai eu l’occasion d’en élever à la main, tombés de l’immense glycine qui ornait la façade de la maison de ma grand-mère. L’un d’eux nous était particulièrement attaché.
Le chant d’un chardonneret en “captivité” est bien plus mélodieux que celui des oiseaux sauvages. Ilss ne viennent jamais à la mangeoire, j’ai fait un affût rien que pour eux devant cette vieille tige de Bardane dont ils semblaient raffoler!
The Goldfinch song is much more melodious from a ‘captive’ bird then from a wild one. As they do not come to the feeders, I went in hide where I knew they come to eat the seeds from a dried burdock twig.
On n’est pas surpris qu’il puisse aller chercher des petites graines tout au fond des fleurs séchées, avec ce bec si particulièrement affilé:
With such a sharp beak, no wonder it can search deep into the flower to extract the tiny seeds:
Passionate about Wildlife, Photography and Wildlife issues. I live in the south of France at the present, but have lived in Africa for 16 years, in the U.S. for 3 years. With my husband, I created and managed a BIRD PARK in South Africa, raising mainly psittacines; the breeding facility housed over 1000 parrots at any given time. I speak French and English alike and manage decently in Spanish. My photography is about sharing fauna's beauty with other enthusiasts! Equipment: ALL NIKON Cameras: D500, D750 Tele lenses: 300 mm, 500 mm, 800 mm f5/6E, Zoom lenses: 16/80 mm, 80/400 mm, 200/500 mm and: Macro 150 Sigma. * * * My work can be seen HERE: http://1000-pattes.blogspot.fr/ * * * NOT ON FACEBOOK
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the tradition of throwing wild turkeys from a plane be allowed? – [1931 Views]
- POLL: Should the Rare Spirit Bear Be Protected From Hunters? – [1652 Views]
- POLL: Should Arizona’s wild cats be protected from trophy hunters? – [1315 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of bears as living tourist attractions be banned? – [1205 Views]
- POLL: Should Dolphinariums As Tourist Attractions Be Closed Down? – [1071 Views]
- POLL: Should animal traps in our National Wildlife Refuges be banned? – [1065 Views]
- POLL: Should Orcas and Dolphins be freed from all Seaquariums? – [1033 Views]
- POLL: Should the Alaska Refuge be opened up for drilling? – [992 Views]
- POLL: Should the testing of cosmetics on animals be banned? – [897 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [827 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7645 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [6594 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3788 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3605 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3055 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]