With the number of Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) now under 200 and declining rapidly, a group of conservationists have organized an emergency summit to discuss courses of action to save the world’s smallest remaining rhino from extinction.
The Sumatran Rhino Crisis Summit is being convened by International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Species Survival Commission from 31 March to 4 April, 2013 in Singapore. The meeting aims to come up with a plan and funds to prevent the rhino’s extinction.
Past efforts to protect the Sumatran Rhinoceros — including a disastrous captive breeding program — largely failed. The species, which clings to life in parts of peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra, and Malaysian Borneo, is most immediately threatened by its low population density in the wild, poaching for their horns, and habitat loss.
Organizers of the event include the Borneo Rhino Alliance (BORA, Malaysia), Land Empowerment Animals People (LEAP, Malaysia), Fauna and Flora International (FFI Indonesia), Rhino Foundation of Indonesia (YABI), Indonesian Zoo and Aquarium Association (PKBSI), International Rhino Foundation (IRF), Leuser International Foundation (LIF, Indonesia), Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS Indonesia), Taman Safari Indonesia (TSI), WWF and SOS Rhino US.
Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0317-sumatran-rhino-summit.html
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2351 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [1335 Views]
- Watch: How Did a Young Elephant Drive Off 14 Lions? » [747 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [526 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [503 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [487 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [445 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [409 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [382 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [378 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7969 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7406 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5657 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4885 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4731 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4015 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3190 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3074 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2924 Views]