With the number of Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) now under 200 and declining rapidly, a group of conservationists have organized an emergency summit to discuss courses of action to save the world’s smallest remaining rhino from extinction.
The Sumatran Rhino Crisis Summit is being convened by International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Species Survival Commission from 31 March to 4 April, 2013 in Singapore. The meeting aims to come up with a plan and funds to prevent the rhino’s extinction.
Past efforts to protect the Sumatran Rhinoceros — including a disastrous captive breeding program — largely failed. The species, which clings to life in parts of peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra, and Malaysian Borneo, is most immediately threatened by its low population density in the wild, poaching for their horns, and habitat loss.
Organizers of the event include the Borneo Rhino Alliance (BORA, Malaysia), Land Empowerment Animals People (LEAP, Malaysia), Fauna and Flora International (FFI Indonesia), Rhino Foundation of Indonesia (YABI), Indonesian Zoo and Aquarium Association (PKBSI), International Rhino Foundation (IRF), Leuser International Foundation (LIF, Indonesia), Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS Indonesia), Taman Safari Indonesia (TSI), WWF and SOS Rhino US.
Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0317-sumatran-rhino-summit.html
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [660 Views]
- Video: Mountain Lions Caught on Camera in San Francisco Bay Area » [582 Views]
- Video: Drone Captures Amazing Humpback Whale Feeding Event on Camera » [540 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [426 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [422 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [378 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [370 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [361 Views]
- Video: What’s the Difference Between Rabbits and Hares? » [355 Views]
- How Killer Fungus Burns Up Bats From the Inside » [331 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10695 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7989 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4732 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4516 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4035 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3397 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3081 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2934 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2904 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2787 Views]