With the number of Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) now under 200 and declining rapidly, a group of conservationists have organized an emergency summit to discuss courses of action to save the world’s smallest remaining rhino from extinction.
The Sumatran Rhino Crisis Summit is being convened by International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Species Survival Commission from 31 March to 4 April, 2013 in Singapore. The meeting aims to come up with a plan and funds to prevent the rhino’s extinction.
Past efforts to protect the Sumatran Rhinoceros — including a disastrous captive breeding program — largely failed. The species, which clings to life in parts of peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra, and Malaysian Borneo, is most immediately threatened by its low population density in the wild, poaching for their horns, and habitat loss.
Organizers of the event include the Borneo Rhino Alliance (BORA, Malaysia), Land Empowerment Animals People (LEAP, Malaysia), Fauna and Flora International (FFI Indonesia), Rhino Foundation of Indonesia (YABI), Indonesian Zoo and Aquarium Association (PKBSI), International Rhino Foundation (IRF), Leuser International Foundation (LIF, Indonesia), Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS Indonesia), Taman Safari Indonesia (TSI), WWF and SOS Rhino US.
Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0317-sumatran-rhino-summit.html
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [1979 Views]
- In Photos: “Drunk” mountain gorilla punches wildlife photographer » [1158 Views]
- Inaguan Lyretail: Scientists Unveil New Species of Hummingbird » [1071 Views]
- Hilarious Video: Attenborough interrupted by Bird of Paradise » [745 Views]
- Poll: Should the illegal trapping of birds in Cyprus be stopped? » [682 Views]
- Owl attacks joggers and steals their hats » [660 Views]
- Poll: Should Zimbabwe be allowed to export baby elephants? » [618 Views]
- Desert Tawny Owl: New Species of Bird Discovered » [597 Views]
- Video: Superb Owl Sunday » [579 Views]
- Threatened species given lifeline by new bait developed to kill feral cats » [574 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10682 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4559 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4141 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3782 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3470 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2917 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2843 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [2663 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2648 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [2449 Views]