With the number of Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) now under 200 and declining rapidly, a group of conservationists have organized an emergency summit to discuss courses of action to save the world’s smallest remaining rhino from extinction.
The Sumatran Rhino Crisis Summit is being convened by International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Species Survival Commission from 31 March to 4 April, 2013 in Singapore. The meeting aims to come up with a plan and funds to prevent the rhino’s extinction.
Past efforts to protect the Sumatran Rhinoceros — including a disastrous captive breeding program — largely failed. The species, which clings to life in parts of peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra, and Malaysian Borneo, is most immediately threatened by its low population density in the wild, poaching for their horns, and habitat loss.
Organizers of the event include the Borneo Rhino Alliance (BORA, Malaysia), Land Empowerment Animals People (LEAP, Malaysia), Fauna and Flora International (FFI Indonesia), Rhino Foundation of Indonesia (YABI), Indonesian Zoo and Aquarium Association (PKBSI), International Rhino Foundation (IRF), Leuser International Foundation (LIF, Indonesia), Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS Indonesia), Taman Safari Indonesia (TSI), WWF and SOS Rhino US.
Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0317-sumatran-rhino-summit.html
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [8881 Views]
- Tiger family photo surprises scientists » [1036 Views]
- POLL: Should the kill quota on cougars be increased in New Mexico? » [816 Views]
- Poll: Do you agree that shooting pheasants is good for the countryside? » [794 Views]
- Extreme birdwatching: Twitching in war zones » [680 Views]
- POLL: Should spring hunting on Malta be stopped? » [498 Views]
- POLL: Should fishermen in Peru be allowed to continue slaughtering dolphins? Shocking Video! » [493 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [390 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [341 Views]
- Amazing: Tiny Birds Fly Without Landing for Three Days » [330 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11494 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10678 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4124 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3690 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3656 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3400 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [2981 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2951 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2877 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2683 Views]