With the number of Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) now under 200 and declining rapidly, a group of conservationists have organized an emergency summit to discuss courses of action to save the world’s smallest remaining rhino from extinction.
The Sumatran Rhino Crisis Summit is being convened by International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Species Survival Commission from 31 March to 4 April, 2013 in Singapore. The meeting aims to come up with a plan and funds to prevent the rhino’s extinction.
Past efforts to protect the Sumatran Rhinoceros — including a disastrous captive breeding program — largely failed. The species, which clings to life in parts of peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra, and Malaysian Borneo, is most immediately threatened by its low population density in the wild, poaching for their horns, and habitat loss.
Organizers of the event include the Borneo Rhino Alliance (BORA, Malaysia), Land Empowerment Animals People (LEAP, Malaysia), Fauna and Flora International (FFI Indonesia), Rhino Foundation of Indonesia (YABI), Indonesian Zoo and Aquarium Association (PKBSI), International Rhino Foundation (IRF), Leuser International Foundation (LIF, Indonesia), Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS Indonesia), Taman Safari Indonesia (TSI), WWF and SOS Rhino US.
Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0317-sumatran-rhino-summit.html
Leave a Comment
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Israel leads the way using Barn Owls and Kestrels to replace Rodenticides » [1632 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [736 Views]
- Drone Captures Stunning Birds’-eye Video of Dolphin Superpod » [724 Views]
- How a River Otter Can Bag an Alligator for Lunch » [621 Views]
- POLL: Should the US ban the import and export of tiger bone wine? » [618 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [530 Views]
- HELP migrating birds WIN the “Race for Conservation” today » [465 Views]
- New York Backtracks on Plans to Eradicate Mute Swans » [431 Views]
- Feathers fly in Norwegian wild bird reality-TV show » [417 Views]
- Europe approves vet drug that killed off almost all of Asia’s vultures » [413 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33587 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [27260 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11854 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [11336 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7912 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7658 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6974 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5228 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5149 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4879 Views]