With the number of Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) now under 200 and declining rapidly, a group of conservationists have organized an emergency summit to discuss courses of action to save the world’s smallest remaining rhino from extinction.
The Sumatran Rhino Crisis Summit is being convened by International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Species Survival Commission from 31 March to 4 April, 2013 in Singapore. The meeting aims to come up with a plan and funds to prevent the rhino’s extinction.
Past efforts to protect the Sumatran Rhinoceros — including a disastrous captive breeding program — largely failed. The species, which clings to life in parts of peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra, and Malaysian Borneo, is most immediately threatened by its low population density in the wild, poaching for their horns, and habitat loss.
Organizers of the event include the Borneo Rhino Alliance (BORA, Malaysia), Land Empowerment Animals People (LEAP, Malaysia), Fauna and Flora International (FFI Indonesia), Rhino Foundation of Indonesia (YABI), Indonesian Zoo and Aquarium Association (PKBSI), International Rhino Foundation (IRF), Leuser International Foundation (LIF, Indonesia), Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS Indonesia), Taman Safari Indonesia (TSI), WWF and SOS Rhino US.
Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0317-sumatran-rhino-summit.html
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should buzzards be killed to protect pheasants? [1554 Views]
- POLL: Should Namibia’s cape fur seal trade be banned? [910 Views]
- POLL: Should moose be added to the endangered species list? [811 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [743 Views]
- Video: Great White Shark breaks into diver’s cage [678 Views]
- New Zealand kea, the world’s only alpine parrot, faces extinction [664 Views]
- China accused of defying its own ban on breeding tigers to profit from body parts [578 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway’s plan to cull its wolves be abandoned? [467 Views]
- POLL: Should all countries worldwide ban the trade in elephant ivory? [444 Views]
- POLL: Should wild animals be kept in zoos? [435 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41885 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16606 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14035 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13404 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11085 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8427 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8281 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8278 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8012 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7281 Views]