With the number of Sumatran Rhinoceros (Dicerorhinus sumatrensis) now under 200 and declining rapidly, a group of conservationists have organized an emergency summit to discuss courses of action to save the world’s smallest remaining rhino from extinction.
The Sumatran Rhino Crisis Summit is being convened by International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Species Survival Commission from 31 March to 4 April, 2013 in Singapore. The meeting aims to come up with a plan and funds to prevent the rhino’s extinction.
Past efforts to protect the Sumatran Rhinoceros — including a disastrous captive breeding program — largely failed. The species, which clings to life in parts of peninsular Malaysia, Sumatra, and Malaysian Borneo, is most immediately threatened by its low population density in the wild, poaching for their horns, and habitat loss.
Organizers of the event include the Borneo Rhino Alliance (BORA, Malaysia), Land Empowerment Animals People (LEAP, Malaysia), Fauna and Flora International (FFI Indonesia), Rhino Foundation of Indonesia (YABI), Indonesian Zoo and Aquarium Association (PKBSI), International Rhino Foundation (IRF), Leuser International Foundation (LIF, Indonesia), Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS Indonesia), Taman Safari Indonesia (TSI), WWF and SOS Rhino US.
Read more at http://news.mongabay.com/2013/0317-sumatran-rhino-summit.html
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3600 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1172 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? [1160 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1115 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1072 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [970 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [945 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [760 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [746 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect red squirrels? [738 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42025 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16753 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13871 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13808 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11112 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [10815 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8596 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8037 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7392 Views]