This week has seen a mini influx of Waxwings in Norfolk so with a rare day off work I picked up the Jims and headed north. We arrived at the Coastguards hut Cley for first light and I quickly picked out a single Little Auk flying West close into the shore line and managed to get the Jims on it for the old man to bag himself a lifer.
Red-throated Divers flew East steadily, two Long-tailed Ducks drifted along and a flock of Common Scoter contained a single Velvet which took flight before the Jims got involved. A Guillemot and two Razorbill added to the Auk count and Gannets were about in good number although quite distant. I picked out two Great Skuas and a couple of smaller distant Skuas. A single Fieldfare flew in off the sea and Grey seals hunted close in. Five drake Eider flew through giving the Jims another year tick.
We left Cley and decided to check the Burnham area for Waxwing eventually finding a flock of at least twenty birds in Burnham Norton. The light was terrible but we pulled out the camera anyway as you do when Waxwings are about.
Last stop of the day was Titchwell. A quick Coffee and a long walk to the beach produced another tick for the Jims when three Velvet Scoter were picked up amongst the Common Scoters. Another long-tailed Duck and a couple of Mergansers drifted along here and wader numbers were good too with variety being key here.
Year list now 174
Essex Birder using the blog as a diary of my trips around the country chasing birds. Enjoying the places it takes me and the people I meet along the way. Great to spend time with my Dad and brother as we chase our year lists and grow our life list in the process.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the MOTV trophy hunting channel be closed down? [1645 Views]
- POLL: Should captivity for all killer whales be banned? [1199 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a tough crack down on the killing of raptors? [1187 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of lions be banned? [1171 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting be banned? [1142 Views]
- POLL: Should the keeping of dolphins in captivity be banned? [1109 Views]
- POLL: Should the pangolin slaughter in Africa be banned? [882 Views]
- POLL: Should Asia’s elephant tourism be banned? [772 Views]
- POLL: Should the culling of Scotland’s mountain hares be banned? [706 Views]
- Selfie-Seeking Men Kidnap, Injure Endangered Florida Deer [692 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16946 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [10178 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9400 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4734 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [4084 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3791 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2857 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2633 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2569 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2312 Views]