This week has seen a mini influx of Waxwings in Norfolk so with a rare day off work I picked up the Jims and headed north. We arrived at the Coastguards hut Cley for first light and I quickly picked out a single Little Auk flying West close into the shore line and managed to get the Jims on it for the old man to bag himself a lifer.
Red-throated Divers flew East steadily, two Long-tailed Ducks drifted along and a flock of Common Scoter contained a single Velvet which took flight before the Jims got involved. A Guillemot and two Razorbill added to the Auk count and Gannets were about in good number although quite distant. I picked out two Great Skuas and a couple of smaller distant Skuas. A single Fieldfare flew in off the sea and Grey seals hunted close in. Five drake Eider flew through giving the Jims another year tick.
We left Cley and decided to check the Burnham area for Waxwing eventually finding a flock of at least twenty birds in Burnham Norton. The light was terrible but we pulled out the camera anyway as you do when Waxwings are about.
Last stop of the day was Titchwell. A quick Coffee and a long walk to the beach produced another tick for the Jims when three Velvet Scoter were picked up amongst the Common Scoters. Another long-tailed Duck and a couple of Mergansers drifted along here and wader numbers were good too with variety being key here.
Year list now 174
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Essex Birder using the blog as a diary of my trips around the country chasing birds. Enjoying the places it takes me and the people I meet along the way. Great to spend time with my Dad and brother as we chase our year lists and grow our life list in the process.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3606 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1178 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1166 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? [1164 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1074 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [947 Views]
- POLL: Is big game hunting important for African economies? [926 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [898 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [772 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [758 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42029 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16753 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13871 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13818 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11114 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [10893 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8598 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8039 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7392 Views]