This week has seen a mini influx of Waxwings in Norfolk so with a rare day off work I picked up the Jims and headed north. We arrived at the Coastguards hut Cley for first light and I quickly picked out a single Little Auk flying West close into the shore line and managed to get the Jims on it for the old man to bag himself a lifer.
Red-throated Divers flew East steadily, two Long-tailed Ducks drifted along and a flock of Common Scoter contained a single Velvet which took flight before the Jims got involved. A Guillemot and two Razorbill added to the Auk count and Gannets were about in good number although quite distant. I picked out two Great Skuas and a couple of smaller distant Skuas. A single Fieldfare flew in off the sea and Grey seals hunted close in. Five drake Eider flew through giving the Jims another year tick.
We left Cley and decided to check the Burnham area for Waxwing eventually finding a flock of at least twenty birds in Burnham Norton. The light was terrible but we pulled out the camera anyway as you do when Waxwings are about.
Last stop of the day was Titchwell. A quick Coffee and a long walk to the beach produced another tick for the Jims when three Velvet Scoter were picked up amongst the Common Scoters. Another long-tailed Duck and a couple of Mergansers drifted along here and wader numbers were good too with variety being key here.
Year list now 174
Essex Birder using the blog as a diary of my trips around the country chasing birds. Enjoying the places it takes me and the people I meet along the way. Great to spend time with my Dad and brother as we chase our year lists and grow our life list in the process.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [1179 Views]
- POLL: Should babies be allowed to buy hunting licenses? – [1029 Views]
- POLL: Should big-game and canned, trophy hunting be banned? – [1017 Views]
- POLL: Should wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [891 Views]
- POLL: Should South Africa strictly enforce its anti-poaching legislation? – [815 Views]
- Florida Opened a Fake Alligator Farm to Catch Poachers – [806 Views]
- POLL: Should African Grey Parrots be protected from illegal trafficking? – [786 Views]
- POLL: Should gillnets be banned in the Upper Gulf to save the Vaquita? – [778 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of animals in circuses be banned? – [755 Views]
- POLL: Should international shipping of shark fins be banned? – [752 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7663 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [5866 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3818 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3648 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3065 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]