I held my first workshop of this breeding season to the Farne Islands on Wednesday. The weather wasn’t perfect but we had a good day getting some good images of the birds. The puffins are now feeding their young, giving good opportunities to get them with sandeels in their beaks. There was some nice groups of guillemots forming along with groups of puffins.
The guillemot group is an interesting one as it has two bridled guillemots as members. The bridled guillemot has a line around its eyes that looks like a pair of spectacles. The normal guillemot doesn’t have the “spectacles”. The instances of bridled guillemots in this country increases the further north you travel. On the Farne Islands the number of bridled guillemots is around for percent of the local population numbers at this latitude.
I am running the Puffin and Seabird Workshops through June and July this year on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for more detail see click on this link.
Here are a few images from the trip this week
Ron McCombe, A professional wildlife photographer, Ron lives in the Scottish Borders. He has travelled around Europe, North America and Canada in pursuit of his photographic goals. He concentrates his photography around the Borders Region of Scotland but travels up to the Highlands and Islands around Scotland running workshops in these areas. An award-winning photographer, Ron won the inaugural Scottish Nature Photographer of the Year 2010. His work can be seen in books, magazines and newspapers. He is passionate about Scotland and its amazing wildlife and promotes it in his lectures and illustrated talks all over the UK.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the tradition of throwing wild turkeys from a plane be allowed? – [1931 Views]
- POLL: Should the Rare Spirit Bear Be Protected From Hunters? – [1652 Views]
- POLL: Should Arizona’s wild cats be protected from trophy hunters? – [1315 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of bears as living tourist attractions be banned? – [1205 Views]
- POLL: Should Dolphinariums As Tourist Attractions Be Closed Down? – [1071 Views]
- POLL: Should animal traps in our National Wildlife Refuges be banned? – [1065 Views]
- POLL: Should Orcas and Dolphins be freed from all Seaquariums? – [1033 Views]
- POLL: Should the Alaska Refuge be opened up for drilling? – [992 Views]
- POLL: Should the testing of cosmetics on animals be banned? – [897 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [827 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7645 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [6594 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3788 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3605 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3055 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]