I held my first workshop of this breeding season to the Farne Islands on Wednesday. The weather wasn’t perfect but we had a good day getting some good images of the birds. The puffins are now feeding their young, giving good opportunities to get them with sandeels in their beaks. There was some nice groups of guillemots forming along with groups of puffins.
The guillemot group is an interesting one as it has two bridled guillemots as members. The bridled guillemot has a line around its eyes that looks like a pair of spectacles. The normal guillemot doesn’t have the “spectacles”. The instances of bridled guillemots in this country increases the further north you travel. On the Farne Islands the number of bridled guillemots is around for percent of the local population numbers at this latitude.
I am running the Puffin and Seabird Workshops through June and July this year on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for more detail see click on this link.
Here are a few images from the trip this week
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Ron McCombe, A professional wildlife photographer, Ron lives in the Scottish Borders. He has travelled around Europe, North America and Canada in pursuit of his photographic goals. He concentrates his photography around the Borders Region of Scotland but travels up to the Highlands and Islands around Scotland running workshops in these areas. An award-winning photographer, Ron won the inaugural Scottish Nature Photographer of the Year 2010. His work can be seen in books, magazines and newspapers. He is passionate about Scotland and its amazing wildlife and promotes it in his lectures and illustrated talks all over the UK.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1113 Views]
- Rare footage helps explain what Narwhals use their tusks for [1045 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [1005 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [955 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [808 Views]
- 10 of the Most Endangered Species on Earth [798 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [694 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [669 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump be allowed to destroy the Endangered Species Act [644 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [614 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42098 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12092 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11134 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8670 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8256 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8075 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7443 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [5416 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4675 Views]