I held my first workshop of this breeding season to the Farne Islands on Wednesday. The weather wasn’t perfect but we had a good day getting some good images of the birds. The puffins are now feeding their young, giving good opportunities to get them with sandeels in their beaks. There was some nice groups of guillemots forming along with groups of puffins.
The guillemot group is an interesting one as it has two bridled guillemots as members. The bridled guillemot has a line around its eyes that looks like a pair of spectacles. The normal guillemot doesn’t have the “spectacles”. The instances of bridled guillemots in this country increases the further north you travel. On the Farne Islands the number of bridled guillemots is around for percent of the local population numbers at this latitude.
I am running the Puffin and Seabird Workshops through June and July this year on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for more detail see click on this link.
Here are a few images from the trip this week
Ron McCombe, A professional wildlife photographer, Ron lives in the Scottish Borders. He has travelled around Europe, North America and Canada in pursuit of his photographic goals. He concentrates his photography around the Borders Region of Scotland but travels up to the Highlands and Islands around Scotland running workshops in these areas. An award-winning photographer, Ron won the inaugural Scottish Nature Photographer of the Year 2010. His work can be seen in books, magazines and newspapers. He is passionate about Scotland and its amazing wildlife and promotes it in his lectures and illustrated talks all over the UK.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7266 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3191 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [2945 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting in Kyrgystan be banned? – [1716 Views]
- POLL: Should SeaWorld be closed down? – [1520 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? – [1115 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone’s Iconic Grizzly Bears be Stripped of Federal Protection? – [1013 Views]
- POLL: Should roadside zoos be closed down? – [976 Views]
- Karma? Another Trophy Hunter Has Been Killed by an Elephant [859 Views]
- POLL: Should we prevent our cats from killing birds? – [813 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7976 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2068 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [2028 Views]