I held my first workshop of this breeding season to the Farne Islands on Wednesday. The weather wasn’t perfect but we had a good day getting some good images of the birds. The puffins are now feeding their young, giving good opportunities to get them with sandeels in their beaks. There was some nice groups of guillemots forming along with groups of puffins.
The guillemot group is an interesting one as it has two bridled guillemots as members. The bridled guillemot has a line around its eyes that looks like a pair of spectacles. The normal guillemot doesn’t have the “spectacles”. The instances of bridled guillemots in this country increases the further north you travel. On the Farne Islands the number of bridled guillemots is around for percent of the local population numbers at this latitude.
I am running the Puffin and Seabird Workshops through June and July this year on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays for more detail see click on this link.
Here are a few images from the trip this week
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Ron McCombe, A professional wildlife photographer, Ron lives in the Scottish Borders. He has travelled around Europe, North America and Canada in pursuit of his photographic goals. He concentrates his photography around the Borders Region of Scotland but travels up to the Highlands and Islands around Scotland running workshops in these areas. An award-winning photographer, Ron won the inaugural Scottish Nature Photographer of the Year 2010. His work can be seen in books, magazines and newspapers. He is passionate about Scotland and its amazing wildlife and promotes it in his lectures and illustrated talks all over the UK.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2470 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1798 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1779 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1540 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1277 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1053 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [948 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [841 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral horses be controlled by aerial culling? [727 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16838 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14125 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12669 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11132 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8641 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7428 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5378 Views]