A car in for its MOT/EU test was a good reason to give Fornebu much more attention than it normally gets. Weather wise it was perfect to be out and about but birdwise it was slow going. Spring has made its mark though and there are now quite an array of birds singing. Great and Blue Tits have been “singing” for a while with Yellowhammers, Greenfinches and Blackbirds joining last week.
Today Robins also decided to join in and best of all Skylarks and Starlings which are now back on territory. Four Skylarks were singing in Nansenpark but I wonder if this will be their last year?I had my first summer plumaged Black-headed Gulls of the year (also nice to hear them) and surprisingly three species of wader.
Oystercatchers are now back in force and were flying around displaying but nine Lapwings on a small area of open mud were a surprise and I heard a flyover Ringed Plover. I have no way to prove it but I would bet these Lapwings are the Maridalen and Sørkedalen breeding birds waiting for the snow to melt on their chosen fields.
I had given up on the Beardies after no sight nor sound despite over two hours of trying but an elusive Lesser Spotted Woodpecker kept me in the area and then finally I heard one or two Bearded Tits. So still some hope they will stay and breed but looking less likely now I think.
A Small Tortoishell again today and also a day flying moth – an Orange Underwing which in flight looks confusingly like a Small Tortoiseshell.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Simon Rix is an English Birder who has lived in Oslo, Norway since 2001. Birding has been his passion since primary school and after an education as an economist and career within oil and gas and then drinks industry he turned his attention full time to birds as middle age approached. He is particularly interested in patch birding and migration and is an active guide, blogger and photographer. He is a member of the Norwegian Rarities Committee (NSKF).
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1641 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1621 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1609 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1219 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1152 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [967 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [824 Views]
- POLL: Could U.S. endangered species rules go extinct under Trump? [727 Views]
- Why do birds sing? [634 Views]
- An elk’s-eye view of migrating through Yellowstone [569 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42056 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16800 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13853 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8614 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8116 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8048 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7417 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6115 Views]