The Econ River Wilderness Area is another of my favorite places ot visit in Seminole County. It’s only about 10 minutes from my home, so I can visit there on a whim, which is nice. The wilderness area covers about 240 acres that extends from Old Lockwood Rd to the Econ River just north of UCF. There are approximately 3 miles of trails that will take you from pine flatwoods and and sandhill habitats into hard wood and river swamp environments closer to the river.
The trails are pretty poorly marked, but if you know your east from the west, it’s not much of a problem. The area is very long from east to west and narrow from north to south, so as long as you know you’re heading east, you’re going to make it to the river, and as long as you’re heading west, you’re going to make it to the parking lot. There’s one little pond on the property that is visible from Old Lockwood Rd. There’s a trail that will take you right past the pond on its way to the main trail to the river. You can see the trail map and brochure here. You can also see my field reports for more information.
I usually visit this park to see birds in Pine flatwood and sandhill environments. This is a great area to find Eastern Towhee, Brown-headed Nuthatch, Eastern Bluebird, Northern Bobwhite, Red-bellied Woopecker, White-eyed Vireo, and Great Horned Owl. During the right time of year, this is also one of my favorite places to look/listen for Chuck Will’s Widow and Common Nighthawk, as well as Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Blue-headed Vireo, Eastern Phoebe, and Ruby-crowned Kinglet. This is the only area in Florida where I’ve seen a Hairy Woodpecker.
Of course, other wildlife can be seen here too. White-tailed deer are common, and it’s not unusual to see a Gopher Tortoise. Butterflies are common here as well, and you may even find a blooming Loblolly Bay tree. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Bobcat here, though so far I’ve never actually seen one. Be careful in the grassy areas near the river–I’ve come out of there to find a Lone Star Tick crawling on me a couple times.
There are no significant accommodations or amenities here, not even restrooms. There’s a sign in the parking lot, and you may find a bench or two by the Econ River, but other than that there’s nothing here but trails and wildlife. The pine areas provide little shade, though the hard wood areas near the river offer much more protection from the sun. Especially during the summer months, make sure you bring your own water, protection from the sun, and bug spray.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Scott Simmons, based in Florida, is a lover of nature, landscape, and wildlife photography. Scott became interested in photography in 2001 when he was given his first SLR camera. When he acquired a telephoto lens, he became progressively more interested in birds and other wildlife. Scott enjoys learning about bird habitats and behavior, striving always to take images that are both beautiful and interpretive. Scott believes photography is a great vehicle to help others to appreciate the wonder for the stuff of earth.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3600 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1172 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? [1160 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1115 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1072 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [970 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [945 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [760 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [746 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect red squirrels? [738 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42025 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16753 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13871 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13808 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11112 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [10815 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8596 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8037 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7392 Views]