The October day started a bit misty and there were signs of winter approaching, but there was the promise of some sunshine in the forecast. So it was an early start towards along the Norfolk coast to look at the possibility of getting some shots of fallow deer.
With allegedly more deer in the UK now than in Medieval times, we often see small groups of deer grazing on the farmland, Muntjac by the road side and Chinese water deer in the marshes.
Along the coastal roads it’s not uncommon to come across small groups of Fallow deer outside Holkham’s park fence.
Fallow are the most social of the UK’s deer, what I didn’t realise was that these small groups were all part of a much large herd of about 500 deer that live around the hall alongside a smaller herd of Red deer.
So the challenge was to see if I could get some shots of them as they begin to gather for the their annual rut. It wasn’t difficult to see both species, but I thought that getting close enough to get decent shots might be difficult.
Although not yet in full rutting mode some of the bucks seemed to be gathering and sparring at the edge of a large group of does, who were lying down making the most of the October sunshine and unseasonable warmth.
At first I tried to get some images of the a few very skittish bucks that seemed to be eyeing up the does. The alpha buck was resting in the shade but obviously in charge for the moment.
Despite the growing sounds of antlers crashing together, as more young stags began to join the sparring groups, the main group seemed fairly relaxed about humans getting close to them.
But my guess is that later in the month when the weather turns a bit more autumnal and the bucks begin to challenge the adult male, things might be very different.
After a quick lunch I moved along the coast for a quick visit to Titchwell, RSPB reserve to see if the number of our winter visitors was increasing. Over the past few weeks there had been a growing number of Spotted Redshank, Bar Tailed Godwit, Black Tailed Godwit and wintering Ruff, together with a few Grey Plover and a huge flock of Golden Plover.
The long range forecast for the rest of the month signaled a a succession of cold easterly storms which might hopefully bring in some more overwintering birds.
After spending a career that demanded much of my time and energy. I’m now retired and finally found some time to pursue an interest in wildlife and photography as well as putting together a website C & A’s Wild Images.
I now live in Norfolk, an ideal location in the UK to see wildlife and over the years have also had the opportunity to visit and spend time using the camera in interesting and sometimes remote parts of the world.
I first became interested in trying to capture wildlife images when I left university in the days of slide film. Initially I used two compact cameras with 20+ zooms but now have moved to a professional Canon SLR set-up.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [1184 Views]
- POLL: Should babies be allowed to buy hunting licenses? – [1073 Views]
- POLL: Should big-game and canned, trophy hunting be banned? – [1017 Views]
- POLL: Should wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [899 Views]
- POLL: Should South Africa strictly enforce its anti-poaching legislation? – [819 Views]
- Florida Opened a Fake Alligator Farm to Catch Poachers – [806 Views]
- POLL: Should African Grey Parrots be protected from illegal trafficking? – [804 Views]
- POLL: Should gillnets be banned in the Upper Gulf to save the Vaquita? – [780 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of animals in circuses be banned? – [757 Views]
- POLL: Should international shipping of shark fins be banned? – [756 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7663 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [5832 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3832 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3650 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3065 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]