“After a 360-mile chase, The Sea Shepherd Fleet drove the Japanese whaling fleet’s factory ship, the Nisshin Maru, out of the Antarctic Treaty Zone,” said the group in an emailed statement. “Sea Shepherd has all ships in the Japanese whaling fleet accounted for, and can confirm that the whale poaching fleet is scattered and currently not hunting whales. The harpoon ships are separated by hundreds of miles. The Nisshin Maru is on the run and unable to stop and whale in its self-designated whale-poaching grounds.”
Anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd said its fleet of ships has successfully disrupted the annual Japanese whale hunt in the waters off Antarctica.
The whaling vessels fled their hunting grounds less than a day-and-a-half into the hunting season. Sea Shepherd said the fleet has killed four Minke whales so far.
The activist group says its effort to shut down commercial whaling by the Japanese however is far from over.
“We have won this battle, but the war for the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary will wage on over the coming months,” said Adam Meyerson, Captain of The Sam Simon, one of Sea Shepherd’s three ships.
Sea Shepherd is highly controversial for taking direct action against whalers. Japan says the tactics amount to piracy and put lives at risk, but Sea Shepherd maintains that it is merely enforcing anti-poaching laws. For example, Sea Shepherd says that Japan was whaling inside the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, where commercial whaling is prohibited.
But Japan uses a loophole, designating its whale killing in the zone as “scientific research”. A case on the issue is pending in the International Court of Justice, but in the meantime, Sea Shepherd says it “will do what ever it takes to ensure no more whales have to endure pain and suffering at the hands of these whale butchers from Japan.”
This article was written and published by Mongabay.com
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should buzzards be killed to protect pheasants? [1552 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway’s plan to cull its wolves be abandoned? [1263 Views]
- POLL: Should Namibia’s cape fur seal trade be banned? [910 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [831 Views]
- POLL: Should moose be added to the endangered species list? [810 Views]
- New Zealand kea, the world’s only alpine parrot, faces extinction [655 Views]
- Video: Great White Shark breaks into diver’s cage [649 Views]
- Humanity driving ‘unprecedented’ marine extinction [621 Views]
- China accused of defying its own ban on breeding tigers to profit from body parts [569 Views]
- POLL: Should all countries worldwide ban the trade in elephant ivory? [438 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41884 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16601 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14039 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13403 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11085 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8424 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8281 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8240 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8012 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7279 Views]