“After a 360-mile chase, The Sea Shepherd Fleet drove the Japanese whaling fleet’s factory ship, the Nisshin Maru, out of the Antarctic Treaty Zone,” said the group in an emailed statement. “Sea Shepherd has all ships in the Japanese whaling fleet accounted for, and can confirm that the whale poaching fleet is scattered and currently not hunting whales. The harpoon ships are separated by hundreds of miles. The Nisshin Maru is on the run and unable to stop and whale in its self-designated whale-poaching grounds.”
Anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd said its fleet of ships has successfully disrupted the annual Japanese whale hunt in the waters off Antarctica.
The whaling vessels fled their hunting grounds less than a day-and-a-half into the hunting season. Sea Shepherd said the fleet has killed four Minke whales so far.
The activist group says its effort to shut down commercial whaling by the Japanese however is far from over.
“We have won this battle, but the war for the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary will wage on over the coming months,” said Adam Meyerson, Captain of The Sam Simon, one of Sea Shepherd’s three ships.
Sea Shepherd is highly controversial for taking direct action against whalers. Japan says the tactics amount to piracy and put lives at risk, but Sea Shepherd maintains that it is merely enforcing anti-poaching laws. For example, Sea Shepherd says that Japan was whaling inside the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, where commercial whaling is prohibited.
But Japan uses a loophole, designating its whale killing in the zone as “scientific research”. A case on the issue is pending in the International Court of Justice, but in the meantime, Sea Shepherd says it “will do what ever it takes to ensure no more whales have to endure pain and suffering at the hands of these whale butchers from Japan.”
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [15232 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan’s “research whaling” program be closed down? [1954 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s wild horses be culled? [1559 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1399 Views]
- Rare desert lions of ‘five musketeers’ fame poisoned [1241 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway’s plan to cull its wolves be abandoned? [1227 Views]
- The biologist terrifying the US Forest Service, timber and forest fire-fighting industries [1189 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan’s killing of dolphins and whales be stopped? [953 Views]
- POLL: Should the badger cull in the UK be extended? [899 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [840 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41857 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16572 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15180 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13387 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11071 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [10031 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8401 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8265 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8007 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8001 Views]