“After a 360-mile chase, The Sea Shepherd Fleet drove the Japanese whaling fleet’s factory ship, the Nisshin Maru, out of the Antarctic Treaty Zone,” said the group in an emailed statement. “Sea Shepherd has all ships in the Japanese whaling fleet accounted for, and can confirm that the whale poaching fleet is scattered and currently not hunting whales. The harpoon ships are separated by hundreds of miles. The Nisshin Maru is on the run and unable to stop and whale in its self-designated whale-poaching grounds.”
Anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd said its fleet of ships has successfully disrupted the annual Japanese whale hunt in the waters off Antarctica.
The whaling vessels fled their hunting grounds less than a day-and-a-half into the hunting season. Sea Shepherd said the fleet has killed four Minke whales so far.
The activist group says its effort to shut down commercial whaling by the Japanese however is far from over.
“We have won this battle, but the war for the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary will wage on over the coming months,” said Adam Meyerson, Captain of The Sam Simon, one of Sea Shepherd’s three ships.
Sea Shepherd is highly controversial for taking direct action against whalers. Japan says the tactics amount to piracy and put lives at risk, but Sea Shepherd maintains that it is merely enforcing anti-poaching laws. For example, Sea Shepherd says that Japan was whaling inside the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, where commercial whaling is prohibited.
But Japan uses a loophole, designating its whale killing in the zone as “scientific research”. A case on the issue is pending in the International Court of Justice, but in the meantime, Sea Shepherd says it “will do what ever it takes to ensure no more whales have to endure pain and suffering at the hands of these whale butchers from Japan.”
This article was written and published by Mongabay.com
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41417 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [8840 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [6910 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4351 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4325 Views]
- POLL: Should animals be kept in zoos and circuses? [2850 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [2507 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of animals by Wildlife Services be stopped? [2126 Views]
- POLL: Should the UK halt its failed badger cull policy? [2088 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1507 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41419 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15267 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? [14355 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12403 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [9971 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [7667 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [6900 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? [6805 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6136 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [6107 Views]