There weren’t many birds present at the San Rafael Swell Recreation Site in central Utah this past week, the San Rafael River seemed lower than I have seen it and there was evidence of drought conditions, mainly in the vegetation there.
The greasewoods looked yellow instead of the vibrant green I remember from the past two years, plants that are normally flowering weren’t and many of those plants appeared stunted.
It wasn’t a complete wash though because I did come back with some juvenile Common Raven (Corvus corax) images that I like.
There was a family of ravens making a racket in and near the campsite which was right next to the two bridges over the San Rafael River, at one point I counted at least six birds, there may have been more.
The Swinging Bridge is no longer used for vehicle traffic but it is safe for foot traffic. It was built in 1938 and was the only bridge at the site until the early 1990′s.
One of the juvenile Ravens perched on a fence near the Swinging Bridge, the light was challenging because it was filtered through the leaves of old Cottonwood trees creating dappled light on the fence and bird while the background of greasewood and Navajo sandstone was in full sun. Surprisingly I did not need to use any exposure compensation with this image or the following one to get nice detail in the dark plumage without blowing out the background.
This bird is easily identifiable as a juvenile Common Raven because of the short tail, the pink on the gape and the violet-blue eyes. I have images of Black-billed Magpie juveniles; also Corvids, with similarly colored eyes here. I’m not sure if other Corvid juveniles exhibit the same trait.
Mia McPherson, OntheWingPhotography.com
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » [2554 Views]
- If You Care About Birds, Watch This 4-Minute Video » [1182 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [1123 Views]
- » [1105 Views]
- » [1096 Views]
- » [952 Views]
- 6 Reasons You Should Be Drinking “Bird-Friendly” Coffee » [895 Views]
- » [823 Views]
- » [791 Views]
- » [731 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [32422 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [25947 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11405 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [9685 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [6709 Views]
- POLL: Should the trial cull of badgers go ahead? » [4362 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4339 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4270 Views]
- Cyclist Has Amazing Encounter with a Mountain Lion in Los Angeles » [3849 Views]
- Egypt is the Worst Place to Be a Migratory Bird – Shocking Video » [3591 Views]