There weren’t many birds present at the San Rafael Swell Recreation Site in central Utah this past week, the San Rafael River seemed lower than I have seen it and there was evidence of drought conditions, mainly in the vegetation there.
The greasewoods looked yellow instead of the vibrant green I remember from the past two years, plants that are normally flowering weren’t and many of those plants appeared stunted.
It wasn’t a complete wash though because I did come back with some juvenile Common Raven (Corvus corax) images that I like.
There was a family of ravens making a racket in and near the campsite which was right next to the two bridges over the San Rafael River, at one point I counted at least six birds, there may have been more.
The Swinging Bridge is no longer used for vehicle traffic but it is safe for foot traffic. It was built in 1938 and was the only bridge at the site until the early 1990′s.
One of the juvenile Ravens perched on a fence near the Swinging Bridge, the light was challenging because it was filtered through the leaves of old Cottonwood trees creating dappled light on the fence and bird while the background of greasewood and Navajo sandstone was in full sun. Surprisingly I did not need to use any exposure compensation with this image or the following one to get nice detail in the dark plumage without blowing out the background.
This bird is easily identifiable as a juvenile Common Raven because of the short tail, the pink on the gape and the violet-blue eyes. I have images of Black-billed Magpie juveniles; also Corvids, with similarly colored eyes here. I’m not sure if other Corvid juveniles exhibit the same trait.
Mia McPherson, OntheWingPhotography.com
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [632 Views]
- Video: Mountain Lions Caught on Camera in San Francisco Bay Area » [568 Views]
- Video: Drone Captures Amazing Humpback Whale Feeding Event on Camera » [535 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [425 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [422 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [377 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [370 Views]
- Video: What’s the Difference Between Rabbits and Hares? » [355 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [345 Views]
- How Killer Fungus Burns Up Bats From the Inside » [329 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10696 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7989 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4732 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4510 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4034 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3377 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3081 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2936 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2898 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2781 Views]