There weren’t many birds present at the San Rafael Swell Recreation Site in central Utah this past week, the San Rafael River seemed lower than I have seen it and there was evidence of drought conditions, mainly in the vegetation there.
The greasewoods looked yellow instead of the vibrant green I remember from the past two years, plants that are normally flowering weren’t and many of those plants appeared stunted.
It wasn’t a complete wash though because I did come back with some juvenile Common Raven (Corvus corax) images that I like.
There was a family of ravens making a racket in and near the campsite which was right next to the two bridges over the San Rafael River, at one point I counted at least six birds, there may have been more.
The Swinging Bridge is no longer used for vehicle traffic but it is safe for foot traffic. It was built in 1938 and was the only bridge at the site until the early 1990′s.
One of the juvenile Ravens perched on a fence near the Swinging Bridge, the light was challenging because it was filtered through the leaves of old Cottonwood trees creating dappled light on the fence and bird while the background of greasewood and Navajo sandstone was in full sun. Surprisingly I did not need to use any exposure compensation with this image or the following one to get nice detail in the dark plumage without blowing out the background.
This bird is easily identifiable as a juvenile Common Raven because of the short tail, the pink on the gape and the violet-blue eyes. I have images of Black-billed Magpie juveniles; also Corvids, with similarly colored eyes here. I’m not sure if other Corvid juveniles exhibit the same trait.
Mia McPherson, OntheWingPhotography.com
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [2848 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [1883 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [1422 Views]
- POLL: Should Grey Squirrels be Culled in the UK? » [1338 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [934 Views]
- Watch: How Did a Young Elephant Drive Off 14 Lions? » [691 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts » [541 Views]
- POLL: Should the Canadian Government bring an end to the annual seal slaughter? Shocking Video! » [494 Views]
- Ornithologists Map Family Tree of Mysterious Cotinga Birds » [486 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [448 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7962 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7401 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5656 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4710 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4622 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3976 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3198 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2976 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2905 Views]