There weren’t many birds present at the San Rafael Swell Recreation Site in central Utah this past week, the San Rafael River seemed lower than I have seen it and there was evidence of drought conditions, mainly in the vegetation there.
The greasewoods looked yellow instead of the vibrant green I remember from the past two years, plants that are normally flowering weren’t and many of those plants appeared stunted.
It wasn’t a complete wash though because I did come back with some juvenile Common Raven (Corvus corax) images that I like.
There was a family of ravens making a racket in and near the campsite which was right next to the two bridges over the San Rafael River, at one point I counted at least six birds, there may have been more.
The Swinging Bridge is no longer used for vehicle traffic but it is safe for foot traffic. It was built in 1938 and was the only bridge at the site until the early 1990′s.
One of the juvenile Ravens perched on a fence near the Swinging Bridge, the light was challenging because it was filtered through the leaves of old Cottonwood trees creating dappled light on the fence and bird while the background of greasewood and Navajo sandstone was in full sun. Surprisingly I did not need to use any exposure compensation with this image or the following one to get nice detail in the dark plumage without blowing out the background.
This bird is easily identifiable as a juvenile Common Raven because of the short tail, the pink on the gape and the violet-blue eyes. I have images of Black-billed Magpie juveniles; also Corvids, with similarly colored eyes here. I’m not sure if other Corvid juveniles exhibit the same trait.
Mia McPherson, OntheWingPhotography.com
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2665 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [539 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [505 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [500 Views]
- Video: Incredible footage shows leopard attacking two male antelope while they fight » [456 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [451 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [419 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [386 Views]
- New Pictures of Hollywood Cougar Show Sleeker, Healthier Cat » [375 Views]
- Listen to New Bird Species Discovered in Brazil: Cryptic Treehunter » [369 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7969 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7406 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5657 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4901 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4698 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4006 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3187 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3182 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2925 Views]