Birds (class Aves) are traditionally thought of as a well-studied group, with more than 95% of their global species diversity estimated to have been described.
Most checklists used by ornithologists as well as by bird watchers say that there are roughly between 9,000 and 10,000 species of birds.
But those numbers are based on what’s known as the ‘biological species concept,’ which defines species in terms of what animals can breed together.
“It’s really an outdated point of view, and it’s a concept that is hardly used in taxonomy outside of birds,” said study lead author Dr. George Barrowclough, an associate curator in the Department of Ornithology at the American Museum of Natural History.
Dr. Barrowclough and co-authors examined a random sample of 200 bird species through the lens of morphology — the study of the physical characteristics like plumage pattern and color, which can be used to highlight birds with separate evolutionary histories.
This method turned up, on average, nearly two different species for each of the 200 birds studied.
This suggests that bird biodiversity is severely underestimated, and is likely closer to 18,000 species worldwide.
The team also surveyed existing genetic studies of birds, which revealed that there could be upwards of 20,000 species.
“We show that avian evolutionary diversity is significantly underestimated due to a taxonomic tradition not found in most other taxonomic groups,” the researchers explained.
“Using a sample of 200 species taken from a list of 9,159 biological species determined primarily by morphological criteria, we applied a diagnostic, evolutionary species concept to a morphological and distributional data set that resulted in an estimate of 18,043 species of birds worldwide, with a 95% confidence interval of 15,845 to 20,470.”
“In a second, independent analysis, we examined intraspecific genetic data from 437 traditional avian species, finding an average of 2.4 evolutionary units per species, which can be considered proxies for phylogenetic species.”
But because the birds in the study were not selected randomly — and, in fact, many were likely chosen because they were already thought to have interesting genetic variation — this could be an overestimate.
“Future taxonomy efforts in ornithology should be based on both methods,” the authors noted.
“It was not our intent to propose new names for each of the more than 600 new species we identified in the research sample,” said co-author Dr. Joel Cracraft, a curator in the American Museum of Natural History’s Department of Ornithology.
“However, our study provides a glimpse of what a future taxonomy should encompass.”
G.F. Barrowclough et al. 2016. How Many Kinds of Birds Are There and Why Does It Matter? PLoS ONE 11 (11): e0166307; doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0166307
This article was first published by Sci-News.com on 29 Dec 2016.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3674 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1209 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1204 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1093 Views]
- POLL: Is big game hunting important for African economies? [1062 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [973 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [966 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [786 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [776 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect red squirrels? [757 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42031 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16755 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13871 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13820 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11114 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [11079 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8602 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8039 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7392 Views]