Birds (class Aves) are traditionally thought of as a well-studied group, with more than 95% of their global species diversity estimated to have been described.
Most checklists used by ornithologists as well as by bird watchers say that there are roughly between 9,000 and 10,000 species of birds.
But those numbers are based on what’s known as the ‘biological species concept,’ which defines species in terms of what animals can breed together.
“It’s really an outdated point of view, and it’s a concept that is hardly used in taxonomy outside of birds,” said study lead author Dr. George Barrowclough, an associate curator in the Department of Ornithology at the American Museum of Natural History.
Dr. Barrowclough and co-authors examined a random sample of 200 bird species through the lens of morphology — the study of the physical characteristics like plumage pattern and color, which can be used to highlight birds with separate evolutionary histories.
This method turned up, on average, nearly two different species for each of the 200 birds studied.
This suggests that bird biodiversity is severely underestimated, and is likely closer to 18,000 species worldwide.
The team also surveyed existing genetic studies of birds, which revealed that there could be upwards of 20,000 species.
“We show that avian evolutionary diversity is significantly underestimated due to a taxonomic tradition not found in most other taxonomic groups,” the researchers explained.
“Using a sample of 200 species taken from a list of 9,159 biological species determined primarily by morphological criteria, we applied a diagnostic, evolutionary species concept to a morphological and distributional data set that resulted in an estimate of 18,043 species of birds worldwide, with a 95% confidence interval of 15,845 to 20,470.”
“In a second, independent analysis, we examined intraspecific genetic data from 437 traditional avian species, finding an average of 2.4 evolutionary units per species, which can be considered proxies for phylogenetic species.”
But because the birds in the study were not selected randomly — and, in fact, many were likely chosen because they were already thought to have interesting genetic variation — this could be an overestimate.
“Future taxonomy efforts in ornithology should be based on both methods,” the authors noted.
“It was not our intent to propose new names for each of the more than 600 new species we identified in the research sample,” said co-author Dr. Joel Cracraft, a curator in the American Museum of Natural History’s Department of Ornithology.
“However, our study provides a glimpse of what a future taxonomy should encompass.”
G.F. Barrowclough et al. 2016. How Many Kinds of Birds Are There and Why Does It Matter? PLoS ONE 11 (11): e0166307; doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0166307
This article was first published by Sci-News.com on 29 Dec 2016.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7348 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3204 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [2964 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting in Kyrgystan be banned? – [1728 Views]
- POLL: Should SeaWorld be closed down? – [1522 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? – [1125 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone’s Iconic Grizzly Bears be Stripped of Federal Protection? – [1023 Views]
- POLL: Should roadside zoos be closed down? – [978 Views]
- POLL: Should trail (fox) hunting on National Trust land be stopped? – [822 Views]
- POLL: Should we prevent our cats from killing birds? – [815 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7819 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2068 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [2028 Views]