The weather forecast was predicting rain for most of the day but with yesterdays reports of Pallid Harrier in New Holkham I was compelled to take the old fella up the A11 in search of his first Pallid Harrier and the bird he had made his main target for 2017.
We arrived at first light and drove down to the parked cars at Blunt’s Corner just off the B1105. Several birders were already set up and one had seen the Harrier but it was now lost to view but within a few minutes I spotted the bird coming over the fields before it dropped to the ground and wrestled with a catch.
Over the next couple of hours the bird would fly over the fields and disappear to our right before coming back into view in front of us. Three Red Kites and three Merlin were also seen with both species interacting with the Harrier at some point.
We moved on to search Holkham Bay for the wintering Shore Larks finding seven birds feeding not far from the end of the boardwalk and we also picked up a year tick when two Cranes circled over the pines before drifting off to the west,
At Brancaster we picked a few Bar-tailed Godwits out and the drying barns gave up a couple of Grey Partridge for another late year tick. On the way home we stopped at Cockley Cley finding fire point 109 and walking down the track where we found the wintering Great-Grey Shrike along with a Lesser Redpoll to bring the year list to 161.
The Shrike Followed us all the way back to the main road before turning and working its way back into the woods.
A really terrific days birding picking up some good birds along the way and making the best of the days weather.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Essex Birder using the blog as a diary of my trips around the country chasing birds. Enjoying the places it takes me and the people I meet along the way. Great to spend time with my Dad and brother as we chase our year lists and grow our life list in the process.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1118 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [1007 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [958 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [813 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [699 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [622 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [615 Views]
- Heroic Boat Captain Rescues Entangled Great White Shark [601 Views]
- Live donkey fed to tigers in shareholder protest at Chinese zoo [585 Views]
- POLL: Should the keeping of dangerous wild animals as pets be banned? [574 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42098 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [11975 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11134 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8671 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8246 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7443 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4679 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4657 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4603 Views]