Red Crowned, Cyanoramphus novaezelandai
Audio Clip is a group of parakeet “socialisingAudio Clip is a group of parakeet “socialising”
We have two species of parakeet on Stewart Island. Red Crowned and the slightly smaller Yellow Crowned. And in fact neither Iris nor I can ever remember seeing Yellow Crowned anywhere other than Ulva Island, where they are very much in the minority. I have no idea why this should be, Ulva Island is only from half to a mile or so from the main Island and additionally is within Paterson Inlet.
Parakeets have been one of many bird species to have enjoyed much enhanced breeding success since the rate eradication program on Ulva Island in the ’90s, and subsequently the Red Crowned are much more evident around the Village on mainland Stewart Island. A spill over from the Ulva success, but why this has not happened within the Yellow Crowned population is a mystery. The books tell me that Yellow Crowned favour mixed podocarp heavy forest …. which is exactly what Stewart & Ulva Islands are…. while the Red Crowned is more at home in lighter forest and scrub lands. As I said, a puzzle.
Both species are cavity nesters, and generally reasonably low to the ground. They appear to be quite omniverous, taking insects from tree trunks and the forest floor, tender shoots, fruit and I have seen Red Crowned grazing the Kamahi racimes much like lawn-mowers.
When I first started work on Ulva Island I never saw parakeet on the forest floor, now, with the removal of competing rats from Ulva many of our sightings are of birds busily scratching like domestic hens on the paths and amongst the forest litter.
Though generally seen as single birds or as pairs, we do occasionall find large noisy groups socialising and although predominantly Red Crowned, who are of course the more numerous, the groups will often have a lone Yellow Crowned as part of the mix. They will apparently cross mate, although what the progeny look like I have no idea.
As can be seen their beak is more budgie-like than parrot. But it is extremly strong and sharp. We had a PHD student living here working on Tui, catching them in a mist net. Her partner assisted her on Ulva, and a by-catch was several Parakeet. He didn’t have gloves… a serious oversight… and his fingers and hand literally had lumps out of them. As if he had been attacked by a maniacal ticket snapper.
[flowplayer src=’http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Untitled.mp4′ width=640 height=480 splashend=show splash=’http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_2216-2.jpg’ autoplay=false]
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2532 Views]
- Video: Incredible footage shows leopard attacking two male antelope while they fight » [550 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [507 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [502 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [452 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [420 Views]
- New Pictures of Hollywood Cougar Show Sleeker, Healthier Cat » [388 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [388 Views]
- Listen to New Bird Species Discovered in Brazil: Cryptic Treehunter » [372 Views]
- Video: Humpback Whales Cause Quite the Surprise As They Hunt for Herring » [363 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7971 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7407 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5661 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4913 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4700 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4010 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3186 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2977 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2930 Views]