Red Crowned, Cyanoramphus novaezelandai
Yellow Crowned, Cyanoramphus auriceps
Audio Clip is a group of parakeet “socialising
Audio Clip is a group of parakeet “socialising”
We have two species of parakeet on Stewart Island. Red Crowned and the slightly smaller Yellow Crowned. And in fact neither Iris nor I can ever remember seeing Yellow Crowned anywhere other than Ulva Island, where they are very much in the minority. I have no idea why this should be, Ulva Island is only from half to a mile or so from the main Island and additionally is within Paterson Inlet.
Parakeets have been one of many bird species to have enjoyed much enhanced breeding success since the rate eradication program on Ulva Island in the ’90s, and subsequently the Red Crowned are much more evident around the Village on mainland Stewart Island. A spill over from the Ulva success, but why this has not happened within the Yellow Crowned population is a mystery. The books tell me that Yellow Crowned favour mixed podocarp heavy forest …. which is exactly what Stewart & Ulva Islands are…. while the Red Crowned is more at home in lighter forest and scrub lands. As I said, a puzzle.
Both species are cavity nesters, and generally reasonably low to the ground. They appear to be quite omniverous, taking insects from tree trunks and the forest floor, tender shoots, fruit and I have seen Red Crowned grazing the Kamahi racimes much like lawn-mowers.
When I first started work on Ulva Island I never saw parakeet on the forest floor, now, with the removal of competing rats from Ulva many of our sightings are of birds busily scratching like domestic hens on the paths and amongst the forest litter.
Though generally seen as single birds or as pairs, we do occasionall find large noisy groups socialising and although predominantly Red Crowned, who are of course the more numerous, the groups will often have a lone Yellow Crowned as part of the mix. They will apparently cross mate, although what the progeny look like I have no idea.
As can be seen their beak is more budgie-like than parrot. But it is extremly strong and sharp. We had a PHD student living here working on Tui, catching them in a mist net. Her partner assisted her on Ulva, and a by-catch was several Parakeet. He didn’t have gloves… a serious oversight… and his fingers and hand literally had lumps out of them. As if he had been attacked by a maniacal ticket snapper.
[flowplayer src='http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Untitled.mp4' width=640 height=480 splashend=show splash='http://focusingonwildlife.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/IMG_2216-2.jpg' autoplay=false]
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [2846 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [1819 Views]
- POLL: Should Grey Squirrels be Culled in the UK? » [1334 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [956 Views]
- Watch: How Did a Young Elephant Drive Off 14 Lions? » [679 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [531 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts » [530 Views]
- POLL: Should the Canadian Government bring an end to the annual seal slaughter? Shocking Video! » [497 Views]
- Ornithologists Map Family Tree of Mysterious Cotinga Birds » [485 Views]
- The inconvenient solution to the rhino poaching crisis » [413 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7961 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7401 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5656 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4693 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4612 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3967 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3192 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2909 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2902 Views]