Nicole and I went ringing again at Alba Marsh on Friday morning. A very early start from Saudi Arabia to get across the causeway and to the Alba Marsh site in Bahrain by first light was undertaken and after setting the nets it became apparent there were a few ore birds about than the previous week.
As it turned out we caught a few more birds also, but almost all of them were Clamorous Reed Warblers with four re-traps from 2011 or 2012 amongst them all from the same site. I like Clamorous Reed Warblers more than almost any bird we catch and it was good to catch so many in a single session with the final total being nine birds.
We also caught a single Graceful Prinia, one Red-Backed Shrike (which was a new ringing species for me) and the first returning Common Chiffchaff of the year. A few birds were seen but not caught including two Purple Herons, two Eastern Marsh Harriers and lots of waders mainly Little Stint, Common Greenshank and Common Redshank.
We met a local hunter who had killed a Eurasian Teal and had a beautiful juvenile Gyr Falcon in his car which he said he was training to hunt. We also met Howard King, a birder from Bahrain who has lived and bird-watched the country for 28 years along with John Watson a visiting birder who may come ringing with us in early November as a helper. It will be great if John can come and help as we are a very small team at the moment and would welcome some support.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [2848 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [1831 Views]
- POLL: Should Grey Squirrels be Culled in the UK? » [1336 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [949 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [887 Views]
- Watch: How Did a Young Elephant Drive Off 14 Lions? » [682 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts » [530 Views]
- POLL: Should the Canadian Government bring an end to the annual seal slaughter? Shocking Video! » [492 Views]
- Ornithologists Map Family Tree of Mysterious Cotinga Birds » [485 Views]
- The inconvenient solution to the rhino poaching crisis » [413 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7961 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7401 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5656 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4701 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4613 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3972 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3192 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2924 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2902 Views]