Nicole and I went ringing again at Alba Marsh on Friday morning. A very early start from Saudi Arabia to get across the causeway and to the Alba Marsh site in Bahrain by first light was undertaken and after setting the nets it became apparent there were a few ore birds about than the previous week.
As it turned out we caught a few more birds also, but almost all of them were Clamorous Reed Warblers with four re-traps from 2011 or 2012 amongst them all from the same site. I like Clamorous Reed Warblers more than almost any bird we catch and it was good to catch so many in a single session with the final total being nine birds.
We also caught a single Graceful Prinia, one Red-Backed Shrike (which was a new ringing species for me) and the first returning Common Chiffchaff of the year. A few birds were seen but not caught including two Purple Herons, two Eastern Marsh Harriers and lots of waders mainly Little Stint, Common Greenshank and Common Redshank.
We met a local hunter who had killed a Eurasian Teal and had a beautiful juvenile Gyr Falcon in his car which he said he was training to hunt. We also met Howard King, a birder from Bahrain who has lived and bird-watched the country for 28 years along with John Watson a visiting birder who may come ringing with us in early November as a helper. It will be great if John can come and help as we are a very small team at the moment and would welcome some support.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [713 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [433 Views]
- Poll: Should wolves be slaughtered to save caribou? » [424 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [423 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [382 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [373 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [372 Views]
- Video: Gamekeeper jailed in Scotland for killing bird of prey » [357 Views]
- How Killer Fungus Burns Up Bats From the Inside » [338 Views]
- Video: Mountain Lions Caught on Camera in San Francisco Bay Area » [323 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10695 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7993 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4717 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4492 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4026 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3405 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3085 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2936 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2912 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2802 Views]