Nicole and I went ringing again at Alba Marsh on Friday morning. A very early start from Saudi Arabia to get across the causeway and to the Alba Marsh site in Bahrain by first light was undertaken and after setting the nets it became apparent there were a few ore birds about than the previous week.
As it turned out we caught a few more birds also, but almost all of them were Clamorous Reed Warblers with four re-traps from 2011 or 2012 amongst them all from the same site. I like Clamorous Reed Warblers more than almost any bird we catch and it was good to catch so many in a single session with the final total being nine birds.
We also caught a single Graceful Prinia, one Red-Backed Shrike (which was a new ringing species for me) and the first returning Common Chiffchaff of the year. A few birds were seen but not caught including two Purple Herons, two Eastern Marsh Harriers and lots of waders mainly Little Stint, Common Greenshank and Common Redshank.
We met a local hunter who had killed a Eurasian Teal and had a beautiful juvenile Gyr Falcon in his car which he said he was training to hunt. We also met Howard King, a birder from Bahrain who has lived and bird-watched the country for 28 years along with John Watson a visiting birder who may come ringing with us in early November as a helper. It will be great if John can come and help as we are a very small team at the moment and would welcome some support.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [8502 Views]
- Tiger family photo surprises scientists » [1006 Views]
- POLL: Should the kill quota on cougars be increased in New Mexico? » [803 Views]
- Poll: Do you agree that shooting pheasants is good for the countryside? » [792 Views]
- Poll: Should UK towns and cities be allowed to clip seagulls’ wings? » [719 Views]
- Extreme birdwatching: Twitching in war zones » [668 Views]
- POLL: Should spring hunting on Malta be stopped? » [492 Views]
- Rembrandt’s monkey: good news for Africa’s newest primate » [481 Views]
- Newly discovered Brazilian bird may number fewer than 10 individuals » [383 Views]
- Thousands of geese fall from Idaho sky in likely avian cholera outbreak » [372 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11112 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10678 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4142 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3679 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3667 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3443 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [2976 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2941 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2876 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2683 Views]