Nicole and I went ringing again at Alba Marsh on Friday morning. A very early start from Saudi Arabia to get across the causeway and to the Alba Marsh site in Bahrain by first light was undertaken and after setting the nets it became apparent there were a few ore birds about than the previous week.
As it turned out we caught a few more birds also, but almost all of them were Clamorous Reed Warblers with four re-traps from 2011 or 2012 amongst them all from the same site. I like Clamorous Reed Warblers more than almost any bird we catch and it was good to catch so many in a single session with the final total being nine birds.
We also caught a single Graceful Prinia, one Red-Backed Shrike (which was a new ringing species for me) and the first returning Common Chiffchaff of the year. A few birds were seen but not caught including two Purple Herons, two Eastern Marsh Harriers and lots of waders mainly Little Stint, Common Greenshank and Common Redshank.
We met a local hunter who had killed a Eurasian Teal and had a beautiful juvenile Gyr Falcon in his car which he said he was training to hunt. We also met Howard King, a birder from Bahrain who has lived and bird-watched the country for 28 years along with John Watson a visiting birder who may come ringing with us in early November as a helper. It will be great if John can come and help as we are a very small team at the moment and would welcome some support.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6132 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1352 Views]
- Poll: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [1297 Views]
- Angry hippo flings newborn calf into the air » [1155 Views]
- Recently rediscovered hummingbird faces extinction » [1071 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [834 Views]
- Thought-to-be-extinct ‘halloween’ frog rediscovered in Costa Rica » [724 Views]
- The triumph of the bison: Europe’s biggest animal bounces back a century after vanishing » [678 Views]
- Butterfly wings inspire cosmetics and bomb detectors » [637 Views]
- Police probe ship’s crew after nabbing smuggler with 24 rare birds in plastic bottles » [598 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11806 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10679 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6362 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4007 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3792 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3737 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3587 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [3002 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2962 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2701 Views]