Nicole and I went ringing again at Alba Marsh on Friday morning. A very early start from Saudi Arabia to get across the causeway and to the Alba Marsh site in Bahrain by first light was undertaken and after setting the nets it became apparent there were a few ore birds about than the previous week.
As it turned out we caught a few more birds also, but almost all of them were Clamorous Reed Warblers with four re-traps from 2011 or 2012 amongst them all from the same site. I like Clamorous Reed Warblers more than almost any bird we catch and it was good to catch so many in a single session with the final total being nine birds.
We also caught a single Graceful Prinia, one Red-Backed Shrike (which was a new ringing species for me) and the first returning Common Chiffchaff of the year. A few birds were seen but not caught including two Purple Herons, two Eastern Marsh Harriers and lots of waders mainly Little Stint, Common Greenshank and Common Redshank.
We met a local hunter who had killed a Eurasian Teal and had a beautiful juvenile Gyr Falcon in his car which he said he was training to hunt. We also met Howard King, a birder from Bahrain who has lived and bird-watched the country for 28 years along with John Watson a visiting birder who may come ringing with us in early November as a helper. It will be great if John can come and help as we are a very small team at the moment and would welcome some support.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [8134 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [2157 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [725 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [688 Views]
- Iceland’s Seabird Colonies Are Vanishing, With “Massive” Chick Deaths » [571 Views]
- Barn owls ‘threatened’ by new legislation » [438 Views]
- The 1,300 Bird Species Facing Extinction Signal Threats to Human Health » [433 Views]
- » POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? [430 Views]
- POLL: Should the Monk Parakeet be eradicated in the UK? » [407 Views]
- Russia Stops Japanese Whaling Ship Dead In Its Tracks » [404 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12373 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [8581 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7994 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7938 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7272 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5645 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [5253 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4738 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4695 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4259 Views]