Nicole and I went ringing again at Alba Marsh on Friday morning. A very early start from Saudi Arabia to get across the causeway and to the Alba Marsh site in Bahrain by first light was undertaken and after setting the nets it became apparent there were a few ore birds about than the previous week.
As it turned out we caught a few more birds also, but almost all of them were Clamorous Reed Warblers with four re-traps from 2011 or 2012 amongst them all from the same site. I like Clamorous Reed Warblers more than almost any bird we catch and it was good to catch so many in a single session with the final total being nine birds.
We also caught a single Graceful Prinia, one Red-Backed Shrike (which was a new ringing species for me) and the first returning Common Chiffchaff of the year. A few birds were seen but not caught including two Purple Herons, two Eastern Marsh Harriers and lots of waders mainly Little Stint, Common Greenshank and Common Redshank.
We met a local hunter who had killed a Eurasian Teal and had a beautiful juvenile Gyr Falcon in his car which he said he was training to hunt. We also met Howard King, a birder from Bahrain who has lived and bird-watched the country for 28 years along with John Watson a visiting birder who may come ringing with us in early November as a helper. It will be great if John can come and help as we are a very small team at the moment and would welcome some support.
Leave a Comment
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Israel leads the way using Barn Owls and Kestrels to replace Rodenticides » [1604 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [766 Views]
- Drone Captures Stunning Birds’-eye Video of Dolphin Superpod » [716 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [633 Views]
- How a River Otter Can Bag an Alligator for Lunch » [610 Views]
- POLL: Should the US ban the import and export of tiger bone wine? » [603 Views]
- HELP migrating birds WIN the “Race for Conservation” today » [462 Views]
- New York Backtracks on Plans to Eradicate Mute Swans » [428 Views]
- Feathers fly in Norwegian wild bird reality-TV show » [413 Views]
- Finnish reindeer sprayed with glow-in-the-dark liquid to prevent accidents » [408 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33558 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [27233 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11838 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [11330 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7891 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7646 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6973 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5226 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5141 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4862 Views]