Australia has thrown its weight behind a bid to outlaw large-scale commercial and so-called “scientific” whaling at a summit next week.
The International Whaling Commission meeting in Slovenia follows Japan’s recent slaughter of more than 300 minke whales, many of them pregnant, when they resumed so-called scientific whaling after a hiatus because the International Court of Justice ruled the hunts were not scientific and should cease.
Australia has put forward a resolution to the conference that would require Japan to get approval from the IWC for its “scientific” quotas.
Japan is also expected to again face criticism from other countries for its whaling in the Southern Ocean, in defiance of the court ruling.
On Friday the federal environment minister, Josh Frydenberg, said he would call for global protection of whales, saying the government “strongly supports the global moratorium and will continue to work towards a permanent end to all forms of commercial and so-called ‘scientific’ whaling”.
“For too long, the commission has deferred responsibility for so-called ‘scientific’ whaling to its scientific committee,” Frydenberg said. “The commission must be more engaged on this important and divisive issue and form its own conclusions.”
This year marks the 30th anniversary of the global moratorium on commercial whaling and 70 years since the International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling was made.
In 2008 the Australian federal court found Japanese whaling in the Australian Whale Sanctuary to be in breach of Australian law and Japanese whaling company Kyodo was fined $1m in 2015. Attempts to recover the money have so far failed.
Kitty Block, the vice-president of the Humane Society International, which was part of the Australian legal action, said: “Japan’s unilateral resumption of its so-called ‘scientific’ hunt in the Southern Ocean last year is a slap in the face not just for the International Whaling Commission but also for the rule of law, as the international court of justice clearly ruled Japan’s previous Antarctic ‘research’ program to be illegal.”
Humane Society International program manager Alexia Wellbelove said: “With both the international courts and Australia’s federal court condemning Japan’s actions, it is time the international community at IWC strongly criticise Japan for its so-called ‘scientific’ whaling program.”
This article was first published by The Guardian on 21 Oct 2016.
We invite you to share your opinion whether Japan should face sanctions for continuing “scientific whaling”? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3494 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? – [2017 Views]
- POLL: Should Nevada’s wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [1806 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of young elephants to Chinese zoos be banned? – [1497 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a total ban on trade in rhino horn? – [1266 Views]
- POLL: Should trail (fox) hunting on National Trust land be stopped? – [1173 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on the shark fin trade? – [1014 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grand Canyon Bison be culled? – [940 Views]
- Radioactive Boar Wreak Havoc on Swedish Landscape – [876 Views]
- POLL: Would you support the reintroduction of the wolf in the UK? – [832 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7632 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7121 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3696 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3038 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]