NORTHERN MICHIGAN (WPBN/WGTU) – The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is hoping to increase the amount of bear hunting licenses this year.
Last week, the DNR made the recommendation to increase the quota by 160 licenses throughout the state due to an increase in the black bear population.
The DNR believes there is about 12,000 black bears in Michigan and about 1,500 are harvested each year.
Because the population is increasing, the DNR says they’ve received more nuisances complaints and want to control that.
” We want a health population of bear, we want to keep that natural fear bears have of humans and we have some areas of the state where our bear numbers are affecting our residents, and we don’t want bear to be a nuisance,” said DNR Wildlife Technician Katie Keen.
Keen says they’ve been seeing the most complaints about bears in the northern Lower Peninsula.
The Natural Resource Department is expected to make a decision within the next month.
You can apply for a bear hunting licenses starting May 1.
Read the full recommendation: 339352676-Bear-Regulations
This article was first published by UpNorthLive.com on 15 Feb 2017.
We invite you to share your opinion whether more bear hunting licenses should be issued? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Thank you for voting.
Editorial Comment: The purpose of this poll is to highlight important wildlife conservation issues and to encourage discussion on ways to stop wildlife crime. By leaving a comment and sharing this post you can help to raise awareness. Thank you for your support.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3471 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? – [2008 Views]
- POLL: Should Nevada’s wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [1791 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of young elephants to Chinese zoos be banned? – [1485 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grand Canyon Bison be culled? – [1316 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a total ban on trade in rhino horn? – [1258 Views]
- POLL: Should trail (fox) hunting on National Trust land be stopped? – [1167 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on the shark fin trade? – [1007 Views]
- 5 Cruel Animal Traditions That Make No Sense Today – [734 Views]
- POLL: Should outdoor cats be prevented from killing birds? – [724 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7624 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7245 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3682 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3034 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]