NORTHERN MICHIGAN (WPBN/WGTU) – The Michigan Department of Natural Resources is hoping to increase the amount of bear hunting licenses this year.
Last week, the DNR made the recommendation to increase the quota by 160 licenses throughout the state due to an increase in the black bear population.
The DNR believes there is about 12,000 black bears in Michigan and about 1,500 are harvested each year.
Because the population is increasing, the DNR says they’ve received more nuisances complaints and want to control that.
” We want a health population of bear, we want to keep that natural fear bears have of humans and we have some areas of the state where our bear numbers are affecting our residents, and we don’t want bear to be a nuisance,” said DNR Wildlife Technician Katie Keen.
Keen says they’ve been seeing the most complaints about bears in the northern Lower Peninsula.
The Natural Resource Department is expected to make a decision within the next month.
You can apply for a bear hunting licenses starting May 1.
Read the full recommendation: 339352676-Bear-Regulations
This article was first published by UpNorthLive.com on 15 Feb 2017.
We invite you to share your opinion whether more bear hunting licenses should be issued? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Thank you for voting.
Editorial Comment: The purpose of this poll is to highlight important wildlife conservation issues and to encourage discussion on ways to stop wildlife crime. By leaving a comment and sharing this post you can help to raise awareness. Thank you for your support.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1641 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1621 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1609 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1219 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1152 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [967 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [824 Views]
- POLL: Could U.S. endangered species rules go extinct under Trump? [727 Views]
- Why do birds sing? [634 Views]
- An elk’s-eye view of migrating through Yellowstone [569 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42056 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16800 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13853 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8614 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8116 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8048 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7417 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6115 Views]