Five people were hurt, including one seriously, at Spain’s famed San Fermin running of the bulls festival, which was also marred by five arrests over allegations of sexual assault, authorities said.
Those hurt fell as they were chased by six rampaging bulls on a two-and-a-half minute dash through the narrow streets of Pamplona on the second day of the city’s nine-day fiesta.
The summer festival is the most famous of many across Spain and attracts thousands of revellers from across the world.
No-one was gored but a 56-year-old man was taken to hospital after fracturing his nose, hospital officials said.
Another man aged 66 suffered severe concussion while three others had minor injuries in a huge scrum of hundreds of people who joined the early-morning fray to see if they could outrun six bulls over 800 metres.
Organisers had warned participants beforehand “you can die” in a bull run, pointing to a death toll of “at least 16 since 1910”. The most recent fatality was in 2009.
On the same day police said they made five arrests after a woman said she had been sexually assaulted overnight, a police spokesman said.
The nationality of the suspects was not clear but a protest march against the assault was planned.
Ahead of the fiesta, a tradition dating back to medieval times, Pamplona city hall had launched a campaign urging a “safe” environment for women “without sexist aggression”.
This article was first published by abc.net.au on 07 Jul 2016.
We invite you to share your opinion whether Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival should be banned? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
In the event that you voted to ban Spain’s “running of the bulls” festival, please sign the petition:
Thank you for your support.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3481 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? – [2015 Views]
- POLL: Should Nevada’s wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [1800 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of young elephants to Chinese zoos be banned? – [1491 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grand Canyon Bison be culled? – [1316 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a total ban on trade in rhino horn? – [1262 Views]
- POLL: Should trail (fox) hunting on National Trust land be stopped? – [1169 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on the shark fin trade? – [1010 Views]
- POLL: Would you support the reintroduction of the wolf in the UK? – [789 Views]
- Radioactive Boar Wreak Havoc on Swedish Landscape – [767 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7626 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7215 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3692 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3037 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]