Five people were hurt, including one seriously, at Spain’s famed San Fermin running of the bulls festival, which was also marred by five arrests over allegations of sexual assault, authorities said.
Those hurt fell as they were chased by six rampaging bulls on a two-and-a-half minute dash through the narrow streets of Pamplona on the second day of the city’s nine-day fiesta.
The summer festival is the most famous of many across Spain and attracts thousands of revellers from across the world.
No-one was gored but a 56-year-old man was taken to hospital after fracturing his nose, hospital officials said.
Another man aged 66 suffered severe concussion while three others had minor injuries in a huge scrum of hundreds of people who joined the early-morning fray to see if they could outrun six bulls over 800 metres.
Organisers had warned participants beforehand “you can die” in a bull run, pointing to a death toll of “at least 16 since 1910”. The most recent fatality was in 2009.
On the same day police said they made five arrests after a woman said she had been sexually assaulted overnight, a police spokesman said.
The nationality of the suspects was not clear but a protest march against the assault was planned.
Ahead of the fiesta, a tradition dating back to medieval times, Pamplona city hall had launched a campaign urging a “safe” environment for women “without sexist aggression”.
This article was first published by abc.net.au on 07 Jul 2016.
We invite you to share your opinion whether Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival should be banned? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
In the event that you voted to ban Spain’s “running of the bulls” festival, please sign the petition:
Thank you for your support.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2000 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers be allowed to continue? [1376 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of Borneo’s pygmy elephants be stopped? [1078 Views]
- New year, new birds: 10 newly-recognised species [1037 Views]
- POLL: Should Arab sheikhs be allowed to hunt bustards? [912 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [910 Views]
- New Estimate: There are Over 18,000 Bird Species on Earth [714 Views]
- POLL: Should neonicotinoid pesticides be banned to save our bees? [710 Views]
- Kissing cows are to blame for bovine TB – so stop this bloody badger cull [693 Views]
- POLL: Should Poland’s bison hunting plan be allowed to go ahead? [683 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41993 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16711 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13927 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13714 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11106 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9779 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8542 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8291 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8033 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7356 Views]