Five people were hurt, including one seriously, at Spain’s famed San Fermin running of the bulls festival, which was also marred by five arrests over allegations of sexual assault, authorities said.
Those hurt fell as they were chased by six rampaging bulls on a two-and-a-half minute dash through the narrow streets of Pamplona on the second day of the city’s nine-day fiesta.
The summer festival is the most famous of many across Spain and attracts thousands of revellers from across the world.
No-one was gored but a 56-year-old man was taken to hospital after fracturing his nose, hospital officials said.
Another man aged 66 suffered severe concussion while three others had minor injuries in a huge scrum of hundreds of people who joined the early-morning fray to see if they could outrun six bulls over 800 metres.
Organisers had warned participants beforehand “you can die” in a bull run, pointing to a death toll of “at least 16 since 1910”. The most recent fatality was in 2009.
On the same day police said they made five arrests after a woman said she had been sexually assaulted overnight, a police spokesman said.
The nationality of the suspects was not clear but a protest march against the assault was planned.
Ahead of the fiesta, a tradition dating back to medieval times, Pamplona city hall had launched a campaign urging a “safe” environment for women “without sexist aggression”.
This article was first published by abc.net.au on 07 Jul 2016.
We invite you to share your opinion whether Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival should be banned? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
In the event that you voted to ban Spain’s “running of the bulls” festival, please sign the petition:
Thank you for your support.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2461 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1689 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should Alaska’s refuges be opened for hunting again? [1368 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1242 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1135 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1050 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [926 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [837 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16838 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14122 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12633 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11131 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8641 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7427 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5378 Views]