Five people were hurt, including one seriously, at Spain’s famed San Fermin running of the bulls festival, which was also marred by five arrests over allegations of sexual assault, authorities said.
Those hurt fell as they were chased by six rampaging bulls on a two-and-a-half minute dash through the narrow streets of Pamplona on the second day of the city’s nine-day fiesta.
The summer festival is the most famous of many across Spain and attracts thousands of revellers from across the world.
No-one was gored but a 56-year-old man was taken to hospital after fracturing his nose, hospital officials said.
Another man aged 66 suffered severe concussion while three others had minor injuries in a huge scrum of hundreds of people who joined the early-morning fray to see if they could outrun six bulls over 800 metres.
Organisers had warned participants beforehand “you can die” in a bull run, pointing to a death toll of “at least 16 since 1910”. The most recent fatality was in 2009.
On the same day police said they made five arrests after a woman said she had been sexually assaulted overnight, a police spokesman said.
The nationality of the suspects was not clear but a protest march against the assault was planned.
Ahead of the fiesta, a tradition dating back to medieval times, Pamplona city hall had launched a campaign urging a “safe” environment for women “without sexist aggression”.
This article was first published by abc.net.au on 07 Jul 2016.
We invite you to share your opinion whether Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival should be banned? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
In the event that you voted to ban Spain’s “running of the bulls” festival, please sign the petition:
Thank you for your support.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [1383 Views]
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1120 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [1007 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [967 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [817 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [701 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [626 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [617 Views]
- Heroic Boat Captain Rescues Entangled Great White Shark [614 Views]
- Live donkey fed to tigers in shareholder protest at Chinese zoo [587 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42100 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11134 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [10607 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8675 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8246 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7444 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4685 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4657 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4609 Views]