An annual contest that encourages hunters to kill as many coyotes as they can in one day will be going ahead on Saturday, despite threats against the organizer.
The DKD Coyote Tournament will be holding its fifth annual competition just outside of Edmonton — the event’s Facebook page says the location of the check-in will be announced the day of.
Teams of two are encouraged to hunt down as many coyotes as possible. Awards are handed out not only for the number caught, but for side categories such as “smallest coyote” and “mangiest coyote.”
The rules specify that coyotes must be hunted: “NO road kills, Poisoned, Trapped, or Snared entries accepted.”
“When we glorify killing at that level… it leaves a bad taste in most people’s mouths,”
The organizer, Paul, who says he only goes by his first name for his family’s safety as he has received threats, told the Calgary Sun he feels the only reason people are upset is because he called the event a “contest.”
Lesley Sampson, a member of Coyote Watch Canada, says culls like this can actually be harmful to the social structure of coyote packs.
“When we glorify killing at that level … it leaves a bad taste in most people’s mouths,” Sampson told CTV News in advance of last year’s hunt.
Coyote hunting is legal in Alberta, as long as the hunter has permission to do so on the land.
“Guys are out shooting coyotes, no matter what. This is just some friendly competition between teams,” says Paul, in an interview with CBC News.
We invite you to share your opinion whether the Alberta coyote hunting contest should be stopped? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
In the event that you voted to stop the Alberta coyote hunting contest, please sign the petition:
Thank you for your support.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1651 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1624 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1613 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1259 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1153 Views]
- POLL: Should Alaska’s refuges be opened for hunting again? [1071 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [922 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [833 Views]
- POLL: Could U.S. endangered species rules go extinct under Trump? [730 Views]
- Why do birds sing? [638 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42059 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16806 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13856 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8614 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8098 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8049 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7417 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6115 Views]