An annual contest that encourages hunters to kill as many coyotes as they can in one day will be going ahead on Saturday, despite threats against the organizer.
The DKD Coyote Tournament will be holding its fifth annual competition just outside of Edmonton — the event’s Facebook page says the location of the check-in will be announced the day of.
Teams of two are encouraged to hunt down as many coyotes as possible. Awards are handed out not only for the number caught, but for side categories such as “smallest coyote” and “mangiest coyote.”
The rules specify that coyotes must be hunted: “NO road kills, Poisoned, Trapped, or Snared entries accepted.”
“When we glorify killing at that level… it leaves a bad taste in most people’s mouths,”
The organizer, Paul, who says he only goes by his first name for his family’s safety as he has received threats, told the Calgary Sun he feels the only reason people are upset is because he called the event a “contest.”
Lesley Sampson, a member of Coyote Watch Canada, says culls like this can actually be harmful to the social structure of coyote packs.
“When we glorify killing at that level … it leaves a bad taste in most people’s mouths,” Sampson told CTV News in advance of last year’s hunt.
Coyote hunting is legal in Alberta, as long as the hunter has permission to do so on the land.
“Guys are out shooting coyotes, no matter what. This is just some friendly competition between teams,” says Paul, in an interview with CBC News.
We invite you to share your opinion whether the Alberta coyote hunting contest should be stopped? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page:
Thank you for voting.
In the event that you voted to stop the Alberta coyote hunting contest, please sign the petition:
Thank you for your support.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2799 Views]
- POLL: Should South Africa’s canned hunting industry be banned? [1883 Views]
- POLL: Should Mozambique’s wildlife park be funded by trophy hunting? [1392 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of elephants for “entertainment” be banned? [1217 Views]
- POLL: Should Asia’s elephant tourism be banned? [968 Views]
- Bald Eagle Adopts Baby Hawk Instead of Eating Him [911 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife-killing “cyanide bombs” be banned? [897 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of wild animals in circuses be banned? [880 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone Grizzlies be removed from the Endangered List? [859 Views]
- POLL: Should the owning of exotic pets be banned? [745 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16900 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11095 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [10111 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8689 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8233 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4711 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [4081 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3771 Views]
- POLL: Should the coyote continue to be exterminated? [3448 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of snares be banned in the UK? [2609 Views]