Animal advocates are celebrating progress in an effort to ban wild and exotic animals in New York City circuses, but the measure still needs support.
The New York City Council is currently considering a bill introduced by council members Rosie Mendez and Corey Johnson that would ban dozens of species of “wild or exotic animals for public entertainment or amusement,” ranging from elephants and big cats to bears and non-human primates.
Lawmakers point out in the bill that there are many reasons why using wild animals as performers puts their welfare at risk. Circus animals are subjected to frequent travel and extended periods of confinement, and they’re denied the ability to socialize or engage in other natural behaviors. Often, these animals also endure coercive and physically abusive training techniques.
Research, numerous undercover investigations and news reports have highlighted some of the violent abuses that performing animals face behind the scenes, including food restrictions, beating and other blatant mistreatment.
Ultimately, using animals this way takes a serious toll on them both physically and mentally — and that, in turn, puts public safety at risk.
If passed, the bill will likely have a major impact on UniverSoul Circus, which regularly uses wild animals, and has come under fire on multiple occasions for mistreating its performers. UniverSoul was banned from the city in 2014 after officials found that animals were being kept in inappropriate conditions, but the company was later allowed to return.
This week the City Council’s Committee on Health voted unanimously to pass the bill, which means it will soon go to the full council for a vote.
“Keeping exotic animals in captivity, transporting them around the country and requiring them to perform tricks night after night for human amusement is in our view inherently inhumane,” emphasized Councilman Corey Johnson, chair of the health committee.
Not only would this bill help protect animals and humans, it would set an amazing example for even more cities across the U.S. to follow. The legislation has received widespread support from the public and national animal advocacy organizations, but unfortunately, it faces some pushback from the circus industry, which is lobbying hard to see it fail.
Please sign and share this Care2 petition asking New York City council members to take a compassionate stand for animals by passing this important bill.
You can also help by signing and sharing the petition in support of a federal ban that would end the use of wild and exotic animal performances across the U.S.
For more on international efforts to protect wild animals from cruelty and exploitation, check out Stop Circus Suffering.
This article was first published by Care2.com on 16 Jun 2017.
We invite you to share your opinion whether the use of wild animals in circuses should be banned? Please vote and leave your comments at the bottom of this page.
Thank you for voting.
Editorial Comment: The purpose of this poll is to highlight important wildlife conservation issues and to encourage discussion on ways to stop wildlife crime. By leaving a comment and sharing this post you can help to raise awareness. Thank you for your support.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7348 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3204 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [2964 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting in Kyrgystan be banned? – [1728 Views]
- POLL: Should SeaWorld be closed down? – [1522 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? – [1125 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone’s Iconic Grizzly Bears be Stripped of Federal Protection? – [1023 Views]
- POLL: Should roadside zoos be closed down? – [978 Views]
- POLL: Should trail (fox) hunting on National Trust land be stopped? – [822 Views]
- POLL: Should we prevent our cats from killing birds? – [815 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7819 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2068 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [2028 Views]