Most people know Prince Edward Island (PEI) for Anne of Green Gables, red soil and potatoes. I can confirm that all of these things exist on the island (especially the potatoes, they are everywhere!), but it was the Prince Edward Island birding that really excited me.
In August there are shorebirds galore, mixed warbler flocks, Bald Eagles aplenty and more Great Blue Herons that I’ve ever seen.
PEI is also a landscaper’s dream with endless deserted beaches, lighthouses and quiet maritime scenes.
Read on to find out my impressions of PEI and to get some ideas if you decide to visit the “garden of the gulf” yourself.
Prince Edward Island Birding: Shorebirds
Shorebirds are lacking this year in Ottawa, but I certainly got my fix in PEI. At first I was worried about finding them, but I soon realized that every beach at low tide is a shorebirder’s paradise. We were staying off-the-beaten track on the west coast of PEI and it didn’t take me long to find a fantastic shorebirding beach in West Point (right across the road from The Catch restaurant).
I lay down on the red sand (everyone knows you have to lie down to get the best shorebird photos!) and was surrounded by shorebirds. After an hour of photography bliss, I shook off the sand and joined my friends for a wonderful seafood lunch. This is PEI!
Prince Edward Island Birding: Other Birds
To maximize my limited time (I was travelling with non-birders), I focused on shorebirds. Of course, I couldn’t help but notice some of the other birds around me. In terms of birds of prey, I saw many Bald Eagles, Osprey, Northern Harriers and American Kestrels. Warbler migration appeared to be in full swing – I passed by one mixed flock and had 7 species without much effort.
I saw a group of Common Eiders off the beach at the accommodation where I was staying. I also noticed a lot of Common Nighthawks around. Finally, there were more Great Blue Herons on PEI than I’ve ever seen in one place before! At low tide, you could see up to 25 individuals in one mud flat.
Favourite PEI Places
I was in two minds about whether to visit the famous Cavendish beach in PEI’s National Park, but in the end I’m glad that I did. The road that leads to the beach is dotted with tacky tourist attractions, but the beach itself is beautiful. I was warned about crowds, but at 4pm at the end of August I didn’t find it crowded at all.
We walked west down the beach and came across a wonderful collection of birds where a river met the sea. Bonaparte’s Gulls, Common and Caspian Terns, Great-blue Herons galore and shorebirds! Further out to the Gulf of St. Lawrence you could see Northern Gannets torpedoing into the water. Piping Plovers nest in Prince Edward Island National park, but I didn’t see any.
Hi! My name is Laura and I’m a birder and nature photographer living in Ottawa, Canada. I started this blog in September 2016 to share my passion for the natural world and to pass on my knowledge about birding and photography. I also want to inspire YOU to go on your own birding adventures, both near and far!
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7201 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3186 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [2939 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting in Kyrgystan be banned? – [1710 Views]
- POLL: Should SeaWorld be closed down? – [1520 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for continuing to slaughter whales? – [1112 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone’s Iconic Grizzly Bears be Stripped of Federal Protection? – [1013 Views]
- POLL: Should roadside zoos be closed down? – [976 Views]
- Karma? Another Trophy Hunter Has Been Killed by an Elephant [859 Views]
- POLL: Should we prevent our cats from killing birds? – [811 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8014 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2068 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [2028 Views]