Africa Birding … Get the shot!
It’s not easy. Some of my best images are a result of one main asset. Tenacity.
A subject is always ready to give you something special, are you ready to accept it? A yawn, a lift off, a flight, bird on bird interaction, mating, fights!!! Everything is out there, happening all the time, BUT! Are you ready?
Believe it or not, I have stared through my viewfinder for as many as 35 -40 minutes, to get that shot. I am not kidding. And I mean non-stop. To waste that split second that it takes to get your camera up, ready, on your subject, focused, and with the right settings is the number one reason that I miss great shots.
Imagine that image of the spurfowl below. Sweet light right behind us, early in the morning, tack sharp, tons of time. This bird was warming up after a long cool night in the am sunshine. Sooner or later it is going to jump and fly off that perch. So, it’s decision time, how long can you do it! Stare through that viewfinder until it makes its move? How Long? We, when your in Tanzania, not too long. There is too much out there, and my guests would not have the patience for me to get that dream shot.
So, we drive on, and I can only wish. In the end, the shot I am referring to is the bee-eater. We park for lunch, and naturally, mine has been eaten. While my guests relax at a picnic table, and browse their images, I am wandering around, looking for that shot. In short, a bee-eater eating a bee is a shot I have never seen in the past… how did I get it… tenacity. 25 minutes, crouched near this birds favorite perch, being harassed by every bug in the park, and ignoring them… for that shot!
Many photographers think you need the best camera, flash, tripod, head, lens, on and on, but what you really need is the desire and tenacity to secure the opportunity.
The beauty of nature, and natural light is there for everyone. I hope you have enjoyed this short series from Africa, some new articles coming soon from another superb photography location.. Costa Rica!
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2632 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [537 Views]
- Video: Watch what happens when you give a squirrel a GoPro » [505 Views]
- Video: Killer Whales Attack Pod of Narwhal » [500 Views]
- Video: Rare Black Sea Devil Caught on Film for the First Time » [451 Views]
- Video: Incredible footage shows leopard attacking two male antelope while they fight » [443 Views]
- Grey seals identified as killers behind mystery harbour porpoise deaths » [419 Views]
- Video: Watch the Incredible Migration of Thousands of Giant Spider Crabs in Australia » [386 Views]
- New Pictures of Hollywood Cougar Show Sleeker, Healthier Cat » [372 Views]
- Listen to New Bird Species Discovered in Brazil: Cryptic Treehunter » [369 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7969 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7406 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5657 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4898 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4698 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4006 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3187 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3180 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2925 Views]