Africa Birding … Get the shot!
It’s not easy. Some of my best images are a result of one main asset. Tenacity.
A subject is always ready to give you something special, are you ready to accept it? A yawn, a lift off, a flight, bird on bird interaction, mating, fights!!! Everything is out there, happening all the time, BUT! Are you ready?
Believe it or not, I have stared through my viewfinder for as many as 35 -40 minutes, to get that shot. I am not kidding. And I mean non-stop. To waste that split second that it takes to get your camera up, ready, on your subject, focused, and with the right settings is the number one reason that I miss great shots.
Imagine that image of the spurfowl below. Sweet light right behind us, early in the morning, tack sharp, tons of time. This bird was warming up after a long cool night in the am sunshine. Sooner or later it is going to jump and fly off that perch. So, it’s decision time, how long can you do it! Stare through that viewfinder until it makes its move? How Long? We, when your in Tanzania, not too long. There is too much out there, and my guests would not have the patience for me to get that dream shot.
So, we drive on, and I can only wish. In the end, the shot I am referring to is the bee-eater. We park for lunch, and naturally, mine has been eaten. While my guests relax at a picnic table, and browse their images, I am wandering around, looking for that shot. In short, a bee-eater eating a bee is a shot I have never seen in the past… how did I get it… tenacity. 25 minutes, crouched near this birds favorite perch, being harassed by every bug in the park, and ignoring them… for that shot!
Many photographers think you need the best camera, flash, tripod, head, lens, on and on, but what you really need is the desire and tenacity to secure the opportunity.
The beauty of nature, and natural light is there for everyone. I hope you have enjoyed this short series from Africa, some new articles coming soon from another superb photography location.. Costa Rica!
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Ray Barlow's passion for capturing birds and wildlife began at the Manila Zoo in 2004. Since then he has established himself as a professional bird and wildlife photographer. Ray is based near to Toronto Canada and hosts photography travel tours and workshops around the world. He goes to places like Yellowstone, Tanzania, Costa Rica, India, and British Columbia. Action photography including animals in chase or birds such as hummingbirds in flight is Ray's specialty. Now being sponsored by Jobu Design gimbal Heads.
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the dolphinarium project in Arizona be stopped? [4089 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [3174 Views]
- POLL: Should bear trafficking in Southeast Asia be stopped? [2428 Views]
- Wild Tigers of India – in Battle! [1581 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade of polar bear parts be banned? [1292 Views]
- Animals Rule Chernobyl 30 Years After Nuclear Disaster – [1283 Views]
- POLL: Should bear-bile farming be banned? [1274 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in rare lizard species be banned? [1159 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in wild birds be stopped? – [975 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [973 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15267 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? [14319 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [9922 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? [7759 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? [6744 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6139 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? [5891 Views]
- POLL: Should ‘canned’ lion hunting be banned? [5683 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [5400 Views]
- POLL: Should whales and dolphins be kept in captivity for our entertainment? [5286 Views]