Africa Birding … Get the shot!
It’s not easy. Some of my best images are a result of one main asset. Tenacity.
A subject is always ready to give you something special, are you ready to accept it? A yawn, a lift off, a flight, bird on bird interaction, mating, fights!!! Everything is out there, happening all the time, BUT! Are you ready?
Believe it or not, I have stared through my viewfinder for as many as 35 -40 minutes, to get that shot. I am not kidding. And I mean non-stop. To waste that split second that it takes to get your camera up, ready, on your subject, focused, and with the right settings is the number one reason that I miss great shots.
Imagine that image of the spurfowl below. Sweet light right behind us, early in the morning, tack sharp, tons of time. This bird was warming up after a long cool night in the am sunshine. Sooner or later it is going to jump and fly off that perch. So, it’s decision time, how long can you do it! Stare through that viewfinder until it makes its move? How Long? We, when your in Tanzania, not too long. There is too much out there, and my guests would not have the patience for me to get that dream shot.
So, we drive on, and I can only wish. In the end, the shot I am referring to is the bee-eater. We park for lunch, and naturally, mine has been eaten. While my guests relax at a picnic table, and browse their images, I am wandering around, looking for that shot. In short, a bee-eater eating a bee is a shot I have never seen in the past… how did I get it… tenacity. 25 minutes, crouched near this birds favorite perch, being harassed by every bug in the park, and ignoring them… for that shot!
Many photographers think you need the best camera, flash, tripod, head, lens, on and on, but what you really need is the desire and tenacity to secure the opportunity.
The beauty of nature, and natural light is there for everyone. I hope you have enjoyed this short series from Africa, some new articles coming soon from another superb photography location.. Costa Rica!
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the tradition of throwing wild turkeys from a plane be allowed? – [1938 Views]
- POLL: Should the Rare Spirit Bear Be Protected From Hunters? – [1652 Views]
- POLL: Should Arizona’s wild cats be protected from trophy hunters? – [1315 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of bears as living tourist attractions be banned? – [1205 Views]
- POLL: Should Dolphinariums As Tourist Attractions Be Closed Down? – [1073 Views]
- POLL: Should animal traps in our National Wildlife Refuges be banned? – [1067 Views]
- POLL: Should Orcas and Dolphins be freed from all Seaquariums? – [1033 Views]
- POLL: Should the Alaska Refuge be opened up for drilling? – [992 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump’s elephant trophy hunting plan be stopped? – [924 Views]
- POLL: Should performing elephants in circuses be banned? – [794 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7645 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [6544 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3799 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3788 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3605 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3057 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]