Africa Bird Photography
Imagine your first trip to Africa. You arrive in a 747 to an airport so small! Lost luggage, lineups, tired, and it is 1 am. I meet my partner Nas, and his great guide Nickson, and off we drive to my first lodge. Hungry?? Yes! So Nas wakes up 4 people from the cooking staff, and they prepare a dinner for me at 2 am. (and it was awesome!!)
This is the hospitality that you can expect in Africa. In 3 hours, I was awake, and ready to go for the first and most awesome game drive. My first shot? I just had it printed 24 x 16″ of a single Zebra, in a misty rain. Still, one of my favorite images of over 24,000 taken during 2 tours to the most amazing Tanzania.
What lies ahead for us? You might not associate Tanzania and birds, but for sure you will if you ride with me. Every turn has a new shot waiting for you. With a sharp eye, you will see so many great chances for bird images. The guests who ride with me are always amazed, I see shots, and situations that even the best guides in Africa miss. The secret is simple, intense concentration. “Focus” You need to search like a crime scene investigator for the ultimate angle.
The subjects are everywhere, but the images are only there for those who have a vision. There is always a shot, and one that can be creative if you work at your skills, and get past all the tech stuff. We can easily fuss over f stops, forever! But that is a waste of time.
Angle, story telling, point of view… these are the subjects that i like to teach while working on Bird and Wildlife Photography.
More stories and images coming up in the final part 3 of this series.
Ps. I will never forget that first dinner in Tanzania! special thanks to the great folks of Karama Lodge, Arusha., the very best.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41417 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [8840 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [6910 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4347 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4325 Views]
- POLL: Should animals be kept in zoos and circuses? [2850 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy and big game hunting be banned? [2507 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of animals by Wildlife Services be stopped? [2126 Views]
- POLL: Should the UK halt its failed badger cull policy? [2086 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1485 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41419 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15267 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? [14355 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12403 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [9971 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [7667 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [6900 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? [6805 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6136 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [6111 Views]