One fine morning, we are in our luxury safari tents, and my guest George is brushing his teeth, I get up for my morning chores, not knowing the excitement that awaits us. George, David and myself have had a superb tour at this point, we all agreed during our fine dinner the night before, that anything else would be the icing on the cake.
Imagine, 2 safari trucks fired up at 6 am, long before the sun, misty dew everywhere, a coffee, and a few biscuits, and we start on the trail. Doug and Linda in the other truck hardy had a word to say, well, it’s early! So, how far did we travel? About 500 yards! Here she was laying down in a dried up river bed, February 18th, 2011.
Yes, we woke her up.
Amazing thing about these cats in Tanzania, they have no fear of safari trucks. She sat up, licked her chops, had a nice long stretch, then proceeded to her duties, which is nothing more then survival. Long lenses with a big, and gorgeous cat make life simple in the Serengeti. We could keep a distance of 60-80 yards, and still find some spectacular angles. I fired at least 800 frames on this morning with her, and she posed like a princess.
At some point, we simply had to leave her, and let this amazing gift of nature get on with her life. So, she decided to take a rest under a tree, and just survey the territory form a nice vantage point out in the open. she was laying down with her head up, in a very calm state.
I had to get out.
With permission from our guide, I climb out of the truck away from the animal, and crawl underneath to get a low angle. (last shot #9) Somehow, the clicks from my camera caught her attention. Her head and neck lifted, she turned to me with such a curious look on her face, it was incredible. Right away, my friends are suggesting… ” Rayyyyy!!”, well you can imagine the words.
Did I run?
Not a chance, I realized this was a once in a lifetime opportunity, she stared down my lens with an intense look, that at first, got my attention. I had to make a decision, stay or go… so I knew from all the Africa documentaries I have watch since a young child, that cheetahs are not at all aggressive with humans.
She got up! And started walking towards me, I hung on for a few seconds, and decided, before I get yelled at by our guide, I had better sneak back into the vehicle. Quietly, and safely, I was back in my seat, from there we left her alone, and she wandered off.
A story I will tell so long as I live, and enjoy each memory of this One Fine Morning.
Raymond Barlow Photography Tours will connect you with the wildlife photography that you dream about, Tanznaia, Costa Rica, Newfoundland, India, or the Grizzly Bears of British Columbia.
We offer several tours around the world, private workshops, group rates. Please review the latest tour info on this webpage, and thanks for your visit here with “Focus on Wildlife”.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1652 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1626 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1614 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1260 Views]
- POLL: Should Alaska’s refuges be opened for hunting again? [1182 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1154 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [917 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [841 Views]
- Why do birds sing? [639 Views]
- An elk’s-eye view of migrating through Yellowstone [576 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42059 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16807 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13865 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12064 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8614 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8089 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8049 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7417 Views]