I’ve been chronicling this pair of Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) and submitting their breeding records to Cornell Lab for the last four years. Last year was not so good as the pair hatched two eyas and lost them after a huge storm in late May.
I never saw them at the nest after that storm and I guess I’ll never know what happened. You can see the last photos and video I took of them with the male bringing a snake back to the nest for mama hawk’s dinner.
This day, the hawks were very vigilant as they were both near the tower where they built the new nest last year.
Just a few weeks ago, there were two eyas in the nest and now there is one. I have no idea what happened to the other chick but it looks like they will have an easier time with the single eyas this year.
As you can see from the video, these photos are digiscoped from quite a distance.
As the female perched on the old nest like a statue, the adult male was quite active and vocal, calling from nearby trees and towers. Here he is wondering what this Bullock’s Oriole is doing in his territory.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a Red-tailed Hawk webcam with awesome videos you can see at their channel. I have embedded this one showing two eyas being fed and the third egg being pipped.
For more more up to the minute news on bird conservation issues, check my “Birds in the News” page, brought to you by the American Bird Conservancy. You will also find posts on local birds and birding in California on my blog The Birder’s Report.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [5887 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on South Africa’s horn trade be lifted? » [3463 Views]
- POLL: Should whaling by Iceland and Norway be banned? » [2843 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [1755 Views]
- POLL: Should New Zealand fur seals be culled in South Australia? » [1345 Views]
- The most beautiful crocodile photos we’ve ever seen » [1141 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of baby elephants to China be stopped? » [1136 Views]
- Crow Tries to Fight Eagle, Gets Free Ride Instead » [934 Views]
- Saving the dhole: The forgotten ‘badass’ Asian dog more endangered than tigers » [878 Views]
- Six fishy reasons why humans should steer well clear of the sea » [827 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [10794 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10727 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7574 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [7195 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4551 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [4370 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4021 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on South Africa’s horn trade be lifted? » [3464 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [3261 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3127 Views]