I’ve been chronicling this pair of Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) and submitting their breeding records to Cornell Lab for the last four years. Last year was not so good as the pair hatched two eyas and lost them after a huge storm in late May.
I never saw them at the nest after that storm and I guess I’ll never know what happened. You can see the last photos and video I took of them with the male bringing a snake back to the nest for mama hawk’s dinner.
This day, the hawks were very vigilant as they were both near the tower where they built the new nest last year.
Just a few weeks ago, there were two eyas in the nest and now there is one. I have no idea what happened to the other chick but it looks like they will have an easier time with the single eyas this year.
As you can see from the video, these photos are digiscoped from quite a distance.
As the female perched on the old nest like a statue, the adult male was quite active and vocal, calling from nearby trees and towers. Here he is wondering what this Bullock’s Oriole is doing in his territory.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a Red-tailed Hawk webcam with awesome videos you can see at their channel. I have embedded this one showing two eyas being fed and the third egg being pipped.
For more more up to the minute news on bird conservation issues, check my “Birds in the News” page, brought to you by the American Bird Conservancy. You will also find posts on local birds and birding in California on my blog The Birder’s Report.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [2021 Views]
- In Photos: “Drunk” mountain gorilla punches wildlife photographer » [1179 Views]
- Inaguan Lyretail: Scientists Unveil New Species of Hummingbird » [1137 Views]
- Poll: Should the illegal trapping of birds in Cyprus be stopped? » [767 Views]
- Hilarious Video: Attenborough interrupted by Bird of Paradise » [754 Views]
- Owl attacks joggers and steals their hats » [670 Views]
- Fishermen get crafty to circumvent shark fin ban » [661 Views]
- Poll: Should Zimbabwe be allowed to export baby elephants? » [625 Views]
- Desert Tawny Owl: New Species of Bird Discovered » [599 Views]
- Video: Superb Owl Sunday » [589 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10682 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4434 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4099 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3772 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3477 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2917 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2779 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [2658 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2648 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [2450 Views]