I’ve been chronicling this pair of Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) and submitting their breeding records to Cornell Lab for the last four years. Last year was not so good as the pair hatched two eyas and lost them after a huge storm in late May.
I never saw them at the nest after that storm and I guess I’ll never know what happened. You can see the last photos and video I took of them with the male bringing a snake back to the nest for mama hawk’s dinner.
This day, the hawks were very vigilant as they were both near the tower where they built the new nest last year.
Just a few weeks ago, there were two eyas in the nest and now there is one. I have no idea what happened to the other chick but it looks like they will have an easier time with the single eyas this year.
As you can see from the video, these photos are digiscoped from quite a distance.
As the female perched on the old nest like a statue, the adult male was quite active and vocal, calling from nearby trees and towers. Here he is wondering what this Bullock’s Oriole is doing in his territory.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a Red-tailed Hawk webcam with awesome videos you can see at their channel. I have embedded this one showing two eyas being fed and the third egg being pipped.
For more more up to the minute news on bird conservation issues, check my “Birds in the News” page, brought to you by the American Bird Conservancy. You will also find posts on local birds and birding in California on my blog The Birder’s Report.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [3891 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? » [2867 Views]
- POLL: Should the Spanish bullfighting tradition be banned? » [2221 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect the red squirrel? » [1531 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? » [1480 Views]
- After 60 million years of extreme living, seabirds are crashing » [1428 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of baby elephants to China be stopped? » [1384 Views]
- POLL: Should the grizzly bear be taken off the Endangered Species List? » [1361 Views]
- POLL: Should “Drive Hunt” Slaughter of Wildlife be Banned? » [1324 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [1323 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [14092 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11285 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [8431 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [8034 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [5432 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4751 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [4672 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4371 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3891 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [3856 Views]