I’ve been chronicling this pair of Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) and submitting their breeding records to Cornell Lab for the last four years. Last year was not so good as the pair hatched two eyas and lost them after a huge storm in late May.
I never saw them at the nest after that storm and I guess I’ll never know what happened. You can see the last photos and video I took of them with the male bringing a snake back to the nest for mama hawk’s dinner.
This day, the hawks were very vigilant as they were both near the tower where they built the new nest last year.
Just a few weeks ago, there were two eyas in the nest and now there is one. I have no idea what happened to the other chick but it looks like they will have an easier time with the single eyas this year.
As you can see from the video, these photos are digiscoped from quite a distance.
As the female perched on the old nest like a statue, the adult male was quite active and vocal, calling from nearby trees and towers. Here he is wondering what this Bullock’s Oriole is doing in his territory.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a Red-tailed Hawk webcam with awesome videos you can see at their channel. I have embedded this one showing two eyas being fed and the third egg being pipped.
For more more up to the minute news on bird conservation issues, check my “Birds in the News” page, brought to you by the American Bird Conservancy. You will also find posts on local birds and birding in California on my blog The Birder’s Report.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6678 Views]
- Poll: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [1977 Views]
- Angry hippo flings newborn calf into the air » [1181 Views]
- Recently rediscovered hummingbird faces extinction » [1097 Views]
- Video: Mother Owl Takes On Snake – and Wins » [1042 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [870 Views]
- Thought-to-be-extinct ‘halloween’ frog rediscovered in Costa Rica » [766 Views]
- The triumph of the bison: Europe’s biggest animal bounces back a century after vanishing » [728 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [725 Views]
- A third of Europe’s birds under threat, says most comprehensive study yet » [678 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11829 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10680 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6906 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4019 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3818 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3712 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3520 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [3004 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2967 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2704 Views]