I’ve been chronicling this pair of Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) and submitting their breeding records to Cornell Lab for the last four years. Last year was not so good as the pair hatched two eyas and lost them after a huge storm in late May.
I never saw them at the nest after that storm and I guess I’ll never know what happened. You can see the last photos and video I took of them with the male bringing a snake back to the nest for mama hawk’s dinner.
This day, the hawks were very vigilant as they were both near the tower where they built the new nest last year.
Just a few weeks ago, there were two eyas in the nest and now there is one. I have no idea what happened to the other chick but it looks like they will have an easier time with the single eyas this year.
As you can see from the video, these photos are digiscoped from quite a distance.
As the female perched on the old nest like a statue, the adult male was quite active and vocal, calling from nearby trees and towers. Here he is wondering what this Bullock’s Oriole is doing in his territory.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a Red-tailed Hawk webcam with awesome videos you can see at their channel. I have embedded this one showing two eyas being fed and the third egg being pipped.
For more more up to the minute news on bird conservation issues, check my “Birds in the News” page, brought to you by the American Bird Conservancy. You will also find posts on local birds and birding in California on my blog The Birder’s Report.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [2281 Views]
- 13 newly-discovered birds declared extinct » [611 Views]
- Shooters set their sights on UK’s last remaining ruddy ducks » [586 Views]
- 87 new bird species considered threatened with extinction » [549 Views]
- Monkeys use field scientists as human shields against predators » [424 Views]
- Over a million pangolins slaughtered in the last decade » [377 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [341 Views]
- Hundreds of thousands of birds accidentally poisoned every year » [332 Views]
- POLL: RSPB picks a fight over grouse shooting » [332 Views]
- POLL: Should Barred Owls be Shot to Save Spotted Owls? » [326 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [28201 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12184 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [11598 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7917 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7908 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7006 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5610 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5162 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4613 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4063 Views]