I’ve been chronicling this pair of Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) and submitting their breeding records to Cornell Lab for the last four years. Last year was not so good as the pair hatched two eyas and lost them after a huge storm in late May.
I never saw them at the nest after that storm and I guess I’ll never know what happened. You can see the last photos and video I took of them with the male bringing a snake back to the nest for mama hawk’s dinner.
This day, the hawks were very vigilant as they were both near the tower where they built the new nest last year.
Just a few weeks ago, there were two eyas in the nest and now there is one. I have no idea what happened to the other chick but it looks like they will have an easier time with the single eyas this year.
As you can see from the video, these photos are digiscoped from quite a distance.
As the female perched on the old nest like a statue, the adult male was quite active and vocal, calling from nearby trees and towers. Here he is wondering what this Bullock’s Oriole is doing in his territory.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a Red-tailed Hawk webcam with awesome videos you can see at their channel. I have embedded this one showing two eyas being fed and the third egg being pipped.
For more more up to the minute news on bird conservation issues, check my “Birds in the News” page, brought to you by the American Bird Conservancy. You will also find posts on local birds and birding in California on my blog The Birder’s Report.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [805 Views]
- Shot Egyptian vulture leads conservationists to bizarre black-market for bird parts » [595 Views]
- Cuckoos’ shameless egg-laying tactics revealed » [455 Views]
- Japan kills 30 minke whales in first hunt since UN court order » [437 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [423 Views]
- Albatross Internet Darling Takes First Flight » [350 Views]
- Elachuridae: Ornithologists Describe New Family of Passerine Birds » [349 Views]
- Threatened Species ‘Red List’ Warns 90 Percent of Lemur Species Face Extinction » [315 Views]
- Video: Polar Bear Cam Provides Unique View into Arctic Life » [314 Views]
- Video: Horseshoe Crabs Mate in Annual Beach “Orgy” » [308 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33737 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [27981 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [12162 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12089 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [9851 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7858 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6997 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5515 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5264 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5094 Views]