I’ve been chronicling this pair of Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) and submitting their breeding records to Cornell Lab for the last four years. Last year was not so good as the pair hatched two eyas and lost them after a huge storm in late May.
I never saw them at the nest after that storm and I guess I’ll never know what happened. You can see the last photos and video I took of them with the male bringing a snake back to the nest for mama hawk’s dinner.
This day, the hawks were very vigilant as they were both near the tower where they built the new nest last year.
Just a few weeks ago, there were two eyas in the nest and now there is one. I have no idea what happened to the other chick but it looks like they will have an easier time with the single eyas this year.
As you can see from the video, these photos are digiscoped from quite a distance.
As the female perched on the old nest like a statue, the adult male was quite active and vocal, calling from nearby trees and towers. Here he is wondering what this Bullock’s Oriole is doing in his territory.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a Red-tailed Hawk webcam with awesome videos you can see at their channel. I have embedded this one showing two eyas being fed and the third egg being pipped.
For more more up to the minute news on bird conservation issues, check my “Birds in the News” page, brought to you by the American Bird Conservancy. You will also find posts on local birds and birding in California on my blog The Birder’s Report.
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » [2554 Views]
- PETITION: Stop the massive slaughter of migratory birds in Egypt! » [1826 Views]
- POLL: Should canned hunting in Arizona be banned? » [1713 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [1217 Views]
- If You Care About Birds, Watch This 4-Minute Video » [1179 Views]
- » [1105 Views]
- » [1096 Views]
- » [952 Views]
- 6 Reasons You Should Be Drinking “Bird-Friendly” Coffee » [890 Views]
- » [823 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [32414 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [25919 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11388 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [9684 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [6698 Views]
- POLL: Should the trial cull of badgers go ahead? » [4362 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4327 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4261 Views]
- Cyclist Has Amazing Encounter with a Mountain Lion in Los Angeles » [3845 Views]
- Egypt is the Worst Place to Be a Migratory Bird – Shocking Video » [3581 Views]