I’ve been chronicling this pair of Red-tailed Hawks (Buteo jamaicensis) and submitting their breeding records to Cornell Lab for the last four years. Last year was not so good as the pair hatched two eyas and lost them after a huge storm in late May.
I never saw them at the nest after that storm and I guess I’ll never know what happened. You can see the last photos and video I took of them with the male bringing a snake back to the nest for mama hawk’s dinner.
This day, the hawks were very vigilant as they were both near the tower where they built the new nest last year.
Just a few weeks ago, there were two eyas in the nest and now there is one. I have no idea what happened to the other chick but it looks like they will have an easier time with the single eyas this year.
As you can see from the video, these photos are digiscoped from quite a distance.
As the female perched on the old nest like a statue, the adult male was quite active and vocal, calling from nearby trees and towers. Here he is wondering what this Bullock’s Oriole is doing in his territory.
Cornell Lab of Ornithology has a Red-tailed Hawk webcam with awesome videos you can see at their channel. I have embedded this one showing two eyas being fed and the third egg being pipped.
For more more up to the minute news on bird conservation issues, check my “Birds in the News” page, brought to you by the American Bird Conservancy. You will also find posts on local birds and birding in California on my blog The Birder’s Report.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [647 Views]
- Video: Mountain Lions Caught on Camera in San Francisco Bay Area » [571 Views]
- Video: Drone Captures Amazing Humpback Whale Feeding Event on Camera » [539 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [425 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [422 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [377 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [370 Views]
- Video: What’s the Difference Between Rabbits and Hares? » [355 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [350 Views]
- How Killer Fungus Burns Up Bats From the Inside » [331 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10695 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7989 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4726 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4510 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4029 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3377 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3081 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2934 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2899 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2784 Views]