This morning I drove to the Seminole Ranch Conservation Area. The parking area for it is right across the street from Orlando Wetlands Park. If there’s no hunt planned for the day, you can get there as early as you like and walk to the St. John’s River. The trail takes you to the St. Johns just north of Lake Cone. There’s another trail that may have taken me a bit farther south, and I may try that next time, but it will probably be a longer walk.
There was some great sparrow habitat along the walk. Major parts looked wonderful for Le Conte’s Sparrow, and I heard calls in three places sounded looked like ammodramus calls. I suspect that’s what they were, but I only got my eyes on one, and I didn’t see it long enough to be sure.
The area was loaded with Swamp and Savannah Sparrows as well as Sedge and Marsh Wrens. Common Yellowthroats and Palm Warblers were also abundant. My first sparrow of the morning was a surprising White-crowned Sparrow. I’ve never had one by the St. John’s before.
My main goal was to get to the St. Johns to look for shorebirds. I’ve never been to this part of the St. Johns before, and I didn’t know quite what to expect. When I made it to the river, life got really hard. The river’s edge was extremely soft in places and once I sunk one boot deep into the mud. I managed to get out without filling my boot with water, but I got mud all over my pants and hands getting myself out. I was really hoping the birds out here would be worth that. Farther north in Seminole Co, there are lots of yellowlegs, dowitchers, snipe, Dunlin, and Least Sandpipers along the river’s edge. I wanted Dunlin for my Orange Co. year list. Thankfully, I saw all these species, but not in the numbers I’m accustomed to seeing them in Seminole County.
In all I walked 6 miles, and about a half mile of it was pretty slow going. I think it was worth the hike. I got my Dunlin, I found a very surprising White-crowned Sparrow, and I found some wonderful Le Conte’s habitat with a likelihood of seeing them in the future. I have yet to see that species in Orange Co.
Scott Simmons, based in Florida, is a lover of nature, landscape, and wildlife photography. Scott became interested in photography in 2001 when he was given his first SLR camera. When he acquired a telephoto lens, he became progressively more interested in birds and other wildlife. Scott enjoys learning about bird habitats and behavior, striving always to take images that are both beautiful and interpretive. Scott believes photography is a great vehicle to help others to appreciate the wonder for the stuff of earth.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? – [3473 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? – [2008 Views]
- POLL: Should Nevada’s wild horses be protected from roundups and slaughter? – [1793 Views]
- POLL: Should the export of young elephants to Chinese zoos be banned? – [1489 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grand Canyon Bison be culled? – [1316 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a total ban on trade in rhino horn? – [1260 Views]
- POLL: Should trail (fox) hunting on National Trust land be stopped? – [1169 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on the shark fin trade? – [1007 Views]
- POLL: Would you support the reintroduction of the wolf in the UK? – [759 Views]
- 5 Cruel Animal Traditions That Make No Sense Today – [738 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should hunting with hounds be banned? – [7626 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [7233 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of bears and wolves be banned? – [3685 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers in the UK be finally stopped? – [3036 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2873 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2667 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2578 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2322 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [2289 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [2081 Views]