Quantcast
Mar 052012

At the end of January last year I was surfing the internet, reading birding blogs, when I discovered a January 14th post by Kimberly Kaufman titled “Help us prevent paradise island from becoming paradise lost…”, about the 75 year-old Audubon Camp located on Hog Island in Muscongus Bay. Her message was so compelling that I immediately went to the Hog Island Audubon Camp website and registered for a summer environmental educator’s workshop called “Sharing Nature”.

Fast forward to mid July, 2011: After wending my way up the coast from Portland, with a stop at Reid State Park (an important and scarce sandy beach habitat fornesting Piping Plovers),I arrived at the dock in Bremen, Maine on the first afternoon to board the boat for the short trip across the channel to the camp.

Upon landing, I found my dorm room in one of the early 20th century cottages. There was ample time for some coffee or tea and to chat with other campers-some of whom were there on scholarships from their local Audubon societies, as well as to explore a bit of the island before dinner.

As I walked the trails that first afternoon, looking and listening for birds, I savored the beautyandpeacefulness ofthe place, and thought about its history.

Not having been to Maine before, I had learned, prior to my visit, that summer 2011 was a watershed season as well as the 75th anniversary of Maine Audubon Camp.

The camp had been on the brink of closure due to financial losses, but a newly formed group of passionate conservationists called “Friends of Hog Island” had been instrumental in saving it.

I would find out for myself over the course of the next four days why this was a worthwhile endeavor.

On the second day, a boat tour around the island gave us a chance to see the inner channels of Muscongus Bay, which were dotted with numerous colorful buoys, each one indicating a submerged lobster trap.

Each morning and afternoon we had a choice of workshop activitiesthat included birdwatching, wildlife hikes, writing andsketching, pond and bog explorations on the mainland, and an intertidal exploration for the entire group on the last full day of the workshop.

The highlight of the week was a trip out to Eastern Egg Rock, an important nesting site for Atlantic Puffins, which have been restored to the island through the efforts of Project Puffin. Everyone boarded the boat with binoculars in anticipation of seeing lifers. Fortunately, the weather was gorgeous and we all got great looks at the puffins, Eiders, Cormorants, Black Guillemots, Terns, and hordes of gulls as we circled the small island. It was both fun and challenging to shoot photographs of seabirds from a moving boat.

Combine the location with a wonderful group of generous and giving instructors, fellow environmental educator campers, friendly camp staff-most of whom had been campers here before, with the gourmet meals served family-style at long tables, and you have a recipe for memories that will last a lifetime.

The entire collection of photographs from my week on Hog Island can be viewed here.

These images were also part of a series on my photoblog.

Share on social media:

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedintumblrmail
Julie Brown

Julie Brown

Julie L. Brown has a passion for wildlife photography. She uses a camera to document and enhance her experiences in the field, and her blogs to share those images with others.

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Anita Bower
Guest
4 years 5 months ago

Congratulations on being part of this project. Thanks for sharing your experience in lovely Maine!

Denny Jump
Guest
Denny Jump
4 years 5 months ago
Hi Julie – This was a wonderful piece that you wrote and I remember very well your obvious excitement during the posts that you shared on your AM3 blog last year. It was really contagious and I could just feel your elation. After reading your post here, It is a small wonder why you were so happy. It seems that we are losing track of what is imiortant to the world. I hope an pray that the Friends and others are able to maintain this wonderful and important research and learning center forever. Best wishges to you and all of… Read more »
Paul Douglas
Guest
Paul Douglas
4 years 6 months ago

Hi, Julie!
Great job with this blog. Good information and story — and great pictures! I went to your smugmug site and viewed the slideshow.
My parents loved Maine. After retirement, they lived in Maine for several summers, and i think one or 2 winters. My Mother was a birder – and her favorite Maine bird was the puffin. Thanks for the pics.

Cricci19
Guest
Cricci19
4 years 6 months ago

Thanks so much for this trip down memory lane Julie…My experience at Hog Island was life changing for me. Your words and pictures captured the essence of our serene, hope-filled, educational week.

Meghan
Guest
Meghan
4 years 6 months ago

Excellent article and pictures. Brought back a lot of memories from last summer! Keep up the great work!!

Lori Young
Guest
Lori Young
4 years 6 months ago

Hey Julie! I was so happy to read this blog. I was there this past summer with you and it was such an amazing experience and you captured it so perfectly in this blog. I hope to go back someday, as I am sure you do, take care and keep on enjoying nature for all she has to offer!
-Lori Young

Barbara Thomas
Guest
Barbara Thomas
4 years 6 months ago

This looks like a fun and worthwhile trip. Nice work!

janina
Guest
janina
4 years 6 months ago

These are the sorts of adventures and causes I’d be into, most definitely. A lovely article and collection of images. Excellent.

Rick Franks
Guest
Rick Franks
4 years 6 months ago

Enjoyed reading the article and seeing the photos for the first time….keep it up Julie.

Supertrooper
Member
4 years 6 months ago

Julie, looks like you found a magical place to spend time during the summer. I guess the tranquility of the location helps to make it so atmospheric. That and the rich diversity of the wildlife on this stretch of the coast. Congratulations on your first article richly illustrated with great images.

wpDiscuz

Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days

1. POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [8127 Views]
  2. POLL: Should Japan’s “research whaling” program be closed down? [1954 Views]
  3. Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1363 Views]
  4. Rare desert lions of ‘five musketeers’ fame poisoned [1241 Views]
  5. POLL: Should Norway’s plan to cull its wolves be abandoned? [1229 Views]
  6. The biologist terrifying the US Forest Service, timber and forest fire-fighting industries [1189 Views]
  7. POLL: Should Japan’s killing of dolphins and whales be stopped? [953 Views]