Short-toed Eagles are medium sized eagles that specialise in hunting reptiles. As their name suggests they have evolved with shorter toes that enable the bird to flex and squeeze their talons into a tight grip that prevents in particular snakes and lizards from wriggling free.
As slippery as a snake is quite a true expression and highlights how this bird has overcome this particular problem.
The Short-toed Eagle (Circaetus gallicus) although a fair size, can hover when hunting and from a distance you can pick out their form or structure in the sky and identify them from other large birds.
Their pale underside often showing barring and their darker face or ‘hood’ and dark wing tips are diagnostic features. Many younger birds are often lighter with less under markings.
Stephen Daly, has been birding since he was eight years old in his native Scotland. After living in Germany and France he established Andalucian Guides the successful birding and wildlife tour company on The Strait of Gibraltar in Spain and has been living here since 2001. Photographing birds in flight is one passion and his photos can be found in many books, magazines and journals. Studying bird behaviour and bird migration are two other positive aspects of being based on one of the busiest migration routes on Earth.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the MOTV trophy hunting channel be closed down? [1645 Views]
- POLL: Should captivity for all killer whales be banned? [1199 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a tough crack down on the killing of raptors? [1187 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of lions be banned? [1171 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting be banned? [1142 Views]
- POLL: Should the keeping of dolphins in captivity be banned? [1109 Views]
- POLL: Should the pangolin slaughter in Africa be banned? [882 Views]
- POLL: Should Asia’s elephant tourism be banned? [772 Views]
- POLL: Should the culling of Scotland’s mountain hares be banned? [706 Views]
- Selfie-Seeking Men Kidnap, Injure Endangered Florida Deer [692 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16946 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [10178 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9400 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4734 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [4084 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3791 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2857 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2633 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2569 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2312 Views]