American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [2840 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [2250 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [1956 Views]
- POLL: Should Grey Squirrels be Culled in the UK? » [1350 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [818 Views]
- Watch: How Did a Young Elephant Drive Off 14 Lions? » [721 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts » [565 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [513 Views]
- POLL: Should the Canadian Government bring an end to the annual seal slaughter? Shocking Video! » [501 Views]
- Ornithologists Map Family Tree of Mysterious Cotinga Birds » [485 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7962 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7404 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5657 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4750 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4679 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4014 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3205 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3052 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2907 Views]