American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [758 Views]
- Iceland’s Seabird Colonies Are Vanishing, With “Massive” Chick Deaths » [558 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [481 Views]
- The 1,300 Bird Species Facing Extinction Signal Threats to Human Health » [424 Views]
- Barn owls ‘threatened’ by new legislation » [407 Views]
- VOTE for the Best Photo of the Week 20 Sep 2014 » [388 Views]
- Russia Stops Japanese Whaling Ship Dead In Its Tracks » [387 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [365 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [336 Views]
- Petition: Russia, Stop Wild Orca Captures! » [318 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12275 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7934 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7407 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7016 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [6780 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5639 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [5393 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5214 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4701 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4394 Views]