American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Poll: Should animals be trophy hunted to support conservation? » [702 Views]
- Video: Mountain Lions Caught on Camera in San Francisco Bay Area » [589 Views]
- Video: Drone Captures Amazing Humpback Whale Feeding Event on Camera » [541 Views]
- Video: Camera traps capture rare footage of wild bonobos » [428 Views]
- Video: Can We Stop Millions of Birds From Crashing Into Windows? » [423 Views]
- Video: Christmas Island’s Incredible Red Crab Migration » [379 Views]
- Video: Panda Playing in Snow Goes Viral » [370 Views]
- Awe-inspiring images of birds by Ofer Levy » [369 Views]
- Video: What’s the Difference Between Rabbits and Hares? » [355 Views]
- Video: Gamekeeper jailed in Scotland for killing bird of prey » [350 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10695 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7990 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4725 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4506 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4037 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3402 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3080 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2934 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2909 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [2791 Views]