American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1008 Views]
- 13 newly-discovered birds declared extinct » [688 Views]
- Shooters set their sights on UK’s last remaining ruddy ducks » [595 Views]
- 87 new bird species considered threatened with extinction » [562 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [449 Views]
- Monkeys use field scientists as human shields against predators » [428 Views]
- Over a million pangolins slaughtered in the last decade » [382 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [347 Views]
- Hundreds of thousands of birds accidentally poisoned every year » [339 Views]
- POLL: RSPB picks a fight over grouse shooting » [334 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [28259 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12208 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7913 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7892 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [7706 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7008 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5617 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5173 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4640 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4300 Views]