American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [3412 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [2143 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [710 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [679 Views]
- Iceland’s Seabird Colonies Are Vanishing, With “Massive” Chick Deaths » [571 Views]
- Barn owls ‘threatened’ by new legislation » [438 Views]
- The 1,300 Bird Species Facing Extinction Signal Threats to Human Health » [433 Views]
- Russia Stops Japanese Whaling Ship Dead In Its Tracks » [402 Views]
- Scientists uncover five new species of ‘toupee’ monkeys in the Amazon » [381 Views]
- POLL: Should the Monk Parakeet be eradicated in the UK? » [360 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12362 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7976 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7938 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7100 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5645 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [5265 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4858 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4722 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4269 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [3890 Views]