American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1681 Views]
- Shot Egyptian vulture leads conservationists to bizarre black-market for bird parts » [684 Views]
- Join the 1st World Giraffe Day and help save these gentle giants » [656 Views]
- Cuckoos’ shameless egg-laying tactics revealed » [462 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [438 Views]
- Albatross Internet Darling Takes First Flight » [372 Views]
- Software can decode bird songs » [362 Views]
- Pelagornis sandersi: Paleontologist Discovers Largest-Ever Flying Bird » [320 Views]
- Widespread impacts of neonicotinoids ‘impossible to deny’ » [297 Views]
- POLL: Should Barred Owls be Shot to Save Spotted Owls? » [289 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33755 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [28022 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [12106 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [9898 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7881 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7000 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5579 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5271 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [5121 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4528 Views]