American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6206 Views]
- Poll: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [1550 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1169 Views]
- Angry hippo flings newborn calf into the air » [1159 Views]
- Recently rediscovered hummingbird faces extinction » [1081 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [838 Views]
- Thought-to-be-extinct ‘halloween’ frog rediscovered in Costa Rica » [736 Views]
- The triumph of the bison: Europe’s biggest animal bounces back a century after vanishing » [688 Views]
- Butterfly wings inspire cosmetics and bomb detectors » [627 Views]
- Police probe ship’s crew after nabbing smuggler with 24 rare birds in plastic bottles » [606 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11808 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10679 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [6436 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3997 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [3792 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [3706 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3530 Views]
- Poll: Should hunting of black bears in Florida be allowed? » [3002 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2962 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [2703 Views]