American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Saudi authorities sound warning on illegal hunting in rented farms [1497 Views]
- POLL: Should fox-hunting laws be strictly enforced? [1158 Views]
- POLL: Should the bear bile trade ban be strictly enforced? [985 Views]
- POLL: Should the harvesting of wild turtles be banned? [923 Views]
- POLL: Should this Canadian pipeline project be scrapped to save killer whales? [890 Views]
- The man saving 30,000 seabirds [791 Views]
- Elephant refugees flee to last stronghold in Africa [775 Views]
- 7 stunning forest birds we could soon lose forever [774 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [708 Views]
- Another Hen Harrier shot dead sparking fears for rare bird of prey [665 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41920 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16661 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [14027 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13457 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11093 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [8540 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8468 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8287 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8019 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7321 Views]