American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2014 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers be allowed to continue? [1376 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of Borneo’s pygmy elephants be stopped? [1102 Views]
- New year, new birds: 10 newly-recognised species [1047 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [966 Views]
- This man has just broken the record for most bird species seen in a year [893 Views]
- New Estimate: There are Over 18,000 Bird Species on Earth [726 Views]
- POLL: Should the Hawksbill turtle trade be closed down? [716 Views]
- POLL: Should orca entertainment shows be universally banned? [715 Views]
- Kissing cows are to blame for bovine TB – so stop this bloody badger cull [695 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41997 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16721 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13917 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13716 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11108 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9959 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8544 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8295 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8033 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7356 Views]