American Bird Conservancy (ABC), the leading bird conservation organization in the United States, advises that as coyotes continue to move into and around large cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Detroit, Los Angeles, and others, owners of cats should think twice before letting their pet roam free outdoors.
Studies show that outdoor cats make up 13-45 percent of coyote diets in those environments.
A study just published in the spring edition of The Wildlife Professional, focuses on the urban coyote reality and references sightings of the carnivore in Central Park and Manhattan. While coyote attacks on humans are rare, the study says that when human attacks have occurred, “…there is a correlation between high percentages of anthropogenic food sources – such as dog food, trash, and domestic cats.” It states further that reducing such incidents might require removing all exterior food sources, including cats.
According to one widely-cited scientific study on cat mortality from coyotes, Observations of Coyote-Cat Interactions by Shannon Grubbs of the University of Arizona and Paul Krausman of the University of Montana, coyotes regularly feed on cats. This study was published in the Journal of Wildlife Management, and chronicles researchers tracking coyotes in Tucson, Arizona, where 36 coyote-cat interactions were observed of which 19 resulted in coyotes killing cats.
Read full article, which was written and published by American Bird Conservancy
Leave a Comment
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- Israel leads the way using Barn Owls and Kestrels to replace Rodenticides » [1604 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [760 Views]
- Drone Captures Stunning Birds’-eye Video of Dolphin Superpod » [716 Views]
- How a River Otter Can Bag an Alligator for Lunch » [611 Views]
- POLL: Should the US ban the import and export of tiger bone wine? » [603 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [595 Views]
- HELP migrating birds WIN the “Race for Conservation” today » [463 Views]
- New York Backtracks on Plans to Eradicate Mute Swans » [428 Views]
- Feathers fly in Norwegian wild bird reality-TV show » [414 Views]
- Finnish reindeer sprayed with glow-in-the-dark liquid to prevent accidents » [408 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [33562 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [27234 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11838 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [11331 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [7892 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7647 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [6973 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5226 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [5141 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4862 Views]