Atlantic Grey Seal Halichoerus grypus
The Farne Islands are the most important area for breeding Atlantic grey seals in Europe. The islands are situated off the coast of Northumberland in North Eastern England and are controlled by the National Trust who manage the landings here. The national trust wardens live on the island and monitor the nesting sea birds and the Atlantic grey seal colony.
The Farne Islands can be accessed from Seahouses, a small fishing port on the Northumberland coast. There are many boat operators in the port to take you out to the Farne Islands. The operator I use is Serenity Boats http://www.farneislandtours.co.uk/ they operate a catamaran which is a more stable vessel than the other conventional boats. Because of the increased stability it is better for photography purposes photographing birds on the water and in particular for photographing the Atlantic grey seal
The Farne Islands is home to between 3000 and 4000 Atlantic grey seals, this is 50% of the worlds population of grey seals The colonies here are one of the most important in Europe, and this species of seal is the largest surviving carnivore in the British Isles. They live here on the Farne Islands all year round and during the pupping season of late October and November when they give birth to almost 1500 pups. This is an increase of 1000 or so pups being born each year since monitoring started over sixty years ago by the National Trust.
If you are in the area, the islands are very much worth a visit to see these magnificent mammals.
Here are some images from my most recent visit.
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » [2554 Views]
- If You Care About Birds, Watch This 4-Minute Video » [1180 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [1121 Views]
- » [1105 Views]
- » [1096 Views]
- » [952 Views]
- 6 Reasons You Should Be Drinking “Bird-Friendly” Coffee » [895 Views]
- » [823 Views]
- » [791 Views]
- » [731 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [32422 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [25930 Views]
- Massive Bird Slaughter Around the Mediterranean – Shocking Photos » [11392 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [9685 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [6709 Views]
- POLL: Should the trial cull of badgers go ahead? » [4362 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [4337 Views]
- Wildlife Photography – Ethics and Conservation Issues? » [4269 Views]
- Cyclist Has Amazing Encounter with a Mountain Lion in Los Angeles » [3849 Views]
- Egypt is the Worst Place to Be a Migratory Bird – Shocking Video » [3586 Views]