Atlantic Grey Seal Halichoerus grypus
The Farne Islands are the most important area for breeding Atlantic grey seals in Europe. The islands are situated off the coast of Northumberland in North Eastern England and are controlled by the National Trust who manage the landings here. The national trust wardens live on the island and monitor the nesting sea birds and the Atlantic grey seal colony.
The Farne Islands can be accessed from Seahouses, a small fishing port on the Northumberland coast. There are many boat operators in the port to take you out to the Farne Islands. The operator I use is Serenity Boats http://www.farneislandtours.co.uk/ they operate a catamaran which is a more stable vessel than the other conventional boats. Because of the increased stability it is better for photography purposes photographing birds on the water and in particular for photographing the Atlantic grey seal
The Farne Islands is home to between 3000 and 4000 Atlantic grey seals, this is 50% of the worlds population of grey seals The colonies here are one of the most important in Europe, and this species of seal is the largest surviving carnivore in the British Isles. They live here on the Farne Islands all year round and during the pupping season of late October and November when they give birth to almost 1500 pups. This is an increase of 1000 or so pups being born each year since monitoring started over sixty years ago by the National Trust.
If you are in the area, the islands are very much worth a visit to see these magnificent mammals.
Here are some images from my most recent visit.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [9030 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a ban on importing lion trophies? » [2130 Views]
- POLL: Should the Slaughter of Grouse be allowed to continue? » [1905 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1853 Views]
- POLL: Can lion trophy hunting support conservation? » [1817 Views]
- Video: Behold the iridescent glory of hummingbird feathers! » [1755 Views]
- POLL: When bears kill humans should they be slaughtered? » [1433 Views]
- Night parrot capture and tagging hailed as ‘holy grail’ moment for bird lovers » [1407 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [1398 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dallas Safari Club Auction be stopped? » [1389 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? » [13816 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [11193 Views]
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10743 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7939 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [7619 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [4982 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [4683 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4147 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [3505 Views]
- POLL: Should the ban on South Africa’s horn trade be lifted? » [3500 Views]