Atlantic Grey Seal Halichoerus grypus
The Farne Islands are the most important area for breeding Atlantic grey seals in Europe. The islands are situated off the coast of Northumberland in North Eastern England and are controlled by the National Trust who manage the landings here. The national trust wardens live on the island and monitor the nesting sea birds and the Atlantic grey seal colony.
The Farne Islands can be accessed from Seahouses, a small fishing port on the Northumberland coast. There are many boat operators in the port to take you out to the Farne Islands. The operator I use is Serenity Boats http://www.farneislandtours.co.uk/ they operate a catamaran which is a more stable vessel than the other conventional boats. Because of the increased stability it is better for photography purposes photographing birds on the water and in particular for photographing the Atlantic grey seal
The Farne Islands is home to between 3000 and 4000 Atlantic grey seals, this is 50% of the worlds population of grey seals The colonies here are one of the most important in Europe, and this species of seal is the largest surviving carnivore in the British Isles. They live here on the Farne Islands all year round and during the pupping season of late October and November when they give birth to almost 1500 pups. This is an increase of 1000 or so pups being born each year since monitoring started over sixty years ago by the National Trust.
If you are in the area, the islands are very much worth a visit to see these magnificent mammals.
Here are some images from my most recent visit.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [8973 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [2504 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [863 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [443 Views]
- » POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? [425 Views]
- POLL: Should Grey Squirrels be Culled in the UK? » [420 Views]
- Viral Shark Video Gives Rare Look at a Feeding Frenzy » [416 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [375 Views]
- Viral Photo of Great White Shark Stirs Debate Over Cages, Baiting » [335 Views]
- U.S. Indictment Accuses South African Brothers of Trafficking Rhino Horns » [334 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10993 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7944 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7352 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5648 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4823 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4692 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3915 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of wolves in British Columbia be banned? » [3533 Views]
- Trophy Hunting in Africa – Wildlife Slaughter in Graphic Images » [3497 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3150 Views]