Atlantic Grey Seal Halichoerus grypus
The Farne Islands are the most important area for breeding Atlantic grey seals in Europe. The islands are situated off the coast of Northumberland in North Eastern England and are controlled by the National Trust who manage the landings here. The national trust wardens live on the island and monitor the nesting sea birds and the Atlantic grey seal colony.
The Farne Islands can be accessed from Seahouses, a small fishing port on the Northumberland coast. There are many boat operators in the port to take you out to the Farne Islands. The operator I use is Serenity Boats http://www.farneislandtours.co.uk/ they operate a catamaran which is a more stable vessel than the other conventional boats. Because of the increased stability it is better for photography purposes photographing birds on the water and in particular for photographing the Atlantic grey seal
The Farne Islands is home to between 3000 and 4000 Atlantic grey seals, this is 50% of the worlds population of grey seals The colonies here are one of the most important in Europe, and this species of seal is the largest surviving carnivore in the British Isles. They live here on the Farne Islands all year round and during the pupping season of late October and November when they give birth to almost 1500 pups. This is an increase of 1000 or so pups being born each year since monitoring started over sixty years ago by the National Trust.
If you are in the area, the islands are very much worth a visit to see these magnificent mammals.
Here are some images from my most recent visit.
You may also like:
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? » [2853 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [1924 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned in South Africa? » [1661 Views]
- POLL: Should Grey Squirrels be Culled in the UK? » [1342 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [942 Views]
- Watch: How Did a Young Elephant Drive Off 14 Lions? » [693 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts » [544 Views]
- POLL: Should the Canadian Government bring an end to the annual seal slaughter? Shocking Video! » [494 Views]
- Ornithologists Map Family Tree of Mysterious Cotinga Birds » [486 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife hunting contests be permitted in Idaho? » [466 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- » POLL: Should the ban on fox hunting be relaxed in the UK? [10958 Views]
- POLL: Should the Faroe Islands’ whale slaughter be allowed to continue? » [7962 Views]
- POLL: Should the fox-hunting laws in the UK be relaxed? » [7401 Views]
- POLL: Should the Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji Cove be stopped? » [5656 Views]
- Petition: Stop Lion Canned Hunting in South Africa – Shocking Video » [4725 Views]
- Komodo and its Dragons » [4629 Views]
- POLL: Should bear hunting be banned in the US? » [3984 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? » [3202 Views]
- POLL: Should the wolf hunting contest in Idaho be stopped? » [3017 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s shameful tiger farms be closed down? » [2906 Views]