This is an old friend of mine, it’s one of the dippers from the cauld (Scottish name for a weir) at Melrose on the River Tweed in heart of the Scottish Borders in the UK. I see this little bird regularly as it’s a place I visit from time to time.
The dippers feed in the water margins along the River Tweed picking up invertebrates and the small fry from the slack water. A jaunty little bird, they are always busy and you can see them bobbing and dipping at the waters edge just before they go for a swim to find food. The dipper likes fast flowing water and they work a large territory along the river bank which they stay with all year unless the river freezes in the winter months. The birds are as agile under the water as they are above. The birds are generally monogamous but very occasionally a male will be bigamous. They start to breed in February but the can be as late as June when breeding.
The dipper is a good bird to watch as they will allow you to get quite close, which is ideal for photography, here are a few of the pictures taken.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Ron McCombe, A professional wildlife photographer, Ron lives in the Scottish Borders. He has travelled around Europe, North America and Canada in pursuit of his photographic goals. He concentrates his photography around the Borders Region of Scotland but travels up to the Highlands and Islands around Scotland running workshops in these areas. An award-winning photographer, Ron won the inaugural Scottish Nature Photographer of the Year 2010. His work can be seen in books, magazines and newspapers. He is passionate about Scotland and its amazing wildlife and promotes it in his lectures and illustrated talks all over the UK.
Leave a Comment
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41475 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [6866 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [5937 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4355 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4333 Views]
- POLL: Should animals be kept in zoos and circuses? [2858 Views]
- POLL: Should the UK halt its failed badger cull policy? [2114 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1404 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming in Finland be banned? [1359 Views]
- POLL: Should the EU support a total ban on the ivory trade? [1089 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41491 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [15267 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [12415 Views]
- POLL: Should hare coursing be banned in Ireland? [9975 Views]
- POLL: Should lion canned hunting be banned? [9578 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [7667 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [6920 Views]
- POLL: Should Africa’s poachers be shot on sight? [6811 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6136 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [6085 Views]