Photographer and dive instructor Ricardo Castilo might have been looking for sharks when he dipped into the cold, clear waters of Cuba’s Gardens of the Queen National Marine Park, but what he got was a toothy predator of a different sort: a 12-foot (3 metre) crocodile.
The huge reptilian wasn’t showing any signs of aggression, so Castillo carried on shooting, swimming with the animal for nearly an hour.
“It’s about knowledge and experience,” he says, noting that he was careful to steer clear of the animal’s flanks (where he might startle it).
“The risk is always there, they are wild,” he told Grind TV. “But the most scary part is when you see all this incredible wildlife lose its habitat because of man’s depredation and contamination.”
Castillo has long been fascinated with the natural world and its inhabitants, inspired by an early love for the sea that he hopes to pass on through his work.
“I still remember the first time I watched the ocean,” he recalls. “That day it caught me. Any image that provokes a reaction of wonder in people is a small step towards saving the world.
My work is a constant search to show … the magic of being part of the underwater world.”
This article was first published by Earth Touch Network on 14 Jul 2015.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2340 Views]
- POLL: Should South Africa’s canned hunting industry be banned? [1897 Views]
- POLL: Should Mozambique’s wildlife park be funded by trophy hunting? [1394 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of elephants for “entertainment” be banned? [1289 Views]
- POLL: Should Asia’s elephant tourism be banned? [1059 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of wild animals in circuses be banned? [959 Views]
- Bald Eagle Adopts Baby Hawk Instead of Eating Him [911 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife-killing “cyanide bombs” be banned? [897 Views]
- POLL: Should Yellowstone Grizzlies be removed from the Endangered List? [863 Views]
- POLL: Should the owning of exotic pets be banned? [745 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16900 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11093 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [10063 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8692 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8232 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4714 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [4081 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3775 Views]
- POLL: Should the coyote continue to be exterminated? [3450 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2808 Views]