According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,460 bird species are considered threatened with extinction (i.e. in the categories of “Critically Endangered”, “Endangered” and “Vulnerable”). This represents 13% of the total of 10,965 extant bird species in the world.
An additional 1,029 species are considered “Near Threatened” and 5 are “Extinct in the Wild”, giving a total of 2,489 species that are priorities for conservation.
We aim to create galleries for as many of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species as possible by:
1) Creating Species Galleries enriched with available media including photographs, video, audioclips and factsheets.
2) Conservation Status of Species will be marked CR (Critical), EN (Endangered), VU (Vulnerable), NT (Near Threatened) or LC (Least Concern).
3) Publishing Articles when the conservation status of any of these bird species changes and new information becomes available.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 225 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Critically Endangered (CR)”. A “Critically Endangered” species faces an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild. The photographs of the “Critically Endangered” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,029 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Near Threatened (NT)“. A “Near Threatened” species is close to qualifying for a threatened category in the near future. The photographs of the “Near Threatened” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
Share on social media:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the export of elephants to China be banned? [2010 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of badgers be allowed to continue? [1376 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of Borneo’s pygmy elephants be stopped? [1102 Views]
- New year, new birds: 10 newly-recognised species [1045 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [941 Views]
- This man has just broken the record for most bird species seen in a year [893 Views]
- New Estimate: There are Over 18,000 Bird Species on Earth [726 Views]
- POLL: Should orca entertainment shows be universally banned? [715 Views]
- POLL: Should the Hawksbill turtle trade be closed down? [712 Views]
- Kissing cows are to blame for bovine TB – so stop this bloody badger cull [695 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [41997 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16719 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13917 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13716 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11108 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9934 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8544 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8295 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8033 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7356 Views]