According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,460 bird species are considered threatened with extinction (i.e. in the categories of “Critically Endangered”, “Endangered” and “Vulnerable”). This represents 13% of the total of 10,965 extant bird species in the world.
An additional 1,029 species are considered “Near Threatened” and 5 are “Extinct in the Wild”, giving a total of 2,489 species that are priorities for conservation.
We aim to create galleries for as many of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species as possible by:
1) Creating Species Galleries enriched with available media including photographs, video, audioclips and factsheets.
2) Conservation Status of Species will be marked CR (Critical), EN (Endangered), VU (Vulnerable), NT (Near Threatened) or LC (Least Concern).
3) Publishing Articles when the conservation status of any of these bird species changes and new information becomes available.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 225 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Critically Endangered (CR)”. A “Critically Endangered” species faces an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild. The photographs of the “Critically Endangered” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,029 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Near Threatened (NT)“. A “Near Threatened” species is close to qualifying for a threatened category in the near future. The photographs of the “Near Threatened” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
Share on social media:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Finland’s 235 wolves be culled? [1638 Views]
- POLL: Should the Wildlife Trust’s campaign to slaughter grey squirrels be stopped? [1605 Views]
- POLL: Should all tiger farms in China be closed down? [1578 Views]
- POLL: Should Trump disband USDA Wildlife “Killing” Services? [1165 Views]
- POLL: Should more bear hunting licenses be issued? [1150 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [1056 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral cats be culled? [819 Views]
- POLL: Could U.S. endangered species rules go extinct under Trump? [726 Views]
- POLL: Should the Woolly Mammoth be resurrected through genetic engineering? [724 Views]
- Why do birds sing? [634 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42055 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16796 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13849 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11117 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8612 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8309 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [8128 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8048 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7416 Views]
- Wildlife Photo Adventure in Costa Rica! [6115 Views]