According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,460 bird species are considered threatened with extinction (i.e. in the categories of “Critically Endangered”, “Endangered” and “Vulnerable”). This represents 13% of the total of 10,965 extant bird species in the world.
An additional 1,029 species are considered “Near Threatened” and 5 are “Extinct in the Wild”, giving a total of 2,489 species that are priorities for conservation.
We aim to create galleries for as many of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species as possible by:
1) Creating Species Galleries enriched with available media including photographs, video, audioclips and factsheets.
2) Conservation Status of Species will be marked CR (Critical), EN (Endangered), VU (Vulnerable), NT (Near Threatened) or LC (Least Concern).
3) Publishing Articles when the conservation status of any of these bird species changes and new information becomes available.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 225 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Critically Endangered (CR)”. A “Critically Endangered” species faces an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild. The photographs of the “Critically Endangered” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,029 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Near Threatened (NT)“. A “Near Threatened” species is close to qualifying for a threatened category in the near future. The photographs of the “Near Threatened” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
Share on social media:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2469 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farming? [1721 Views]
- POLL: Should the USDA stop using cyanide bombs to control predators? [1532 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan be sanctioned for slaughtering Minke whales? [1487 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [1430 Views]
- POLL: Should Norway stop the annual slaughter of whales? [1250 Views]
- Badger buries entire cow in shocking new video [1050 Views]
- Is ‘Baiting’ an ethical way to photograph wild owls? [947 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of rhino horns be legalized? [841 Views]
- POLL: Should Australia’s feral horses be controlled by aerial culling? [727 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42073 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16838 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [14125 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [12650 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11132 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8641 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8315 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8061 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7428 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of giraffes be banned? [5378 Views]