According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,460 bird species are considered threatened with extinction (i.e. in the categories of “Critically Endangered”, “Endangered” and “Vulnerable”). This represents 13% of the total of 10,965 extant bird species in the world.
An additional 1,029 species are considered “Near Threatened” and 5 are “Extinct in the Wild”, giving a total of 2,489 species that are priorities for conservation.
We aim to create galleries for as many of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species as possible by:
1) Creating Species Galleries enriched with available media including photographs, video, audioclips and factsheets.
2) Conservation Status of Species will be marked CR (Critical), EN (Endangered), VU (Vulnerable), NT (Near Threatened) or LC (Least Concern).
3) Publishing Articles when the conservation status of any of these bird species changes and new information becomes available.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 225 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Critically Endangered (CR)”. A “Critically Endangered” species faces an extremely high risk of extinction in the wild. The photographs of the “Critically Endangered” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
According to the 2016 IUCN Red List, 1,029 of the world’s 10,965 extant bird species are “Near Threatened (NT)“. A “Near Threatened” species is close to qualifying for a threatened category in the near future. The photographs of the “Near Threatened” species below have been archived by our Species Champions.
Share on social media:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3674 Views]
- 10 amazing birds that have gone extinct [1209 Views]
- POLL: Should the trade in both raw and antique ivory be banned? [1204 Views]
- POLL: Should India’s export of tiger skin, parts and bones be stopped? [1093 Views]
- POLL: Is big game hunting important for African economies? [1062 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [973 Views]
- POLL: Should the use of exotic animal skins for fashion be banned? [966 Views]
- POLL: Should wildlife crime be enforced by tougher legislation? [786 Views]
- POLL: Should the Eurasian Lynx be rewilded? [776 Views]
- POLL: Should the grey squirrel be culled to protect red squirrels? [757 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42031 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16755 Views]
- POLL: Should the annual Canadian seal hunt be banned? [13871 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [13820 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11114 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [11079 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8602 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8303 Views]
- POLL: Should black bears be killed for Royal Guards’ fur caps? [8039 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7392 Views]