I finally gave in today and drove down to Thursley Common in Surrey to spend some time with the returning Cuckoo that’s taken a liking to having his diet supplemented by the locals. The merits of feeding it I’ll leave for others to debate but although I took no food with me there was a supply of caterpillar.
I arrived early but it took me about 90 minutes to find the field that the Cuckoo uses to feed despite following the calls of another bird for about a mile in the wrong direction. I enjoyed Stonechat, Redstart, Woodlark, Wood Warbler, Hobby and Buzzard to name a few before finally arriving at the correct field to find the Cuckoo sitting perched up in front of the five photographers already enjoying it.
I managed a few quick shots before it flew off and despite waiting three hours the bird didn’t return. So in five hours on site I had about five minutes of the Cuckoo but enough to fire off a few rounds. Lizards and a single Adder were also seen whilst waiting for the bird and a Redstart kept us entertained at close quarters. I popped into Frensham Common but failed to find the Red-foot through a complete lack of effort if I’m honest.
Essex Birder using the blog as a diary of my trips around the country chasing birds. Enjoying the places it takes me and the people I meet along the way. Great to spend time with my Dad and brother as we chase our year lists and grow our life list in the process.
Share this post with your friends
You may also like:
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the MOTV trophy hunting channel be closed down? [1714 Views]
- POLL: Should the trophy hunting of lions be banned? [1568 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a tough crack down on the killing of raptors? [1241 Views]
- POLL: Should captivity for all killer whales be banned? [1211 Views]
- POLL: Should the keeping of dolphins in captivity be banned? [1189 Views]
- POLL: Should trophy hunting be banned? [1156 Views]
- POLL: Should elephants be kept in captivity? [1014 Views]
- POLL: Should the pangolin slaughter in Africa be banned? [883 Views]
- POLL: Should the culling of Scotland’s mountain hares be banned? [715 Views]
- POLL: Should Praying Mantises be used for pest control? [688 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16951 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [9305 Views]
- POLL: Should the sale of elephant ivory be legalized? [4084 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [4083 Views]
- POLL: Should foxes be culled to protect domestic pets? [3795 Views]
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2869 Views]
- POLL: Should Canada ban the hunting of seals? [2662 Views]
- POLL: Should the Tories be allowed to bring back fox hunting? [2573 Views]
- POLL: Should wild elephants be sold to Chinese zoos? [2319 Views]
- POLL: Should Japan’s “research whaling” program be closed down? [2150 Views]