I finally gave in today and drove down to Thursley Common in Surrey to spend some time with the returning Cuckoo that’s taken a liking to having his diet supplemented by the locals. The merits of feeding it I’ll leave for others to debate but although I took no food with me there was a supply of caterpillar.
I arrived early but it took me about 90 minutes to find the field that the Cuckoo uses to feed despite following the calls of another bird for about a mile in the wrong direction. I enjoyed Stonechat, Redstart, Woodlark, Wood Warbler, Hobby and Buzzard to name a few before finally arriving at the correct field to find the Cuckoo sitting perched up in front of the five photographers already enjoying it.
I managed a few quick shots before it flew off and despite waiting three hours the bird didn’t return. So in five hours on site I had about five minutes of the Cuckoo but enough to fire off a few rounds. Lizards and a single Adder were also seen whilst waiting for the bird and a Redstart kept us entertained at close quarters. I popped into Frensham Common but failed to find the Red-foot through a complete lack of effort if I’m honest.
Share on social media:
You may also like:
Essex Birder using the blog as a diary of my trips around the country chasing birds. Enjoying the places it takes me and the people I meet along the way. Great to spend time with my Dad and brother as we chase our year lists and grow our life list in the process.
Top-Viewed Posts Last 30 Days
- POLL: Should the cruel sport of bullfighting be banned? [2279 Views]
- Karma Strikes Again: Trophy Hunter Killed by Elephant [1124 Views]
- POLL: Should all circuses with wild animals be closed down? [977 Views]
- ‘Kill them, kill them, kill them’: the volunteer army plotting to wipe out Britain’s grey squirrels [820 Views]
- Bald Eagle Adopts Baby Hawk Instead of Eating Him [772 Views]
- $10,000 reward offered to find killer of famous Yellowstone white wolf [701 Views]
- POLL: Should the Grizzly Bear be removed from the Endangered Species List? [688 Views]
- Gray Squirrels versus Red Squirrels – The Facts [642 Views]
- Heroic Boat Captain Rescues Entangled Great White Shark [622 Views]
- Elephants Can’t Wait to Meet New Rescued Baby at Sanctuary [617 Views]
Top-Viewed Posts Last 12 Months
- White Killer Whale Adult Spotted for First Time in Wild [42100 Views]
- POLL: Should there be a worldwide ban on fur farms? [16884 Views]
- POLL: Should Congress disband Wildlife “Killing” Services? [11108 Views]
- POLL: Should fur farming be banned in the European Union? [9198 Views]
- POLL: Should driven grouse-shooting be banned? [8679 Views]
- POLL: Should grouse shooting on highland estates be banned? [8246 Views]
- POLL: Should China’s dog meat festival be banned? [7448 Views]
- POLL: Should the killing of giraffes be outlawed? [4694 Views]
- POLL: Should the slaughter of pilot whales in the Faroes be stopped? [4659 Views]
- POLL: Should Spain’s “Running of the Bulls” festival be banned? [4609 Views]